Charlotte Staples Lewis is part of the group of people on the freighter looking for the island. She is played primarily by Rebecca Mader and appeared in twenty episodes.
Before Oceanic 815DHARMA Initiative. Charlotte is the eldest of three daughters. When Charlotte was four years old, a man named Daniel Faraday came up to her and warned her to leave the island and never return. A few hours later, many of the DHARMA staff members were evacuated from the island, and Charlotte and her mother were among that group. Jeanette took Charlotte to England and raised her in Bromsgrove, a town in Worcestershire. As Charlotte grew up, she had memories of the island and the DHARMA Initiative, but her mother always convinced her that it was just her imagination. After school, Charlotte studied as an undergraduate at the University of Kent. She later attended the University of Oxford and received her Ph.D. in Cultural Anthropology.
After Oceanic 815
Charlotte was in Medenine, Tunisia while news of the discovery of the wreckage of Oceanic Flight 815 swept the world. She bribed her way onto an excavation site that was trying to hide the fact they discovered the skeletal remains of a polar bear. Further excavating around the skull of the bear, Charlotte uncovered a collar bearing the symbol of The Hydra, a DHARMA Initiative station. She was later recruited as a member of an expedition to the island, an expedition organized by the mysterious Matthew Abaddon.
Frank Lapidus fought to control the helicopter over the island when it experienced electrical problems during a thunderstorm. Charlotte was forced to bail out and was discovered by John Locke and his group of Oceanic survivors. She informed them of her GPS transponder and how the freighter should be able to track them, but was then informed they didn't want to be found. Her transponder was tied to Vincent, who was found by Jack Shephard's group who realized Charlotte was being held by Locke. After seeing a signal flare from one of her team members, Charlotte attempted to leave the group and was shot twice by Benjamin Linus. Luckily she was wearing a bullet-proof vest and wasn't injured. Incensed by Ben's actions, Locke resolved himself to kill Ben until Ben revealed he had detailed knowledge of Charlotte and the rest of her team. She was eventually taken to the barracks by Locke's group. There they ambushed Sayid Jarrah who, with Kate Austen and Miles Straume, intended to bring her back safely to Frank. Sayid exchanged Charlotte for Miles and took her back to the helicopter. Frank offered her a ride back to the freighter, but Charlotte decided to stay on the island as she had work to do. Desmond Hume and Sayid got on the helicopter with Frank and Naomi's body and left the island.
Charlotte, along with Daniel, went with Jack and Juliet Burke back to their beach camp. After Jack had failed to reach the freighter via the satellite phone for an entire day, he and Juliet asked for Charlotte and Daniel's help. Charlotte informed them that there was another number which they were only to use in case of emergency. Juliet informed her that this was an emergency, since they had no idea whether Sayid, Desmond and Frank were still alive. Charlotte called the number and spoke to Regina on the freighter, who claimed that she hadn't seen the helicopter since it left for the island.
- 4x02 - Confirmed Dead
- 4x03 - The Economist
- 4x04 - Eggtown
- 4x05 - The Constant
- 4x06 - The Other Woman
- 4x07 - Ji Yeon
- 4x09 - The Shape of Things to Come
- 4x10 - Something Nice Back Home
- 4x12 - There's No Place Like Home (1)
- 4x13 - There's No Place Like Home (2)
- 5x01 - Because You Left
- 5x02 - The Lie
- 5x03 - Jughead
- 5x04 - The Little Prince
- 5x05 - This Place Is Death
- 5x08 - LaFleur (only as a child, played by an unknown extra)
- 5x14 - The Variable (only as a child, played by Maya Henssens)
- 5x15 - Follow the Leader (only as a child, played by Maya Henssens)
- 6x08 - Recon
- 6x17 - The End (1)
- Information is shown in chronological order.
- 4x02 - Confirmed Dead: Is found and captured by Locke's group of survivors.
- 4x03 - The Economist: Is released in exchange for Miles.
- 4x04 - Eggtown: Returns to the beach camp with Jack, Juliet and Daniel. Finds out from Regina that the helicopter hasn't returned to the freighter.
- Last Name: Charlotte's last name was revealed as a clue in the Find 815 ARG leading up to the premiere of "The Beginning of the End".
- Lewis: Charlotte Staples Lewis is a reference to C. S. Lewis, an Irish writer and scholar. He is best known for his series The Chronicles of Narnia.