Before Oceanic 815The Others. He frequently quarreled with Richard over his leadership decisions.
In the 1990s and 2000s Charles Widmore is an industrialist and philanthropist. He owns and operates The Widmore Corporation in London, England. He has a daughter, Penelope, who had a two year relationship with Desmond. Upon meeting Desmond, Widmore offered him an entry-level position in the administrative department, but soon learned that he was there not for a job but for permission to marry Penelope. Widmore told Desmond that he would never become a great man and that he wasn't worthy of drinking his whiskey, let alone to marry his daughter. He believed Desmond to be a coward and was proven correct when Desmond ended his relationship with Penelope, running away to join the Royal Scots.
Widmore won at auction the ship's ledger from the Black Rock, a vessel which disappeared in the late 19th century. The ledger was put up for auction by Tovard Hanso, a distant relative of Alvar Hanso, founder of The Hanso Foundation. After winning the auction, Widmore was approached by Desmond for Penelope's current address. As he knew his daughter hated Desmond for breaking off their relationship, Widmore was more than willing to give Desmond what he wanted. Later, Desmond was court-martialed and incarcerated in a military prison. Widmore intercepted letters Desmond wrote to Penelope during his incarceration. Upon Desmond's release, Widmore gave him a box of his letters to Penelope and told him she had moved on and is going to marry another man. He gave him money to start a new life away from his daughter and told Desmond to run away because he's a coward.
After Oceanic 815
Widmore was videotaped by one of Benjamin Linus's operatives on the mainland. Another of Ben's operatives had been caught by Widmore and interrogated.
- 2x23 - Live Together, Die Alone (1)
- 3x08 - Flashes Before Your Eyes
- 4x05 - The Constant
- 4x06 - The Other Woman
- 4x09 - The Shape of Things to Come
- 4x14 - There's No Place Like Home (3)
- 5x01 - Because You Left
- 5x02 - The Lie (only as a teenager, played by Tom Connolly)
- 5x03 - Jughead (also as a teenager, played by Tom Connolly)
- 5x07 - The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham
- 5x12 - Dead Is Dead (also as a middle aged man, played by David S. Lee)
- 5x14 - The Variable
- 5x15 - Follow the Leader (only as a middle aged man, played by David S. Lee)
- 6x07 - Dr. Linus
- 6x08 - Recon
- 6x10 - The Package
- 6x11 - Happily Ever After
- 6x14 - The Candidate
- 6x16 - What They Died For
- 2x23 - Live Together, Die Alone: Meets Desmond after Desmond gets out of military prison and pays him to stay away from Penelope.
- 3x08 - Flashes Before Your Eyes: Refuses to let Desmond marry his daughter.
- Kahana, the name of the freighter he hires, is a Maori name, from the native people of New Zealand, where actors Alan Dale (Charles Widmore), Grant Bowler (Captain Gault), and Zoë Bell (Regina) are from. New Zealand is a small country of just over 4,000,000 people, across the Tasman Sea, to the east of, Sydney, Australia, where Oceanic Flight 815 departed from.
- 3x08 - Flashes Before Your Eyes: This is a 60-year MacCutcheon. Named after Anderson MacCutcheon, esteemed admiral from the Royal Navy. He retired with more medals than any man before or since. Moved to the Highlands to see out his remaining years. Admiral MacCutcheon was a great man, Hume. This was his crowning achievement. [pours a glass for himself] This swallow is worth more than you can make in a month. [drinks it] To share it with you would be a waste and a disgrace to the great man who made it. Because you, Hume, will never be a great man. What you're not is worthy of drinking my whiskey. How could you ever be worthy of my daughter?