Heroes/Nothing to Hide
From The TV IV
Nothing to Hide is the seventh episode of the first season of Heroes.
Starring: Tawny Cypress (Simone Deveaux), Noah Gray-Cabey (Micah Sanders), Greg Grunberg (Matt Parkman), Ali Larter (Niki Sanders), Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura), Hayden Panettiere (Claire Bennet), Adrian Pasdar (Nathan Petrelli), Sendhil Ramamurthy (Mohinder Suresh, voice-over only), Leonard Roberts (D.L. Hawkins), Milo Ventimiglia (Peter Petrelli)
Guest Starring: Clea DuVall (Agent Audrey Hanson), James Kyson Lee (Ando Masahashi), Lisa Lackey (Janice Parkman), Cristine Rose (Angela Petrelli), Ashley Crow (Sandra Bennet), Matthew John Armstrong (Theodore "Ted" Sprague), Thomas Dekker (Zach), Deirdre Quinn ("Texas" Tina), Rick Peters (Det. Tom McHenry), Stephen Spinella (Oliver Dennison)
Co-Starring: Justin Evans (Simon Petrelli), Jackson Wurth (Monty Petrelli), Kate Connor (Nurse Jennifer), Randall Bentley (Lyle Bennet), Mark Anthony Cage (Highway Patrol), Eliza Coleman (Woman in Car Crash)
Matt and Audrey investigate a mysterious death that they suspect is Sylar-related. Zach finds the tape showing Claire's healing ability. Peter asks his brother Nathan for a favor as Nathan deals with a reporter looking for a juicy story on him. D.L. and Micah head east and there's a surprising incident along the way.
- A dream. Peter Petrelli has a dream. It is a couple of days before the solar eclipse and he is in Charles Deveaux's penthouse reading to him. They're very close. Peter tells Charles a secret. He can fly. Charles is very interested to see that, so Peter backs up and takes a running leap out of the window and sails out over the city.
- Peter Petrelli's Apartment, Lower East Side, New York. Peter is awoken by knocking at his door. It's Simone Deveaux. Her father Charles just died an hour ago. She cries in Peter's arms.
- Bennet house, Odessa. Zach comes over. He's found the tape of Claire Bennet "trying to kill herself like 20 times". It was behind his bed, although he swears he looked there before. Sandra Bennet tells Claire that she'll be home late, so Claire's in charge. She leaves. Claire's brother Lyle finds the tape Claire left on the counter.
- Parkman House, Los Angeles. Matt Parkman thinks that his relationship with Janice has been much improved lately. He was about to tell her of his telepathy, but catches her thoughts. She's afraid he's going to find out a secret. Matt decides not to talk to her and leaves.
- Niki Sanders' House. Tina comes over to see Niki. Niki tells her that D.L. came back, and he took Micah. She couldn't protect him.
- Isaac Mendez's studio, Lower Manhattan. Peter and Simone are at Isaac Mendez's studio. He's gone, along with all his paintings. Simone said that the landlord told her that Isaac took his paintings and left. Peter is puzzled that he left when they were making such good progress. Simone told Peter that just before her father died, he woke up and told her that he had been dying all over the world, but it was a place he didn't recognize. So many people were in terrible pain and nobody looked out for each other. He was worried for them, and for her. But then Peter was there, flying with him. He told Charles that it would all be OK. There were people who cared, who could make a difference. They could save the world. After that, he put his head down and died. Peter told her that he never had a conversation like that with Charles. Simone said that it sounded like something Peter might say. He left messages on her machine saying that he needed a painting Isaac gave her so he could save the world. She asks Peter what he needed the painting for Peter told her to save the world. Simone smiled and told Peter that she sold the painting to Linderman, a businessman from Las Vegas.
- Nathan Petrelli's House, New York. Nathan is at home with his family, his mother Angela, his wife Heidi, and their two sons, Simon and Monty. Oliver Dennison, a sharp reporter from the New York Journal is coming to have brunch with the family. Nathan is suspicious because this Dennison wouldn't be coming if he doesn't have an ace hidden up his sleeve. Heidi tells Nathan that she's spent the past six months practically hiding out at home, but she isn't made of glass and can take it. It is revealed that she is in a wheelchair.
