From The TV IV
I Do is the sixth episode of the third season of Lost, and the fifty-fifth episode overall.
Jack makes a decision regarding Ben's offer, Kate feels helpless when it looks like an angry Pickett is going to make good on his threat to kill Sawyer, and Locke discovers a hidden message that may guide him through the next steps of his journey to unlocking the secrets of the island.
Starring: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Eko), Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond), Emilie de Ravin (Claire), Michael Emerson (Ben), Matthew Fox (Jack), Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Josh Holloway (Sawyer), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Evangeline Lilly (Kate), Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie), Terry O'Quinn (Locke), Kiele Sanchez (Nikki), Rodrigo Santoro (Paulo).
- Kate and Sawyer are in their cages at the Hydra. Pickett comes to fetch Kate for work, telling her that Sawyer gets the day off. Kate refuses to allow Pickett to separate them, so Picket fetches Sawyer from his cage. While working at the Others' site, an alarm sounds and the P.A. system announces there's a "compound breach." Two rocks streak from the jungle and hit two Others in the head. Alex bursts out with a slingshot and tells Kate and Sawyer to run, but Pickett points a gun at her. Alex demands to know where "he" is and demands to speak with Ben. An Other grabs her and she is dragged off. She yells at Kate to not trust them and warns her that they're going to kill her boyfriend, just like they killed hers. Juliet comes out to the site and talks to Pickett, telling him the schedule has been moved up, then goes to Kate and asks her to put a hood on and come with her. After Kate refuses to cooperate, Juliet tells her that Pickett is going to kill Sawyer, but if she puts on the hood and comes with her, she can do something to save his life. Kate puts on the hood and is taken to see Jack in his cell.
Alone with Jack, Kate tells him he has to perform the operation the Others want him to do. Jack demands to know what they did to her, and Kate tearfully tells him that they're going to kill Sawyer if he doesn't perform the operation. She tells him that Juliet said they would let them all go if he does it. Jack asks her if she really believes them, and Kate tells him that she has to. Jack tells the listening Others that the conversation is over. Kate begs Jack to help, but he isn't talking to her. Ben has Juliet take Kate back to her cage. Noticing the empty cage, Kate asks Juliet where Sawyer is. Juliet notes that Kate really cares about him, and says that she's sorry Kate wasn't able to help them. Pickett brings Sawyer back to his cage and warns him that, if there's anything he wants to say to his girl, he'd better say it tonight.
When they're alone, Kate tells Sawyer about Jack, the surgery and the Others' offer. Sawyer tells her that at least Jack wasn't dumb enough to do it. Kate said that she asked Jack to do it, and Sawyer asks her why she'd do a stupid thing like that. Kate tells him she was trying to save his life, that Pickett is going to kill him. Despite Sawyer's protests, Kate slips out of her cage and uses a rock to bash open the lock to Sawyer's cage. Sawyer tells her that there's no point in running as they're on a small island a couple miles offshore of the bigger one. She's angry that he didn't tell her this, but Sawyer tells her it was to give her hope that they had a chance. With the hope of escape dashed, Kate kissed Sawyer, fearing it would be his last day alive. The two have sex in his cage. Afterwards, Sawyer asks Kate if, when Pickett was beating him and Kate told him she loved Sawyer, she said it just to get Pickett to stop. Kate simply kisses Sawyer in response, and Sawyer tells her he loves her too.In the morning, Pickett appears with another Other to take Sawyer. Sawyer tries to fight them off, but the Other holds a gun to Kate's head. Pickett forces Sawyer out of his cage and onto his knees, telling Kate he wants her to watch Sawyer's death. Holding a gun at Sawyer's head, Pickett tells him he going to kill him for Colleen. Just then Tom comes over Pickett's walkie talkie and orders him to give the walkie talkie to Kate or the doctor is going to let Ben die. Jack tells Kate that she has about an hour's head start before the Others come after her. He tells her that, when she is safely away, to radio back to him the story he told her the day of the crash when she was sewing him up. Kate refuses to leave Jack behind, but Jack yells at her to run.
- Inside the Hydra, Jack is in his cell holding Ben's X-rays up to the light while Juliet and Ben look on from behind the glass wall. Jack informs Ben that his tumor is borderline inoperable, and it will be completely inoperable in a week. Ben will need immediate surgery, preferably starting yesterday. Ben tells Jack that he's ready, but Jack laughs and tells Ben that he's not going to do the operation. He just wanted to tell Ben how he's going to die. Jack isn't going to take Ben's word that, if he removes the tumor, the Others will just let him go. Ben is very disappointed in Jack, but Jack tells him that at least he won't have to be disappointed for very long.
