Danielle Rousseau is the only survivor of a science team in the south Pacific that shipwrecked on the mysterious island in Lost. She is played primarily by Mira Furlan and appeared in twenty-four episodes.
Before Oceanic 815
Danielle Rousseau is a French woman who was seven months pregnant when in 1988, three days out of Tahiti, her vessel picked up a transmission of the numbers and changed course to investigate. She was one of six members of a science team including her husband, Robert. Their instruments malfunctioned and, at night during a storm, the ship slammed into rocks and ran aground, the hull breached beyond repair.
Her science team made camp, digging out a temporary shelter, and they survived on the island for nearly two months. During those two months the team continued to search for the transmission source and, weeks later, they discovered a radio tower near the Black Rock. Some members of the team continued to search for the meaning of the numbers while they waited for rescue, but then the "sickness" came as they were coming back from the Black Rock. Rousseau claims the Others were the carriers despite having never seen them, only hearing them whisper in the jungle. The sickness took them, one after the other, and Rousseau was forced to kill them, including her husband. She believed they were already lost and worried about the sickness spreading should they be rescued. With her team gone, Rousseau went back to the radio tower and changed the numbers transmission to her distress signal, but claims the Others are now in control of the tower.
Alone on the island, Rousseau delivered her baby girl herself. She named the girl Alexandra or Alex, for short. She was with her daughter for only one week when she saw a pillar of black smoke rising from about five kilometers inland. That night the Others came and kidnapped her daughter.
Rousseau spent over sixteen years on the island by herself before Oceanic flight 815 crashed. She spent some of that time mapping the island as best she could, and setting traps to either capture an Other or possibly her daughter.
One of Rousseau's traps caught Sayid Jarrah. She brought Sayid back to her shelter and, believing him to be an Other and possessing knowledge of her daughter's whereabouts, interrogated him. Eventually she came to realize he was a survivor of a plane crash, but refused to let him leave. She revealed to him some information about how she came to the island and what little she knew about the Others. Sayid managed to escape, only to be held at gunpoint by Rousseau in the jungle. She agreed with him that he wasn't sick, but didn't want to free him as she wanted someone to talk to, someone to touch. Refusing to come back to the Oceanic survivor's camp, Rousseau allowed Sayid leave, but not before warning him to watch his friends closely.
After Claire Littleton was kidnapped by Ethan Rom, she escaped from the Staff with the help of Alex and was left a short distance from the DHARMA Initiative station. Rousseau found Claire in the jungle, in a delirious state and calling for Ethan, and had her arm scratched by Claire. She was forced to knock her out to prevent the Others from finding them, and carried Claire to a location near the survivor's cave shelter and where she knew Claire would be found.
With Sayid in need of a battery for the raft, Hurley set out after Rousseau to see if he could get a battery from her. He stumbled into one of Rousseau's booby-traps, but managed to avoid the deadly device it sprung. Jack Shephard and Sayid eventually found Rousseau's shelter, but it was booby-trapped to explode and, after the dust settled, they discovered it had been emptied beforehand. She knew Sayid would return to her shelter and rigged it to explode. Hurley eventually ran into Rousseau and she gave some more information to him about what happened to her and the numbers, and then gave him one of her batteries.
Rousseau later came to the survivor's beach camp to warn them that the Others were coming. She told them the story of the black smoke and her daughter's kidnapping. Shortly thereafter, the survivors noticed a pillar of black smoke. Jack took her to see the hatch that Locke discovered, but she hadn't seen anything like it before. She led an expedition to the Black Rock in the Dark Territory so that the survivors could get dynamite to blow open the hatch. On the journey there, the monster appeared but Rousseau simply referred to it as a security system that protects the island. Upon reaching the Black Rock, Rousseau promptly left. Returning to the beach camp, Rousseau went to see Claire's son and Claire noticed the scratches on Rousseau's arm. Remembering that she was the one who caused the scratches, Claire was knocked unconscious and Rousseau kidnapped Claire's son in the hope of trading him for Alex. When she arrived at the beach where the black smoke originated, she discovered it completely empty. Confused, she gave the baby back to Sayid and Charlie Pace, telling them that she heard the Others whispering about coming for the boy. Unbeknownst to her, the Others were in fact coming for a boy - Walt Lloyd. Sayid and Charlie left her there, broken and crying.
Rousseau was spotted in the jungle by Ana-Lucia Cortez, who went and found Sayid. Sayid recognized her and confronted her on his own. Rousseau asked Sayid to come with her so she could show him something important. When he was reluctant to trust her, she gave him her rifle. Rousseau had captured someone in a net. It was Benjamin Linus, leader of the Others, but he claimed to be Henry Gale from Minnesota. Danielle did not believe his story and was adament that he was an Other. Sayid cut him out of the tree, despite Rousseau's protests, and he tried to escape, but Rousseau shot him in the shoulder with a hidden crossbow. She warned Sayid not to believe any of his lies, and told him to take the prisoner to their doctor. She disappeared back into the jungle, taking her rifle with her.
