Tom appeared to be a mid-level member of the Others. He acted as a sort of spokesman for the Others in their dealings with the Oceanic survivors on the island. He had been seen giving orders to some of his colleagues, but had also taken orders from Others below the level of Benjamin Linus. In keeping with the Others use of disguises while in proximity to the Oceanic survivors, Tom wore a false beard along with usual ragged clothing. After Kate Austen discovered a prop beard and theatrical glue inside The Staff, she told Tom she knew the beard was fake. He was rather pleased to stop having to wear the beard as he complained about its itchiness.
After Oceanic 815
After the abduction of Claire Littleton by Ethan Rom, Claire was brought to a DHARMA Initiative station called The Staff. Ethan was met there by Mister Friendly who expressed his displeasure at Ethan's failure to compile a list of the mid-section survivors. Memories of this conversation were recovered by Claire in season two's "Maternity Leave."
Mister Friendly was the "captain" of the small, run-down boat that found the raft in "Exodus, Part Two." It seems likely they were out on the water searching for the raft and were inadvertently helped by the firing of a signal flare from the raft. Mister Friendly insisted that they take Walt Lloyd. When the raft crew resisted, James "Sawyer" Ford was shot in the shoulder, Walt was taken, and a make-shift bomb was tossed onto the raft. Mister Friendly returned to the Others with Walt.
Michael Dawson took off with a rifle to find Walt, but Mister Friendly disarmed Michael in a trap and took him down with a bolas. When Jack Shephard, John Locke and Sawyer took off looking for Michael, they ended up walking straight into a trap organized by Mister Friendly. He wanted to have a talk with Jack about the way things worked on the island. He told Jack that that the island belonged to them and only them, and that the only reason the Oceanic survivors were still alive was because they have allowed it. He also told them that Michael would never find them. In reality, Michael was already his prisoner just a short distance away. He told them to drop their weapons and head back to where they came from. When Jack refused, Mister Friendly had Kate brought out. She had been captured earlier while following the hunting party. Mister Friendly threatened to kill her if everyone didn't drop their guns and turn around. The group grudgingly complied with Mister Friendly and left. He distributed the confiscated weapons amongst his group of Others, and the group took Michael back to their camp. He left Michael in the care of an Other who called herself Beatrice Klugh.
In "Dave," the captured Ben was interrogated by Ana Lucia Cortez and Sayid Jarrah. Ana Lucia asked if the man with the beard, referring to Mister Friendly, was the leader of the Others. Ben outright dismissed this notion, telling them that Mister Friendly is "no one. Nothing."
Mister Friendly was involved in the capture of Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hugo "Hurley" Reyes in "Live Together, Die Alone" and brought them to the Pala Ferry dock. It was there that Kate told him she knew his beard was fake, and so he removed it and thanked her as it was very itchy to wear. In the exchange, Miss Klugh accidentally told the survivors his real first name, Tom, and so he told them her first name in retaliation. When Ben arrived at the ferry dock, he wasn't happy to see that Tom wasn't wearing his fake beard, but let it go since they already knew it was fake.
Tom appeared to be actively involved in the captivity of Kate and Sawyer, making sure Kate was cleaned up and wearing fresh clothing before meeting with Ben, along with Danny Pickett. However, his role with the two seems to have diminished after he was sent with Colleen and a group of Others to capture Desmond Hume's sailboat, the Elizabeth. Unlike prior incursions amongst the Oceanic survivors, the group did not wear their tattered clothing, opting instead for black clothing, nor did Tom wear his fake beard. During the hijacking, Sun-Hwa Kwon fatally shot Colleen and Tom fired several rounds at Sun during her escape.
Tom appeared to possibly be Ben's right-hand man or at least in his camp as Juliet Burke claimed there was some division amongst the Others. During Jack's operation on Ben, Tom stayed in the observation gallery to watch the procedure whereas the other men left. When Jack threatened to let Ben die from an incision he made in Ben's kidney sack, Tom refused to allow that to happen and followed Jack's instructions to let Kate and Sawyer escape. He later assisted Jack in operating on Ben.