- Police Station locker room, Los Angeles. Matt is talking with Detective Tom McHenry as he prepares for duty. FBI Agent Audrey Hanson comes in and says that she needs Matt. Sylar has struck again. She tells Matt to wear a suit.
- Bennet House. Claire looks for the tape, but sees to her horror that Lyle is watching it. She quickly stops him, but he's already seen her fall from 50 feet and get hit by a car. Claire tells Lyle that it was just special effects, but he doesn't believe it and puts a staple into her hand. He sees her heal rapidly and runs off outside with the tape. Zach is nearby and helps give chase, but Lyle locks himself in the Bennet van. He calls Claire a freak.
- Morgue, Los Angeles. The latest victim is a charred mass, practically a skeleton, identified as Dr. Robert Fresco, an oncologist. For some reason, the body is radioactive. Audrey tells Matt that she's attributed 8 previous mysterious deaths to Sylar, and this is the 9th. A fingerprint was found seared into the bone of the corpse. The fingerprint is that of a Theodore "Ted" Sprague.
- Somewhere east of Las Vegas. Micah and D.L. are driving. Micah tells D.L. that he wants to go back home. He says that Heroes don't run away, they help people. Bad guys run away. D.L. tells Micah that he isn't a bad guy.
- Niki Sanders house. Niki tells Tina that at first she thought she was just having bad dreams, but there's actually another one of her. She has a name, "Jessica". She tells Tina that when someone tries to hurt her, Jessica comes out. Tina tries to tell Niki that there is no Jessica. Niki tells Tina that she sees Jessica in a mirror when she wants to come out, and the part of herself that wants Micah back wants to let Jessica out.
- Accident scene, somewhere east of Las Vegas. D.L. and Micah come upon a car accident involving multiple vehicles. Hiro Nakamura and Ando Masahashi pull up behind them. One vehicle is on fire and gasoline is spilled all over the pavement. A woman is trapped in her car. D.L. and Hiro go to assist. D.L. phases his hand through the door of the woman's car and pulls her out, but the gas tank of her car ignites. Hiro stops time and pushes them to safety. Micah and D.L. don't know how he got over to the side of the road
- Nathan's house. Heidi tells the Dennison that after her accident she was angry for a long time, but at god, not Nathan, even though he was the one driving the car. Peter shows up and is surprised to see the elaborate brunch — they never have brunch. Nathan hustles him away from Dennison. Peter tells Nathan that Charles Deveaux died this morning, and he needs Nathan's help. Peter asks Nathan why he wasn't invited for brunch with the reporter. Nathan tells him that he's not family enough, not when it will cost him the election. Peter asks Nathan to get him the painting Linderman recently bought from Isaac. Nathan tells Peter he can't help. Peter threatens to cause problems with the reporter, and goes out to join the rest of the family.
- Accident scene, somewhere east of Las Vegas. Hiro shows Micah his copy of 9th Wonders #14, and tells him that he can freeze time, and he saved his father. Micah recognized Ando from Niki's house. D.L. hears police sirens and gathers Micah. Micah is proud of his father. He saved the woman from the accident, like a real hero. Micah tries to get D.L. to go back so they can save Niki. D.L. tells him that he's sorry, but they can never go back.
- Theodore Sprague's house, Los Angeles. Matt and Audrey arrive at Sprague's house. After their near disastrous encounter with Sylar, he's concerned that they're going in alone, without backup and no one even knowing where they are. Audrey doesn't want to give Sylar any time to get away. Inside the scene is confusing. There are burn marks all over, like someone with extremely hot hands was touching things. The radiation count is low until they enter a bedroom, where it had been extremely hot, melting the ceiling fan and damaging the walls. No one is home.
- Nathan's house. Peter tells Oliver Dennison how nice Nathan is to his family, using subtle emotional blackmail meant for Nathan's ears. Dennison knows that Linderman donated money to Nathan's campaign. Nathan brushes it off, but is given pause when the reporter mentions that a former campaign staffer said there was talk of a blonde woman in Nathan's hotel room. Peter covers for Nathan, turning the screws of the emotional blackmail. He tells the reporter that Nathan was looking into a clinic for Peter in Las Vegas to treat his depression, and the blonde was a doctor. He tells the reporter that Nathan didn't tell anyone because he wanted to protect Peter.
