Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Fool for Love
Fool for Love is the seventh episode of the fifth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the eighty-fifth episode overall, and once again goes into the past. When Buffy is staked by a run of the mill vampire, she starts to obsess over the fates of previous slayers. To find closure the only thing she can do is talk to the one vampire she knows who has killed a slayer--Spike.
Guest Stars: Amber Benson (Tara), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce), Kali Rocha (Cecily Addams), Edward Fletcher (Male Partygoer), Katherine Leonard (Female Partygoer), Matthew Lang (2nd Male Partygoer), Chris Daniels (Stabbing Vampire), Kenneth Feinburg (Chaos Demon), Steve Heinze (Vampire), Ming Liu (Chinese Slayer), April Weeden-Washington (Subway Slayer)
Monster of the Week
- No monster of the week as this episode is centric on Spike's flashbacks.
|1||Chinese Slayer||Spike||Neck Bite||China, 1900|
|7||Subway Slayer||Spike||Snapped Neck||New York City, 1977|
- Spike: It is revealed that the scar over Spike's left eye was from his battle with the Chinese slayer and the jacket that he wears was taken from his battle with the black slayer in New York City.
- Buffy: Buffy learns that the reason why slayers eventually die is because they want to.
- Joyce: Joyce tells Buffy that her illness might be caused by something more and is going into the hospital for observation.
- Never Kill a Boy on the First Date: Spike ends his speech the same way that the Master did in the referenced episode.
- School Hard: Spike first references his last encounter with a slayer in this episode.
- Showtime: Buffy also ends a speech using "here endeth the lesson."
- Angel Crossover: Although not exactly a continuation of the story from this episode, several of the flashbacks in this episode are shown from the perspective of Darla and Angel in the Angel episode Darla.
Behind the Scenes
- Fast Track: The script to this episode had to be written and delivered in four days.
- Alternative Title: This episode was originally going to be titled "Love's Bitch."
- How It Really Happened: James Marsters actually got his scar from a New York City mugging.
Allusions and References
- Anglican Service: The phrase said by Spike at the end of his speech to Buffy is a phrase used by the Anglican church in their church services to end a sermon. The meaning of the phrase is irrelevant, the deeper meaning behind it is the implication that the lesson is comparable to the word of God.
- Spike: Here endeth the lesson.
- Riley throwing a grenade into the crypt to kill all of the vampires.
- Cutting between Spike explaining the fatal flaw of Slayers to Buffy and his fight in 1977.
- The explanation for why Spike and Drusilla split up.
- Spike: Death is your art. You make it with your hands day after day. That final gasp, that look of peace. And part of you is desperate to know: What's it like? Where does it lead you? And now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch you didn't throw or the kicks you didn't land. She really wanted it. Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
- Overall Grade: N/A with 0 reviews
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0
- Be the first to review this episode!