Later, Juliet takes Kate to see Jack. Kate begs Jack to perform the operation, that they'll kill Sawyer if he doesn't, but they'll let them all go if he does. Jack asks her if she really believes they'll let them go, and Kate tells him she has to. Jack doesn't want to talk to Kate anymore. He tells the listening Others that they're done in there, and Ben has Juliet remove Kate from the room. That night, Jack wakes up to static coming over the intercom. He tries to use the intercom, but a woman's voice comes over it and tells Jack to try the door. Jack tries the door and discovers it's unlocked. He makes his way into the monitoring room and finds a weapons cabinet. He takes a pistol and prepares to leave when he notices something on one of the monitors - a partially-clothed Kate sleeping in Sawyer's arms. Ben comes in behind Jack and tells him that he was surprised too. Being held at gunpoint, Ben tells Jack that he thought she'd have gone for him. Jack lowers the gun and tells Ben that he'll do the operation first thing in the morning, but he wants Ben's word that he'll get Jack the hell off of the island.In the morning, Jack and Juliet are scrub up for surgery. He tells her that he'll need her to follow his orders exactly. Ben asks Jack if he gets nervous before surgery, and Jack replies that he used to but not anymore. Ben notes that, whatever happens, things will be very different afterward. He asks Juliet if Alex asked about him. She says no, and tells Ben that she sent Alex home last night and doesn't know where she is. As Jack begins to make incisions into Ben's back, Pickett and another Other leave Tom alone in the observation room. Jack makes an incision inside Ben and Ben's heart rate jumps. He knocks out an Other and orders Juliet away from table. Turning his attention to Tom, Jack informs him that an incision has been made in Ben's kidney sack and, if it's not stitched up within an hour, Ben is going to die. He orders Tom into the operating room with his walkie talkie. Using the walkie talkie, Jack tells Kate that she has about an hour's head start before the Others come after her. He tells her that, when she is safely away, to radio back to him the story he told her the day of the crash when she was sewing him up. Kate refuses to leave Jack behind, but Jack yells at her to run.
- At the site of Eko's death, Nikki asks what was responsible for Eko's death and Locke surmises that an animal, perhaps one of the bears, was responsible. Locke tells the group that went to the Pearl that they're going to bury Eko right there, since the people at the beach camp have had too many funerals lately. Locke and Sayid head off to get shovels, but Sayid questions Locke as to what really killed Eko. Locke tells Sayid that it was the "monster" that killed Eko. Sayid thinks Locke knows more about the monster than he is letting on. Locke tells Sayid that he thinks it might be what brought them there, that he thinks there was a reason it killed Eko, but he isn't sure what that is yet. Locke and Sayid make a detour to retrieve Eko's prayer stick before getting the shovels and returning. After burying Eko, Locke gives a eulogy. He tells those gathered that it didn't feel right to bury Eko without his prayer stick, and that he thinks Eko died for a reason and hopes it won't be long until they figure out what it might be. As he drives the prayer stick into the ground, Locke notices an engraving on the stick: "Lift up your eyes and look north."
- Flashback: Kate
Kate enters a motel room with a bag, opening the box inside to reveal a wedding veil. As she looks at it, there's knocking at the door; it's the police and they think someone extremely dangerous is in the motel. Kate opens the door, revealing a Miami-Dade police officer who asks her if she wants to get it on. Kate jumps into his arms and the two enter her motel room.
As they lie in bed together, Kate tells her fiancé — Kevin Callis — that it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. Kevin corrects her, telling her it's only bad luck to see the bride in her dress before the wedding and she is naked. It's twelve hours before Kevin and Monica (Kate's assumed name) are going to get married. Kevin reassures her that, even though their relationship has been moving fast, he loves her.
Just before the wedding ceremony, Kevin's mother, Suzanne, comes to see Kate. She gives Kate a necklace that she had hoped to pass on to her daughter on her wedding day, but since she doesn't have one, Kate will do. At the ceremony, the minister tells all those gathered that, when he first met Kate, he was struck by her honesty and devotion to Kevin. Kevin told him what he loved most about Kate was that "what you see is what you get." The two are married.
