Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Family
Family is the sixth episode of the fifth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the eighty-fourth episode overall, and explores Tara's family and character more thoroughly. In the episode, it's Tara's birthday and her family is desperate to have her return home. If she refuses, her family intends to tell her friends a secret about her which may change their relationship forever.
Guest Stars: Amber Benson (Tara), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce), Clare Kramer (Glory), Charlie Weber (Ben), Amy Adams (Cousin Beth), Steve Rankin (Mr. Maclay), Kevin Rankin (Donny), Ezra Buzzington (Bartender), Megan Gray (Sandy), Teddy Pendergrass (Demon), Brian Tee (Intern), Peggy Gross (Crazy Person)
Monster of the Week
- Lei-Ach Demon:
|1/2||Lei-Ach Demon||Buffy||Broken Neck||The Magic Box|
|3||Lei-Ach Demon||Spike||Stabbed||The Magic Box|
- Tara: Tara's family is revealed to be a sexist patriarchal family unit which used lies about the women of the family being demons to keep them in line. In this episode we also learn that Tara's last name is Maclay. We also find out why Tara sabotaged Willow's locater spell in "Goodbye, Iowa". She didn't want Willow to discover she was part demon.
- Doppelgangland: Megan Gray reprises her role from the referenced episode as Sandy, the vampire who was sired by the evil Willow.
- Final Appearance: This episode is the last to show Willow and Tara's cat, Miss Kitty Fantastico.
Behind the Scenes
- Six Degrees: Amy Adams previously worked with Nicholas Brendon in his movie, Psycho Beach Party. She also is connected to Sarah Michelle Gellar when she continued the role of Kathryn Merteuil in Cruel Intentions 2 after Gellar didn't return to production.
Allusions and References
- Miss Congeniality: At beauty pagents, Miss Congeniality is an award given to the most friendly and sociable contestant. The award is voted on by the contestants rather than the judges and the winner generally doesn't win the pagent.
- Buffy: So, any breakthrough on the identity of Miss Congeniality?
- Spike punching Tara in the face to prove that she's not a demon.
- Giles: So, have you got any ideas?
Xander: I'm thinking maybe scented candles or bath oils of some kind.
Giles: And you are talking about what on earth?
Xander: Tara's birthday, we're at a loss for presents.
Giles: You're in a magic shop and you can't think what to get Tara for her birthday... I believe you're both profoundly stupid.
Xander: Well what should I get her, some lame ol' crystal ball?
Giles: You bloody well better not, I've already got mine wrapped.
- Overall Grade: N/A with 0 reviews
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0
- Be the first to review this episode!