Lost/The Whole Truth
The Whole Truth is the sixteenth episode of the second season, and the forty-first episode overall.
Sun wrestles with the thought of telling Jin a newfound secret that threatens to upset the entire balance of the survivors' community. Meanwhile, Locke enlists Ana-Lucia to interrogate the prisoner in order to extract more information than he, Jack or Sayid could.
Starring: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Eko), Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Emilie de Ravin (Claire), Matthew Fox (Jack), Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Josh Holloway (Sawyer), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Evangeline Lilly (Kate), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie), Terry O'Quinn (John), Harold Perrineau, Jr. (Michael), Michelle Rodriguez (Ana-Lucia), Cynthia Watros (Libby).
- While working at her garden, Jin appears and demands Sun return with him to the beach camp because the Others attacked her at her garden. Sun refuses, telling Jin she doesn't need his protection, but Jin furiously rips apart the plants in her garden so she has no reason to be out there. Hurt by Jin's actions, Sun leaves her garden alone. On her way to the beach, however, she feels a bit light-headed. Approaching Sawyer to see if she can look through his stash for something, Sun finally works up the courage to ask him if he has a pregnancy test. Along the beach, Sun waits with Kate for the results of the pregnancy test - it's positive. The two show Jack the pregnancy test and he confirms the results. Sun asks Jack to not tell anyone including Jin, but Jack tells her she should tell the whole truth. Heading back to her garden, Sun finds Jin already there replanting what he tore apart. Jin tells her that he hates fighting with her, that he can't talk to anyone or understand anyone and needs her. As he tries to apologize, Sun tells him that she's pregnant. She also tells him what the doctor told her back in Korea, that the reason they couldn't have a baby was not because of Sun but because of Jin. She swears to Jin that she hasn't been with another man, and Jin tells her it must be a miracle and hugs her.
- At the beach camp, Locke has a talk with Ana-Lucia. He tells her that he and Jack have a man locked down inside the Swan for three days and he is possibly an Other. He asks her to talk to the man, since he wants Henry Gale out. Inside the Swan's armory, Henry Gale recounts his tale to Ana-Lucia and begins to question the pieces of his story. Eventually she makes Henry an offer: if he draws her a map to his balloon, then she'll find it and verify his story. Leaving the armory with Henry's map hidden on her, Ana-Lucia tells Jack and Locke that she's going to question Henry again tomorrow and leaves the station. Later in the day, Jack decides to let Henry out for some breakfast. As he sits down at the dining booth where Locke is already seated, he tells them they must be letting him out for drawing the map for Ana-Lucia. Realizing that Jack and Locke have no idea what he's talking about, Henry tells them it's a good thing he's not one of "them" — the Others — or the map would lead their friends into a trap so they could be traded in exchange for him.
- With the map to Henry's balloon, Ana-Lucia asks Sayid to help her find the balloon since she believes Sayid wants to know the truth, too. The two set off in search of Henry's balloon along with Charlie. As they trek through the jungle, Ana-Lucia spots a gun on Charlie and suggests that he give it to someone who knows how to use it. Charlie decides to hand it to Sayid, rather than give it to Ana-Lucia. The group makes camp and, the following day, make it to the clearing that Henry Gale marked as the location of his balloon. Finding nothing there, Sayid is ready to call it quits and head back, but Ana-Lucia tells him they need to look more thoroughly. Sayid divides the area into a grid and they begin searching.
- Flashback: Sun
In Korea, Jin is in bed with Sun. He tells her they’ve been trying for a year and thinks they should see a fertility doctor. Sun asks him why he cares so much about a baby when he’s never there because of work, but Jin tells her that if they had a baby then her father might change his mind and give him a safer job. Jin believes that a baby will change everything for the better.
At a hotel room, Sun enters, putting up a "Do Not Disturb" sign, and is greeted inside by Jae Lee. He asks her if Jin knows she's there, but Sun tells him that Jin doesn't know. Jae tells her he thought she was going to tell Jin and thinks Jin would be proud that she can speak English. In response, Sun asks him what she should tell Jin when he asks how she learned English and from whom. Jae asks her if she wants to stop with their arrangement, but Sun disagrees.
At a doctor's office, Jin and Sun are waiting for Dr. Je-Guy Kim to arrive with the results. He enters and tells them that Sun's ultrasound showed advanced endometriosis. Scar tissue is blocking the fallopian tubes and, even with surgery, the chances of conceiving are impossible. Turning to Sun, Jin asks her if she knew about this before they married as she "must have had some idea". Startled by his accusations, Sun asks him why she would keep something like that from him and then sarcastically tells him that she was trying to trap the son of a fisherman. Jin loses his temper at Sun and leaves the doctor’s office.
Meeting again with Jae Lee, Sun tells him that she and Jin went to a doctor and discovered she cannot have children. Jae tells her he's sorry, but Sun tells him she was glad at the news. Jae tells Sun that’s she been practically fluent in English for a month now and asks her why she's learning the language. Sun tells him it's because she's moving to America. Jae realizes she's going to leave Jin. He tells her that he ran away to America because he thought he was in love with a woman, but one cannot run away from his or her life. Asking Jae if Jin is her life and she should stay because of that, Jae tells her he's not saying she should stay for Jin.
Later, Sun is out walking her dog when Dr. Kim pulls up in a car. He tells Sun that it's not that she can't have children but rather it is her husband who cannot. He was worried that Jin would burn his practice to the ground since Jin works for Sun's father. Asking Dr. Kim why he's telling her this now, he replies that she deserved to know the truth.
- If Jin was infertile, then how is Sun pregnant?
- Is Henry Gale's balloon where he said it is? Or it is a trap?
The Cursed Numbers
- Sun is pregnant.
- Sayid is given a gun by Charlie
- Ana-Lucia, Charlie, and Sayid venture into the jungle in search of Henry Gale's supposed balloon.
- Kate: Admits she's taken a pregnancy test before, but doesn't say if it was positive or negative.
- Man of Science, Man of Faith: Locke tells Ana-Lucia that she runs "like the devil's chasing you". Desmond says the same thing to Jack when they meet in the stadium in Man of Science, Man of Faith.
- ...and Found: When Henry Gale tells Jack and Locke about a map he drew and realises they don't know about it, he says that they have "trust issues" inside a camp. These are the same words that Libby and Ana-Lucia used in ...and Found to describe connections inside their group. It was about an Other being a mole in group, who was finally tracked down and killed by Ana-Lucia.
- Goof: At one point the subtitles of the Korean dialogue say "You're" when they mean "Your".
- Missing in Action: Eko, Libby, and Claire do not appear in this episode.
Behind the Scenes
- Awards: For his role as Henry Gale in this episode, Michael Emerson was nominated for an IVy Award for the 2005-06 season for Best Guest Actor or Actress in a Drama Series.
- Location, Location, Location: The canal where Sun walks her dog was filmed along the Ala Wai Canal near the Kalakaua Avenue Bridge in Honolulu.
Allusions and References
- Are You There, God? It's Me, Sawyer: Sawyer reads the Judy Blume pre-teen book, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. The novel explores Margaret's search for religion while she also confronts other pre-teen issues, such as buying her first bra, having her first period, and liking boys.