Daniel Faraday is part of the group of people on the freighter looking for the island. He is played by Jeremy Davies and appeared in twenty-three episodes.
Before Oceanic 815Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore, but Daniel never knew his father. As a boy, Daniel enjoyed playing the piano, but also had an incredible mind. From an early age, his mother encouraged him to pay more attention to physics and academics and less time with the piano.
After Oceanic 815
Daniel became a physicist and lived in Essex, Massachusetts. He saw a news report regarding the discovery of the wreckage of Oceanic 815 at the bottom of the Sunda Trench which inexplicably affected him emotionally. Daniel was eventually recruited as a member of an expedition organized by Matthew Abaddon.
Daniel Faraday parachuted onto the island from a helicopter experiencing problems with its navigational systems. He was immediately met by Jack Shephard and Kate Austen. The storm which forced him to parachute from the helicopter led to his team of four being split up. He asked for Jack and Kate's help in tracking them through Naomi Dorrit's satellite phone which can display the GPS transponders they were wearing. The trio came across a case from the helicopter containing gas masks and biohazard-marked bags. Daniel couldn't explain why they were on the helicopter as he claimed he wasn't responsible for packing. Asked why he was carrying a gun, Daniel explained that rescuing them wasn't their primary objective. They eventually hooked up with two other team members, Miles Straume and Frank Lapidus, and discovered the helicopter landed intact.
While his other team members concerned themselves with getting Charlotte Lewis, Daniel busied himself with a science experiment. Setting up a beacon near the helicopter, Daniel contacted Regina on the freighter and had her send a payload to the beacon. Regina counted off the distance to target, but the payload didn't arrive on the island as expected. Sometime later the payload, a rocket, arrived and slammed into the ground. Daniel retrieved a clock from inside it and compared it to his own; it was ahead by 31 minutes and 18 seconds. This revelation worried Daniel. As Frank prepared to depart for the freighter, Daniel warned him to stay on the exact heading as when they came in, no matter what.
- 4x01 - The Beginning of the End
- 4x02 - Confirmed Dead
- 4x03 - The Economist
- 4x04 - Eggtown
- 4x05 - The Constant
- 4x06 - The Other Woman
- 4x07 - Ji Yeon
- 4x09 - The Shape of Things to Come
- 4x10 - Something Nice Back Home
- 4x12 - There's No Place Like Home (1)
- 4x13 - There's No Place Like Home (2)
- 4x14 - There's No Place Like Home (3)
- 5x01 - Because You Left
- 5x02 - The Lie
- 5x03 - Jughead
- 5x04 - The Little Prince
- 5x05 - This Place Is Death
- 5x08 - LaFleur
- 5x13 - Some Like It Hoth
- 5x14 - The Variable
- 5x15 - Follow the Leader
- 6x11 - Happily Ever After
- 6x17 - The End (1)
- Information is shown in chronological order.
- 4x01 - The Beginning of the End: Parachuted onto the island.
- 4x02 - Confirmed Dead: Leads Jack and Kate to two of his team members - Miles and Frank.
- 4x03 - The Economist: Performs an experiment revealing a time difference between on the island and the outside world.
- 4x04 - Eggtown: Returns to the beach with Jack, Juliet and Charlotte.
- Faraday: Daniel Faraday is a possible reference to Michael Faraday, an English chemist and physicist (or natural philosopher, in the terminology of that time) who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry. Through his research on electromagnetism, Faraday established that magnetism could affect rays of light and that there was an underlying relationship between the two phenomena. In "Confirmed Dead", Daniel Faraday commented on how light appeared to scatter differently on the island.