Collision is the eighth episode of the second season, and the thirty-third episode overall.
Tempers flare when Ana-Lucia and her group stumble upon Sayid and the other castaways.
Starring: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Eko), Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Emilie de Ravin (Claire), Matthew Fox (Jack), Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Josh Holloway (Sawyer), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Evangeline Lilly (Kate), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie), Terry O'Quinn (John), Harold Perrineau, Jr. (Michael), Michelle Rodriguez (Ana-Lucia), Cynthia Watros (Libby).
- Sayid gently places Shannon's body on the ground, pulls his gun on Ana-Lucia and walks towards her. Eko tackles Sayid and the two fight. Ana-Lucia knocks out Sayid with her empty gun, picks up the gun that Sayid dropped and points it at everyone else, yelling at them to not move. She tells Eko to tie up Sayid, but Eko refuses. Pointing the gun at Libby, she tells her to tie up Sayid using the vines from Sawyer's stretcher. With Sayid tied up and thus the stretcher gone, Eko picks up Sawyer and tells Ana-Lucia he's talking him back to his camp. Libby tries to convince Ana-Lucia to let Sayid go, but she refuses and claims he'll come after her because she killed someone he loves. She asks Ana-Lucia what her plan is, but Sayid tells them she has no plan, only her guilt and the gun. Ana-Lucia tells Michael to go back to his camp and bring her half of their ammo, a pack with a blanket, medicine, clothes, and to bring it all back to her and then she'll let his friend go. After Michael leaves, Bernard picks up his things and tells Ana-Lucia that he's leaving. Libby tells her she's not the best judge of character and was with her when she put Nathan in the pit. Ana-Lucia tells them to leave and tells Jin to go with them, leaving Ana-Lucia alone with Sayid. The two talk and Sayid tells her that he's tortured many men - men whose voices he still hears at night, and maybe she was meant to kill him. Ana-Lucia tells Sayid that she was a cop and one night she and her partner responded to a burglary call. Some kid came out the front door and told her he wanted to show his I.D. and she let him - he shot her - and they never found him. She tells him that she feels dead. Untying Sayid, Ana-Lucia drops her weapons and tells him to kill her. But Sayid tells her it would be no good as they're both already dead. He picks up Shannon's body and carries her back.
- At the beach camp, Jack is talking with Rose when a golf ball lands in the water trough he's using. Investigating the source, Jack finds Kate, Hurley and Charlie taking bets on how far they can hit golf balls. Jack tries to give Kate a tip about her swing, but she challenges him to a three hole game, no handicaps, and see who is more accurate for bragging rights. The two tee up at Hurley's golf course; Kate manages to land her shot near the hole, but Jack puts it out in the trees. Refusing to take a drop, Jack and Kate head into the woods and Jack finds his ball. As Jack prepares his shot, Eko appears out of the woods with Sawyer across his shoulders and asks where the doctor is. They bring Sawyer to the Swan and Jack puts him in the shower to bring his fever down. Eko looks at the Swan's armory when Locke appears and asks him what happened. He asks Eko to take him where the others are, but Eko takes another look at the guns and refuses. After being let go by Ana-Lucia, Michael treks through the jungle and arrives at Sun's garden. He tells her that Jin is okay and he'll explain later, but he needs to find Jack immediately. She takes him to the Swan, where Jack is trying to question Eko about where his friends are. Asking if he can remember how to get back there, Jack grabs a weapon and hands another one to Michael, but Eko stops them. He tells them that Ana-Lucia made a mistake and he will take Jack, only Jack, to her with no guns.
- At the beach, Michael and Vincent reunite. Bernard, Libby, and Jin appear from the jungle and are greeted by Charlie and the other castaways. Bernard and Rose reunite, as do Jin and Sun. Out in the jungle, Jack and Eko find Sayid carrying Shannon's body. Jack and Ana-Lucia look at each other.
- Flashback: Ana-Lucia
Ana-Lucia meets with Matthew Reed, her therapist. He asks about her boyfriend Danny, but she tells him that Danny left. He asks her how her time went at the firing range and how it felt to hold a gun again, and Ana-Lucia tells him it felt very good. Matthew explains to Ana-Lucia that she's come a long way since they first met four months ago and the final determination to let her come back to work is up to him. He hands her an L.A.P.D. badge and welcomes her back to the force.
