- This article is about the Angel episode from the second season. For the character, see Darla (character).
Darla is the seventh episode of the second season of Angel, and the twenty-ninth episode overall. Darla's story is told through a series of flashbacks while Angel attempts to track her down in the present.
In flashbacks, we see Darla’s life, including her relationship with Angel and dealing with the burden of his soul. In the present, Darla is now feeling the weight of her own soul on her conscious.
Monster of the Week
- Other than Darla, there is no significant "monster of the week."
|1||Gypsy||Darla||Snapped Neck||Gypsy Camp|
No licensed music was used in this episode.
- Wolfram & Hart: Darla is wise to Wolfram & Hart's motivations for bringing her back. Although his superiors tell him to get rid of Darla, Lindsey refuses and she winds up "killing" a security officer. She's taken out to an abandoned bank to be killed, but Angel saves her life. However, all of the events that transpired were set up by Holland to send Darla into Angel's arms and turn him evil.
- Darla: Darla's vampire origin is shown in this episode. In the Virginia colony, Darla was dying of Syphilis (stated in Angel S02E11) when she was transformed into a vampire by the Master. Like Angel, her real name isn't Darla. It was likely given to her by her sire.
- 2x05 - Dear Boy: Angel kidnapped Darla out of the home that she was using under her alias in a previous episode. He attempted to turn her over to his side but failed entirely.
- Cordelia: This won't involve kidnapping again, will it?
- Buffy Crossover: Technically this episode is the second part of a story started in "Fool for Love". However, the story from the Buffy episode isn't technically continued, instead several of the flashbacks are shown from the perspective of Spike rather than Darla.
- First Appearance: Although he's Buffy's first big bad (from the first season of the series), this is the first appearance of The Master chronologically.
- Zitto Kazann reprises his role as the Gypsy Man from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Becoming", part 1.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 4.8/7 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 4th out of the 17 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- Darla: Now do you know what we've become?
- Lindsey: Enemies.
- Darla: Oh, no. Much worse. Now we're soul mates.
- Darla: Do you even know what I am?
- The Master: A woman of some property. No husband, no inheritance. Yes. I know what you are.
- Darla: I'm a whore.
- The Master: Well, yes, that too. You should have asked for a priest long ago, child. Your life may have been the better for it.
- Darla: And you should have paid me a visit before today, father. Your life may have been more interesting because of it.
- Angel: Come on, guys. We're a detective agency. We investigate things. That's what we're good at.
- Cordelia: That's what we suck at. Let's face it, unless there's a website called www.Oh-By-the-way-we-have-Darla-stashed-here.com, we're pretty much out of luck.
- Cordelia: (about Darla) Before he said he could smell her. (Turns to Angel) How about we cruise around with the top down and you take big whiffs? Well, we'll wait until after the sun sets obviously.
- Darla: (talking about Angelus) His name would already be a legend in his home village had he left anyone alive there to tell the tale.
- The Master: We stalk the surface to feed and grow our ranks. We do not live amongst the human pestilence.
- Angelus: I'll be honest. You really couldn't with that face, now could you?
- Angelus: It's not stuck like that now is it?
- Darla: The Master has grown past the curse of human features.
- Angelus: I'm not gonna get a bat-nose like that, huh? Am I?
- Drusilla: No. His head's too full of you, grandmother.
- Darla: Stop calling me that.
- Drusilla: Don't be crass. I could be your mommy.
- Angel: Nah, we need to narrow it down further. Keep looking.
- Cordelia: And my sister is living in unit 319.
- Angel: You don't have a sister.
- Cordelia: Sure I do. My older, way older, like 400 years older, blonde sister Darla, no last name. I've been desperately trying to find her because mom and dad are in the coma. Sue, the property manager was... very helpful. She even cried.
- Cordelia: Probably a good idea since it's 1 o'clock in the afternoon and that address is in Sun Valley.
- Angel: Right. Sun.
- Cordelia: Actually I was thinking Valley. I mean, why go there if you don't have to?
- Darla: You took him from me. You stole him away. You gave him a soul.
- Gypsy: He must suffer, as all of his victims have suffered.
- Darla: That is no justice. Whatever pain he caused to your daughter was momentary, over in an instant... or an hour. But what you've done to him will force him to suffer for the rest of eternity!
- Drusilla: Pretty music. Pretty, pretty music. (singing) They cry out for mercy. They cry out for mercy.
- Darla: Show none.
- Cordelia: Angel!
- Angel: Cordy, please, I'm talking.
- Cordelia: Hi, Darla. He can't talk right now. He'll call you back once he's found it. Yeah, okay, bye-bye.
- Angel: Where are you?
- Darla: Better question: where was I? I don't remember anything. It's a great big nothing. Could it be there's no Hell?
- Angel: There's a Hell. A few of them. I've been to one.
- Darla: Turn me back. God! I can't bear this pounding in my chest for another instant!
- Angel: It's a gift. To feel that heart beat - to know, really and for once, that you're alive. You're human again, Darla. You know what that means?
- Darla: Of course I do. It means pain and suffering and disease and death. Look, I released you from this world once, I gave you eternal life. Now it's time for you to return the favour.
- Angel: Favour. Is that what you think? You think you did me a favour? You damned me.