Some time later, Kate is shopping for groceries when she gets a call from Kevin. After their conversation about dinner, Kate heads to a pay phone and calls Edward Mars, the Marshal who's been pursuing her. She has a timer running, as the Marshal has another agent run a trace on the number. She tells him that she doesn't want to run anymore. Agent Mars asks her who the guy is and if he knows who she really is. She tells him that he loves the guy and asks him to let her go. He tells Kate that if she really stays put, and really settles down, he'll stop chasing her. After a long silence from Kate, Edward tells her that they both know that's not going to happen. Kate's timer rings and she hangs up.
Six months after the wedding, Kevin buys tickets for them to go to Costa Rica for their honeymoon. He tells her to get her passport ready, but notices that there's something wrong with Kate. Kate tells him it's nothing, that she loves him very much. The two kiss before Kevin heads off to go on duty.
Later, Kate takes a pregnancy test. It's negative. She takes some iced tea to Kevin, who is working on fugitive recovery reports for someone from Tampa. Kate asks Kevin what if she was a fugitive. She tells him she's on the run for blowing up her father, and it was only a matter of time before he found out. Kevin doesn't think it's funny, but Kate tells him it's not a joke. She says that she could nearly have been pregnant. She tells him that she can't live this life. Kevin tells "Monica" to calm down. Kate tells him that her name isn't Monica. She tells him that she loves him, but she can't stay. Kevin tries to stop Kate, but staggers about on his feet. Kate tells him she drugged his iced tea so suspicion wouldn't fall on him. She puts his mother's necklace into the now-unconscious Kevin's hand, kisses him and leaves.
- What schedule has been moved up?
- What does "lift up your eyes and look north" mean?
- Who is Jacob? What is his list?
- What is Ben's relationship with Alex?
The Cursed Numbers
- 4:8:15 can be seen carved into Eko's prayer stick. These are all cursed numbers.
- Kevin knocks on Kate's hotel room door 4 times.
- Kevin is one of 4 brothers.
- Jack tells Ben to count down from 20, but can only finish saying eight instead of eighteen. 8 is one of the cursed numbers.
- Pickett tells an Other that Shephard wasn't on Jacob's list. Jacob appears to be a previously unknown character.
- Jack, not knowing he's on a separate island, makes a desperate gambit to set Kate and Sawyer free.
- Locke, Sayid, Desmond, Nikki and Paulo bury Eko at the site of his death.
- The name of the Marshal is confirmed to be Edward Mars.
- Kate and Sawyer have sex, and admit they love each other.
- Alex makes a shoddy attempt to free Kate and Sawyer, but is stopped.
- 1x01 - Pilot, Part 1: Jack tells Kate that, once she is safe from the Others, to radio back to him the story he told her on the beach the day of the crash. This is the story of his first solo procedure as a surgeon, where he learned to let the fear in for only five seconds.
- 1x16 - Outlaws: When playing a game of "I Never" with Sawyer, Kate tells him that she was married once, but it didn't last long. In this episode's flashback, you see the aforementioned marriage.
- 2x09 - What Kate Did: While talking to Kevin, Kate refers to blowing up her father.
- 2x16 - The Whole Truth: In The Whole Truth, Kate tells Sun that she once took a pregnancy test. In this episode's flashback, you see the aforementioned pregnancy test.
- 3x02 - The Glass Ballerina: Pickett tries to separate Kate and Sawyer for work, but Kate reminds them that she and Sawyer are a team. In The Glass Ballerina, Pickett assigned Kate and Sawyer as a team to break up and haul rocks.
- 3x03 - Further Instructions: While eulogizing Eko, Locke mentions how Eko's prayer stick fell out of a tree and on top of him.
- 3x04 - Every Man for Himself: Sawyer asks Kate that, when Pickett was beating him and she told Pickett that she loved Sawyer, if she really meant it.
- Missing in Action: Claire, Hurley, Jin, Sun, and Charlie do not appear in this episode.
- Walther: When Jack discovers the weapons cabinet inside the Hydra, he pulls out a Walther P38 pistol. The Walther P38 was a pistol that was developed by Carl Walther GmbH Sportwaffen as the service pistol of the Wehrmacht in 1938. Production of the pistol for the Wehrmacht began in 1940 and, after World War II, production resumed in 1958 for West German Police and the Bundeswehr. The pistol remained in production, in several revised iterations, until the early 1990s. The Walther P38 uses 9 mm Parabellum ammunition in an 8 round detachable magazine.
- Kevin Callis: In Kate's flashback, Kevin's last name is revealed on his uniform - Callis.
- Miami Heat: In Kate's last flashback, Kevin is seen wearing a Miami Heat shirt. The Miami Heat logo present was used from around 1989 to 1999.