Ana-Lucia arrives at her police station in uniform and talks to her captain. She puts Ana-Lucia behind a desk because she was involved in an officer-involved shooting, but Ana-Lucia balks at this and demands patrol. Ana-Lucia asks her if it's because she's her captain or because she's her mother. She asks her mother to be put back on the street or else transfer her. Captain Teresa Cortez gives her daughter the car.
On patrol with Big Mike, Ana-Lucia notices they're in a different area. Big Mike tells her the captain told him to patrol a nice, safe neighborhood with Ana-Lucia. A domestic disturbance call comes up on the police radio and Ana-Lucia responds. The two arrive at the scene of the domestic disturbance where a woman holding a crying baby is arguing with a man moving things. The woman, Shawna, tells them that he's stealing her TV, while the man, Travis, tells them she hit him. Big Mike tries to calm them down, but Ana-Lucia pulls her sidearm, points it at Travis, and tells him to get down on the ground. Big Mike yells at Ana-Lucia to holster her weapon.
The two arrive back at their police station, and Big Mike just wants to go home and not deal anymore with Ana-Lucia overreacting. Detective Raggs comes up to Ana-Lucia and tells they got her guy. Teresa Cortez tells Ana-Lucia his name is Jason McCormack and they picked him up on assault. His fingerprints matched a partial from her crime scene, they questioned him and he confessed. The D.A. is ready to file charges once Ana-Lucia identifies him. Ana-Lucia tells her that the man is not him. Teresa Cortez asks for the room to be cleared and tells Ana-Lucia that he put four bullets in her, that he tried to kill her, and now she wants to put him back out on the street. Ana-Lucia tells her it's not him and walks out.
A week later at a bar, Ana-Lucia follows Jason outside to the parking lot. She gets his attention and he asks her if he knows her. Ana-Lucia pulls a gun on him and tells him she was pregnant before shooting him three times. She then walks over to his body and shoots him three more times.
The Cursed Numbers
- Ana-Lucia met with her therapist for 4 months before being re-instated to the force.
- Ana-Lucia was shot 4 times with hollow-point rounds.
- When Sawyer is brought to the Swan, Locke is working on 42 Down on his crossword puzzle.
- The ABC press release credits François Chau as Marvin Candle, but he does not appear in this episode.
- The tail section and raft survivors make it back to the mid section camp.
- Bernard and Rose reunite.
- Jin and Sun reunite.
1x24 - Exodus, Part Two: Eko mentions Ana-Lucia's name to Jack and he remembers meeting her at the Sydney airport.
Behind the Scenes
- Location, Location, Location: The LAPD headquarters that Ana-Lucia and Big Mike arrive at after their shift is the Gold Bond Building in Honolulu.
Allusions and References
- Epic of Gilgamesh: In Locke's crossword puzzle, he writes down "Gilgamesh" as the answer to "Enkidu's friend."
- Gilgamesh was a historical king of Uruk in Babylonia. Two-thirds god and one-third human, he was the greatest king on Earth and the strongest super-human that ever existed. But he was young and oppressed his people harshly. In response to the pleas of his subjects, the sky-god Anu created a wild-man, Enkidu, in the harsh and wild forests surrounding Gilgamesh's lands. Enkidu had the strength of dozens of wild animals, and roamed the wilderness protecting the animals. Eventually Gilgamesh and Enkidu meet and the two fight furiously until Gilgamesh gains the upper hand. Enkidu praises Gilgamesh and the two swear an oath of friendship.
- Gilgamesh proposes a great adventure: to journey into the Cedar Forest and kill its guardian, the great demon Humbaba the Terrible. Enkidu knows about Humbaba from his days in the wilderness and tries in vain to convince Gilgamesh not to undertake this adventure, but assists him in his fight and helps Gilgamesh kill the defeated Humbaba. The two cut down the Cedar Forest and build a raft to float back to their city.
- In reprisal, the goddess Ishtar begs her father, the sky-god Anu, to let her have the Bull of Heaven to wreak vengeance on Gilgamesh and Anu reluctantly agrees. With the help of Enkidu, Gilgamesh slays the Bull of Heaven. Enkidu insults Ishtar, ripping one of the thighs off the Bull of Heaven and throwing it into her face, and tells her that he and Gilgamesh will kill her next. The gods pass judgment that Enkidu had no justification for interfering and helping Gilgamesh against the Bull of Heaven, and Enkidu is overcome with a severe illness before dying. Gilgamesh mourns for days for his fallen friend, but realizes his own mortality and decides he can't live unless granted eternal life.
- Overall Grade: N/A with 0 reviews
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0
- Be the first to review this episode!