|As many of you have noticed, the site is experiencing issues that affect editing and display of images. This is due to resource limitations on the current server setup. I am in the process of moving the site to a dedicated server. This should be completed in a day or two.|
Lost/Raised by Another
Raised by Another is the tenth episode of the first season of Lost, and is the tenth episode overall.
Claire is haunted by nightmarish visions that her baby is in danger. When the nightmares seem to come true and she appears to be attacked, no one believes her. Hurley suggests that they compile a list of the survivors' names, and Boone suggests that it will save time to use the flight manifest as a reference. When Hurley compares the two, it leads to an unnerving conclusion about a passenger named Ethan Rom.
Starring: Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Emilie de Ravin (Claire), Matthew Fox (Jack), Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Maggie Grace (Shannon), Josh Holloway (Sawyer), Malcolm David Kelley (Walt), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Evangeline Lilly (Kate), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie), Terry O'Quinn (Locke), Harold Perrineau, Jr. (Michael), Ian Somerhalder (Boone).
- Claire wakes up from a nightmare involving Locke and her unborn child. That night, Claire wakes up screaming that someone was trying to hurt her baby, that someone held her down and stabbed her with something like a needle. The survivors fan out to check the caves and surrounding area, but nobody saw or heard anything. Hurley decides to start a census to find out who did this to her, but Jack is unconvinced that anything actually happened to Claire. Jack tries to give Claire a mild sedative, which upsets Claire and she packs up and leaves, believing she was safer at the beach.
- Jack finds Kate on the beach. She's worried about how Sayid has been gone for almost a week.
- Charlie has tea with Claire and tells her they could be friends and that he is there for her. After she leaves the caves because of Jack, Charlie catches up to Claire in the jungle. She goes into contractions and tells Charlie to go get Jack. He runs into Ethan and tells him that Claire's having the baby and to get Jack. Once back with Claire, she tells Charlie about the psychic she saw back in Australia. Charlie suggests that the psychic knew that Oceanic Flight 815 was going to crash and that was why he put her on that flight, so that no one else would raise her baby. With her contractions stopped, Claire and Charlie make their way back to the caves but run into Ethan.
- Back at the caves, Sayid staggers in. He tells them he found the Frenchwoman - that they're not alone. As Jack is treating Sayid's wound, Hurley runs into the cave and tells Jack they have a problem - Ethan wasn't on the plane.
- Flashback: Claire
Claire and her boyfriend, Thomas, try to decipher the results of the home pregnancy test she just took - she's pregnant. Claire is worried about the ramifications of being pregnant, but Thomas tells her they could do this, that he loves her.
Two days later, Claire's friend takes her to get a reading done by a psychic, Richard Malkin. He asks her when she found out she was pregnant, even though she hadn't even told her mother about her pregnancy. However, as Malkin continues the reading he becomes frightened by something and tells Claire he can't do the reading and that she has to leave.
Three months later, Thomas tells Claire he can't do this and insinuates that Claire intentionally got herself pregnant. He breaks up and walks out on her. A week later, Claire returns to Malkin's residence and asks him to go through with the reading. He tells her that, during the first reading, he saw something blurry and that blurry was bad. With this second reading, Malkin tells her that it is crucial that Claire raise her child - her spirit must be an influence in the development of her child. Claire tells him that, if she and Thomas don't get back together, she's putting her child up for adoption and leaves.
Malkin spends the next several months calling Claire and telling her he has a plan, begging her not to give up her baby. Later on Claire meets with the prospective adopters of her unborn child, but when it comes time to sign the documents giving up her rights to her child, two different pens refuse to work. Given a third pen, Claire stops and tells the couple she's sorry and that she can't go through with it. She returns to Malkin's residence and asks him what his plan is. Malkin tells her to give her baby to a couple in Los Angeles and that she'll get $6,000 now and another $6,000 when she gets to Los Angeles. He tells her she has to leave tomorrow and that it has to be that particular flight - it can't be any other. Flight 815.
- Who attacked Claire in her sleep?
- Who is Ethan Rom?
- We find out Hurley's real name is in fact Hugo Reyes, though he does not divulge the reasoning behind his nickname.
Behind the Scenes
- Missing in Action: Although credited, Walt does not appear in this episode.
- Location, Location, Location: Malkin's home is actually the Manoa Valley Inn in Honolulu. The law office where Claire meets with the parents who want to adopt her unborn baby was filmed at a conference room at the Hawaii State Supreme Court in Honolulu. This room was later used again in Adrift.
Allusions and References
- Stay-Puft: Sawyer refers to Hurley as "Stay-Puft." The Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man is the mascot for a brand of marshmallows in the 1984 movie Ghostbusters. Gozer, the Ghostbusters' supernatural enemy, demands that the Ghostbusters choose the form the Destructor would take. One of the Ghostbusters chooses the seemingly harmless corporate mascot, but instead a towering, Godzilla-like Stay-Puft Man stomps through NYC.
- Hurley: John, right? John Locke?
Locke: Is this about your census?
Hurley: Yeah, you know, I thought it would be a good idea, you know, get everyone's name and place of residence.
Locke: And who's checking on you?
Hurley: Uh... me?
Locke: It was a joke.
Hurley: Uh, good one.
Locke: Yep. You already know my name. I lived most of my life in Tustin, California.
Hurley: Cool. And, uh, reason for travel? The reason you were in Australia?
Locke: I was looking for something.
Hurley: Looking. Uh-huh. Right on. Something. So did you find it?
Locke: No, it found me.
- Hurley: Hey, Lance!
Hurley: Lance. Your name's Lance, right?
Hurley: Dude, that's right. Lance is a little skinny guy with glasses and red hair.
Ethan: I can see how you'd confuse us.
Hurley: Sorry, dude. Lots of names and faces. Pretty pathetic, huh? You'd think after a couple weeks on the island with the same people, we'd all know each other.
Ethan: Yeah, you're right. You would think so.
Hurley: So we're doing this list, all the survivors' names, home addresses, stuff like that.
Ethan: Okay, well, you already have my name.
Hurley: All right, not Lance.
Ethan: Definitely not.
Hurley: Uh, last name?
Hurley: Rom, R-O-M?
Ethan: That's right.
Hurley: Great. Where you from, Ethan Rom?
Hurley: Right on. Love Canada. Great, uh... Well, that should do it. Thanks for your time, dude.
Ethan: Hey, what's this for?
Hurley: Oh, it's nothing. Just, uh, you know, thought it'd be a good idea.
- Hurley: We just had an incident in the valley last night.
Shannon: An incident?
Hurley: Yeah, Claire, the pregnant girl. You know her? She, uh, kind of got... attacked.
Boone: She okay?
Hurley: Yeah, she's a little shook up, but...
Shannon: I am so not moving to the Rape Caves.
- Hurley: I'm just gonna lay it out straight.
Saywer: Okay, you do that.
Hurley: I hear you have the flight manifest, and I need it and want you to give it to me.
Sawyer: That so?
Hurley: Now, you could do what you normally do when someone asks for something, tell me to screw off.
Sawyer: Screw off?
Hurley: Or you could just give it to me. 'Cause, dude, you could use the points.
Sawyer: Well, gosh, you sure know how to butter a man up, Stay-Puff.
Hurley: It's a gift.
- Overall Grade: N/A with 0 reviews
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0
- Be the first to review this episode!