When Claire's baby was feverish and crying, Rousseau showed up on the beach. She was afraid that Aaron had contracted the "sickness" that came over her science team. Kate Austen shooed her away, but the next day Kate and Claire sought her out, hoping to find the place Claire was kept by the Others. Rousseau found them in the jungle and, after Claire mentioned seeing a teenage girl in the place she was kept, Rousseau lead them to the place where Claire scratched her, and from there Claire was able to find her way to the Staff. Rousseau was looking for her daughter Alexandra, but the station was abandoned. Claire remembered that Rousseau saved her, and told her that the young girl, with dark hair and blue eyes also helped save her, and wasn't like the rest of the Others. Rousseau was comforted by this, and slipped back into the jungle again.
Kate escaped from the Hydra and the Others, but without Jack. Upon making it back to the beach camp, she sought out Rousseau and her considerable knowledge of the island. Curious as to why she should help Kate, Rousseau learned that Kate was helped by a sixteen year-old girl named Alex, and Kate believes the girl is Rousseau's daughter. Rousseau agreed to accompany Kate, Sayid and Locke across the island. Two day's into their journey, Sayid stumbled upon the Flame, a communications station built by the DHARMA Initiative, and its occupant. Not wishing to get involved in something that didn't concern her, Rousseau left and returned later that night after Sayid captured the occupant, an Other named Mikhail Bakunin. Rousseau believed the man should be killed, as he served no purpose to them alive, but Sayid disagreed.
A day later, the group reached the Others' sonic security fence. After Mikhail was seemingly killed when Locke pushed him through the pylons of the fence, they realized they could not pass through. Kate got an idea and Danielle assisted in using chopped down trees to build a "bridge" over the pylons. After getting over, they eventually arrived at the barracks, where the Others where living. They saw Jack tossing a football with one of the Others, and while Kate was anxious to get to Jack, Danielle silently separated from the group and disappeared, obviously looking for Alex. That night, Alex took Locke to a dock where the Others' submarine was kept. As Alex and Locke were talking, Danielle watched from the bushes, crying. This was the first time she had seen her daughter in sixteen years. Danielle did not approach Alex, as she had no idea what to say to her daughter, who didn't even have any idea of Danielle's existence.
A few days later, while Locke had his father, Anthony Cooper and Sawyer locked up in the brig of the Black Rock, Danielle showed up. She greeted Locke and took a crate of dynamite, but did not explain what she needed it for. A few days later, Jack revealed to the rest of the survivors that he had asked Danielle to collect dynamite from the Black Rock. It turned out that Juliet Burke had confessed to Jack that Ben had sent her to the survivors' camp to find out which of the women were pregnant. Ben was planning to send a group of Others to attack the camp and take all the women in two days' time. Jack had devised a plan to collect as much dynamite as possible and, with Danielle's help, plant traps for the Others'. The Others expected that Juliet would mark the tents of the women with white coral, but instead of women inside, the tents would be rigged with dynamite. While three men stayed behind to trigger the trap, Danielle would help lead the Oceanic survivors to the radio transmitter she used to broadcast her distress signal sixteen years ago. Her message needed to be switched off, in addition to jamming equipment inside The Looking Glass, in order for newcomer Naomi Dorrit's satellite phone to function.
As preparations were being made for the trap and the Oceanic survivors to trek, Karl arrived by outrigger canoe and warned them all that the Others had pushed up their plan by a day and were arriving that night. Danielle and the survivors set off immediately for the radio transmitter, but the following day they were intercepted by Ben and Alex. Ben was taken captive and revealed to Alex that Danielle was her mother. The survivors pushed on and reached the radio transmitter. Inside, Danielle turned off her distress signal as she no longer needed it and no longer wanted to leave the island. The island was her home now.
As the Oceanic survivors waited for rescue from Naomi Dorrit's off-shore freighter, Benjamin Linus tried to persuade Rousseau into taking Alex as far away as possible as he believed everyone who stayed would die. She didn't take kindly to Ben referring to Alex as his daughter and refused to listen to him. After it was discovered Naomi had not been killed by John Locke and had crawled away into the jungle, Rousseau followed her blood trail with Jack Shephard and Ben in tow while the other survivors headed back to the beach camp to wait for the rescue helicopter. But the blood trail was discovered to be a dummy trail. The trio eventually rejoined the other survivors at the nose section wreckage of Oceanic Flight 815, where news of Charlie Pace's death and warning were revealed. The survivors split into two groups: those who heeded Charlie's warning sided with Locke while those who still believed in rescue sided with Jack. Rousseau sided with Locke, along with her daughter. Ben and Karl accompanied them.