- The Marshal: Although the Marshal's real name was revealed on the Oceanic-Air.com website during season one, this is the first time the Marshal's name has been mentioned in the show. The character has simply been credited as "The Marshal" since the "Pilot."
- Kate the Drugger: In Kate's flashback she drugs Kevin's drink so he passes out. In "The Greater Good," Kate drugged Jack's drink with crushed up sleeping pills. She also gave Sun the idea to spike Jin's water in "Born to Run" to prevent him from going on the raft.
Behind the Scenes
- Location, Location, Location: The hotel Kate uses is the Renaissance Ilikai Waikiki Hotel in Honolulu, HI. Kate's wedding takes place inside The Parish of St. Clement in Honolulu, HI and the same location is used for Edward Mars' office. The supermarket Kate shops at is the Beretania Store of Times Supermarkets in Honolulu, HI.
Allusions and References
- Jacob and Ben: Pickett makes a passing remark about a person named Jacob. In the December 6, 2006 Official LOST Audio Podcast, executive producer Carlton Cuse confirmed the name is a biblical reference. In the Bible, Jacob is the third Biblical patriarch. Jacob's second wife, Rachel, died as she gave birth to Jacob's twelfth son, Benjamin. Benjamin later founded the Tribe of Benjamin, one of the twelve Hebrew tribes. In the Book of Judges, Israel attacks and defeats the Tribe of Benjamin in the Battle of Gibeah, and all civilians are killed. However, so as not to exterminate a tribe of Israel, concessions are made to continue the bloodline by allowing the Benjamites to marry women taken as spoils of war. In addition, the tribe is allowed to raid a festival and carry off some of the women. Pickett's remark about Jacob is a reference to the biblical Jacob, and Jacob's son may be a reference to Ben. The subsequent story of the Tribe of Benjamin could also be a possible reference to the Others kidnapping survivors of the Oceanic crash.
- To Kill a Mockingbird: At the beginning of the episode, Kate wakes up to Sawyer hurling rocks at the polar bear reward machine. She says "hey" to him and he replies "hey yourself." This is the same lines spoken by Dill and Jem, respectively, in To Kill a Mockingbird. To Kill a Mockingbird was the movie Juliet was going to play for Jack in "The Cost of Living."
- Lift up your eyes and look north: Eko's message could be from or refer to the following Biblical sources:
- Genesis 13:14 - "And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward" -- Reference unclear, but Eko carved a reference to Genesis 13:14 into the stick immediately to the right of the message.
- Jeremiah 13:20 - "Lift up your eyes, and behold them that come from the north: where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" -- This can be construed as a possible reference to the Others, who came from the north, and the three people from Locke's group who were abducted.
- Ezekiel 8:5 - "Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry." -- a possible reference to the conflict among the Others?
- Sawyer tells Kate that they're on a small island, and there is no escape. Kate, afraid that Pickett will kill Sawyer, soon has sex with Sawyer.
- Jack takes Ben hostage in an attempt to ensure that Kate and Sawyer are set free.
- Jack: You took these blood tests, made all the notations? [Juliet nods] How old are the X-rays?
Juliet: A week.
Jack: The tumor on your spine is borderline inoperable. At the rate it's growing that borderline goes away in about... one week.
Jack: The O.R. we were in, is that fully equipped?
Jack: Anesthesia? Sterile?
Jack: You need to be in surgery yesterday.
Ben: Alright then. Whatever you need, it's yours. I'm ready.
Jack: No, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say I was going to do it. I just wanted you to understand how you're going to die. [chuckles] You think I believe you people? You think I trust you? That I'm gonna just do the surgery and HOPE that you'll let me go?!
Juliet: Jack! Please-
Jack: No! [throws paperwork at Juliet] DON'T!
Ben: Well, Jack... I'm very disappointed in your decision.
Jack: Well, Ben... At least you won't have to be disappointed for very long.
- Sawyer: The reason I ain't runnin, is because there's nowhere to run to. We ain't on our island, we're on another one, like Alcatraz, a couple miles off shore. So unless you're a mermaid or have a boat...
Kate: When were you going to tell me this?
Kate: Why not? Why wouldn't you tell me?!
Sawyer: Because I wanted you to believe we had a damn chance.
- Kate: Please, I'll do anything you want!
Pickett: [points his gun at Sawyer] I want you to watch!
Sawyer: Close your eyes, Freckles.
Kate: Stand up!
Sawyer: Close your eyes!
Kate: Don't you give up! [Pickett cocks his gun] NO! No! No!
Pickett: This is for Colleen, you son of a bitch.