In "Through the Looking Glass", Tom was involved in the raid on the Oceanic survivor's beach camp with Ryan Pryce, Jason, Ivan, Diane and several others. Due to Juliet and Karl's intervention, the survivor's laid a trap for the Others by rigging dynamite near the tents the Others were to raid. The survivor's trap resulted in the deaths of seven Others, but Tom was one of the few to survive and captured Sayid, Jin-Soo Kwon and Bernard. Tom wished to shoot the three men in retaliation, but Ben ordered him to keep them alive. A rescue mission was mounted by several of the survivors and, after it succeeded, Tom was left the only Other alive who took part in the raid. Despite being unarmed, Sawyer shot and killed Tom for taking Walt off the raft.
- 1x25 - Exodus (3)
- 2x11 - The Hunting Party
- 2x15 - Maternity Leave
- 2x22 - Three Minutes
- 2x24 - Live Together, Die Alone (2)
- 3x01 - A Tale of Two Cities
- 3x02 - The Glass Ballerina
- 3x04 - Every Man for Himself
- 3x06 - I Do
- 3x07 - Not in Portland
- 3x09 - Stranger in a Strange Land
- 3x12 - Par Avion
- 3x13 - The Man from Tallahassee
- 3x19 - The Brig
- 3x20 - The Man Behind the Curtain
- 3x22 - Through the Looking Glass (1)
- 3x23 - Through the Looking Glass (2)
- 4x06 - The Other Woman
- 4x08 - Meet Kevin Johnson
- 1x25 - Exodus (3): First appearance.
- 2x11 - The Hunting Party: When chasing after Michael, Jack, Locke and Sawyer walk into Mister Friendly's trap.
- 2x15 - Maternity Leave: Appeared sans beard in Claire's flashbacks of her time spent in the "care" of the Others.
- 2x22 - Three Minutes: Captured Michael and brought him back to the Others' camp.
- 2x24 - Live Together, Die Alone (2): Oversaw the capture and transport of Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Hurley to the Pala Ferry dock.
- 3x23 - Through the Looking Glass (2): Shot and killed by Sawyer.
- Friendly Name: The name "Mr. Friendly" originates from the show's press releases as well as the show producers, but has never been mentioned onscreen. During Comi-Con 2009 the producers revealed Friendly to be Tom's proper last name.
- Much Ado About Zeke: Much fan speculation followed Sawyer's throwaway line to Mr. Friendly: "You and me ain't done, Zeke." The speculation primarily focused around the theory that Sawyer knew Mr. Friendly, hence calling him "Zeke" and that was his real name. However, Zeke is merely a nickname and follows Sawyer's modus operandi of giving people nicknames. Zeke is a character on the Muppet Show, and is the banjo player for Lubbock Lou and His Jughuggers. He has a shaggy beard, much like Mr. Friendly.
- 1x25 - Exodus (3): "The thing is... we're gonna have to take the boy."
- 2x11 - The Hunting Party: "Just sit down, Jack. Nobody gonna hurt you. I come in peace."
- 2x11 - The Hunting Party: "Let me ask you something. How long you been here on the island? [..] Oooh, fifty days. That's, what, almost two whole months? Tell me, you go over to a man's house for the first time... Do you take off your shoes? Do you put your feet up on his coffee table? You walk into the kitchen and eat food that doesn't belong to you? Open the door to rooms you got no business opening? You know somebody a whole lot smarter than anybody here once said: 'Since the dawn of our species, man's been blessed with curiosity.' You know the other one about curiosity, don't you, Jack? This is not your island. This is our island. And the only reason you're living on it is 'cause we let you live on it."
- 2x11 - The Hunting Party: "We got a misunderstanding, Jack. Your people, my people. So listen carefully. Right here there's a line. You cross that line, we go from misunderstanding to... something else. Now give me your weapons, turn around, go home."
- 2x22 - Three Minutes: "Hey there, Michael. [Michael spits in Mister Friendly's face] Not gonna hold that against you. Fair's fair. I took your boy. Hah hah. But don't do that again, okay?"