Locke led the group to the barracks. They eventually learned the freighter belonged to Charles Widmore, a dangerous man who wanted to exploit the island. The men on the freighter had orders to capture Ben and kill everyone else on the island. Ben successfully persuaded Alex to leave the barracks for the safety of the Temple, a DHARMA Initiative station the rest of the Others had already taken refuge at. Rousseau accompanied Alex and Karl to the Temple, but the trio were ambushed shortly after leaving the sonar fence surrounding the barracks. Rousseau and Karl were shot and killed by the mercenaries led by Martin Keamy, and their bodies were buried. Keamy's mercenaries went on to attack the barracks and the survivors fled. Rousseau's buried body was discovered by Miles Straume as he passed by with Sawyer and Claire.
Danielle has appeared in twenty-threeepisodes of Lost:
- 1x02 - Pilot (2) (voice only, played by an unknown extra)
- 1x09 - Solitary
- 1x18 - Numbers
- 1x23 - Exodus (1)
- 1x24 - Exodus (2)
- 1x25 - Exodus (3)
- 2x14 - One of Them
- 2x15 - Maternity Leave
- 3x10 - Tricia Tanaka Is Dead
- 3x11 - Enter 77
- 3x12 - Par Avion
- 3x13 - The Man from Tallahassee
- 3x19 - The Brig
- 3x21 - Greatest Hits
- 3x22 - Through the Looking Glass (1)
- 3x23 - Through the Looking Glass (2)
- 4x01 - The Beginning of the End
- 4x02 - Confirmed Dead
- 4x03 - The Economist
- 4x08 - Meet Kevin Johnson
- 5x04 - The Little Prince (only as a younger woman, played Melissa Farman)
- 5x05 - This Place Is Death (only as a younger woman, played Melissa Farman)
- 5x12 - Dead Is Dead (only as a younger woman, played Melissa Farman)
- 6x16 - What They Died For
- Information is shown in chronological order. Episodes in bold are flashback episodes.
On the Island
- 1x09 - Solitary: While exploring the island, Sayid is captured by Rousseau.
- 2x15 - Maternity Leave: Danielle carries Claire away from the Others.
- 1x18 - Numbers: Abandons and destroys her shelter. Gives Hurley a battery for Michael's raft.
- 1x23 - Exodus (1): Danielle makes her way to the beach camp and warns the survivors that the Others are coming.
- 1x24 - Exodus (2): Danielle steals Claire's baby, hoping to trade him to the Others for her daughter Alex.
- 2x14 - One of Them: Danielle captures a mysterious stranger in the jungle.
- 2x15 - Maternity Leave: Danielle accompanies Kate and Claire into the Staff in hopes of finding Alex.
- 3x10 - Tricia Tanaka Is Dead: Kate finds Danielle in the jungle and tells her that Alex is alive and living with the Others.
- 3x11 - Enter 77: Danielle accompanies Kate, Locke and Sayid on their trek through the jungle to find Jack. She is with them when they discover the Flame station.
- 3x12 - Par Avion: Danielle, Kate, Locke and Sayid make it to the Barracks - where the Others are living.
- 3x13 - The Man from Tallahassee: Danielle sees her daughter for the first time in 16 years, but does not approach her.
- 3x19 - The Brig: Danielle goes to the Black Rock to fetch some dynamite.
- 3x22 - Through the Looking Glass: Decides she no longer wants to leave the island, meets her daughter and turns off her distress signal.
- 4x08 - Meet Kevin Johnson: Is shot and killed by Widmore's mercenaries.
- Famous Names: Rousseau is named after a French philosopher, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, who saw a fundamental divide between man and nature, and believed that society can be a negative influence on virtuous people.
- 1x09 - Solitary: "Our vessel was three days out of Tahiti when our instruments malfunctioned. It was night. The storm... The sounds... The ship slammed into rocks, ran aground, the hull breached beyond repair. So... we made camp. Dug out this temporary shelter. Temporary. Nearly two months we survived here. Two months before..."
- 1x09 - Solitary: "But I heard them. Out there in the jungle. They whisper."
- 1x09 - Solitary: "There's no such thing as monsters."
- 1x18 - Numbers: "The numbers are what brought me here. As it appears they've brought you. Since that time, I've lost everything, everyone I cared about. So, yes... I suppose you're right. They are cursed."
- 1x23 - Exodus, Part 1: "You have only three choices. Run. Hide. Or die."
- 1x23 - Exodus, Part 1: "The Black Rock is not far. This is where it all began, when my team got infected, when Montand lost his arm. We must move quickly."
- 1x23 - Exodus, Part 1: "It's a security system. [...] Its purpose is that of any security system's: To protect something. [...] The island."
- 1x24 - Exodus, Part 2: "I heard them say they were coming for the child. The others said they were coming for the boy."