Corus Entertainment is a publicly traded Canadian media and entertainment conglomerate. Corus is a Canadian leading specialty television and radio producer, with additional assets in pay television, advertisement, TV broadcasting, publication in children's books, and children's animation.
The relationship with Shaw Communications
Corus Entertainment was formed from media assets originally owned by Shaw Communications. Both companies continue to be operated by the Shaw family. As a result, media reports have sometimes erroneously referred to Corus as a subsidiary of Shaw. In fact, Shaw and Corus are independent, publicly traded companies, with separate management teams and separate boards of directors.
On January 13, 2016, Corus announced that it planned to purchase Shaw Media, which consisted of the broadcast assets of the now-defunct Canwest (including the Global Television Network and its specialty channels), from Shaw Communications. The Shaw Media acquisition required regulatory approval from the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission as well as approval by Corus minority shareholders. The sale was closed on April 1, 2016 as Global TV and its owned-and-operated stations were acquired by Corus.
- CFRE-DT - Regina, Saskatchewan
- CFSK-DT - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- CHAN-DT - Vancouver, British Columbia
- CHBC-DT - Kelowna, British Columbia
- CHEX-DT - Peterborough, Ontario
- CHEX-DT-2 - Oshawa, Ontario
- CHNB-DT - Saint John, New Brunswick
- CICT-DT - Calgary, Alberta
- CIHF-DT - Halifax, Nova Scotia
- CIII-DT - Toronto, Ontario
- CISA-DT - Lethbridge, Alberta
- CITV-DT - Edmonton, Alberta
- CKMI-DT - Montréal, Québec
- CKND-DT - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- CKWS-DT - Kingston, Ontario
- ABC Spark - under license from The Walt Disney Company
- Adult Swim - under license from WarnerMedia
- BBC Canada - 80% ownership; under license from BBC Studios
- Cartoon Network - under license from WarnerMedia
- CMT Canada - 90% ownership; under license from ViacomCBS
- Cooking Channel - 80.2% ownership; under license from Discovery Inc.
- Crime & Investigation - under license from A&E Networks
- Disney Channel - under license from The Walt Disney Company
- Disney Junior - under license from The Walt Disney Company
- Disney XD - under license from The Walt Disney Company
- DIY Network - 80.24% ownership; under license from Discovery Inc.
- Food Network - 80.15% ownership; under license from Discovery Inc.
- Global News: BC 1
- HGTV - 80.24% ownership; under license from Discovery Inc.
- Historia - under license from A&E Networks
- History - under license from A&E Networks
- History2 - under license from A&E Networks
- La Chaîne Disney - under license from The Walt Disney Company
- Lifetime - under license from A&E Networks
- Nickelodeon - under license from ViacomCBS
- Nat Geo Wild - under license from The Walt Disney Company
- National Geographic - 64% ownership; under license from The Walt Disney Company
- OWN - under license from Discovery Inc. and Harpo Productions
- Showcase Television
- Treehouse TV
- W Network
- St. Thomas
- B5media, minority stake in online publisher
- Corus Média, broadcasting division operating French-language channels
- Nelvana, production and distribution company
- Kids Can Press, children's book publishing
- Toon Boom Animation, animation software company
- Corus prepares for shifting TV market with Shaw deal at the Globe and Mail
- Corus Entertainment Completes Acquisition of Shaw Media
- Official website for Corus Entertainment