- Theodore Sprague's house, Los Angeles. Janice Parkman calls Matt, but he doesn't answer. He tells Audrey that he found a prescription bottle of chemotherapy medication for a Karen Sprague in the house. The doctor that prescribed it was Robert Fresco, the charred body in the morgue. They go to Karen's room in the hospital there. Theodore "Ted" Sprague is with his wife, and there's a nurse there. Ted is frightened and takes the nurse hostage when Matt and Audrey come in. He tries to explain that the death of the doctor was an accident. He lost control. Matt uses his telepathy to read Karen's thoughts and calm Ted down. Ted gives up his hostage. Matt continues passing on Karen's thoughts until she dies. Ted goes willingly into custody.
- Nathan Petrelli's house. Niki calls Nathan, and tells him that she hasn't got anywhere else to turn, her husband took her son. Nathan tells her he's sorry, but he can't help her and says that she's got a wrong number when Heidi comes into the room. She asks Nathan if he still loves her. He tells her that she does. She asks Nathan to give her some hope. She thinks that if she has some hope to hold on to, hope that things can be the way they were, then she can walk again. She didn't quite swallow Peter's story about the blonde, but if Nathan tells her that's what happened, she'll believe it. Nathan tells her that's what happened.
- Niki Sanders' house. Frustrated, Niki throws the phone at a mirror, shattering it. Jessica takes control. Tina comes in, and Jessica suggests that she leave. Tina tells her that she's just trying to help. Jessica says that "she" doesn't need her help, referring to Niki in the third person. Either because of that or possibly because of the aura of menace radiating form Jessica, Tina leaves rather hurriedly.
- Hospital, Los Angeles. Audrey congratulates Matt for doing a good job. Matt said that Ted just wanted to talk with his wife one last time. Audrey noted that Matt had been dodging his own wife's calls all day. She leaves to process Ted. Matt calls Janice and leaves her a message. He tells her that he's got a feeling that she's not telling him everything, and he's afraid of some things going unsaid.
- Nathan Petrelli's house. Nathan calls Linderman and tells him that his brother has developed some kind of emotional attachment to the painting he just bought, and he is afraid of what he'll do if he doesn't get it. Linderman agrees to send the painting to New York. Nathan goes to see Peter. Peter is angry with Nathan for cheating on Heidi and says that she needs the truth. Nathan tells Peter that Heidi needs hope, not the truth. He says that what he did with the girl in Vegas wasn't right, but he just needed to be with someone who didn't make him feel guilty every time he looked at her. Nathan lies to Peter and tells him that Linderman won't let the painting go. Peter says that if he had the painting he could make a difference. Nathan asks Peter what kind of difference he could make just with the ability to fly. Peter tells him he's not going to know until he tries. Nathan tells Peter that there was a kidnapping attempt on him in Las Vegas, a man with Horn-rimmed glasses and an associate took him out of his hotel room. He escaped by flying. Peter doesn't believe him. Nathan is worried that if people knew what they could do, they'd be locked up.
- Locker room of a Police Station, Los Angeles. Matt saw that Ted had a strange mark on the back of his shoulder. He sees the same mark on the back of his shoulder in the mirror and wonders where it came from. Detective McHenry tells him that his "FBI girlfriend" arranged for him to re-take the detective exam and arranged some interviews for him. McHenry tells him he won't be able to use his dyslexia as an excuse this time if he doesn't pass. Matt catches McHenry thinking that he's nailing Matt's wife and slugs him.
- Littlefield Motel, near Interstate 14. Micah slips away from D.L. and goes to a phone. The phone is out of order, but Micah touches it, and repairs it. He calls Niki. Jessica answers the phone. Micah knows that it isn't Niki and asks to speak with her. Jessica tells Micah that his mom can't come out until she gets Micah back. She asks Micah where he his, and he tells her, but D.L. grabs the phone from Micah's hands, but the line has gone back to static. He's asks Micah if he was calling his mother. Micah tells him he was just goofing around, but D.L. doesn't want to take any chances and tells Micah they've got a lot of driving to do tonight.
- Mohinder Suresh: "You do not choose your destiny, it chooses you. And people who knew you before cannot know the depth of the changes inside. They cannot fathom how much you stand to lose in failure. That you are the instrument of a flawless design, and all of life hangs in the balance. A hero learns quickly who can comprehend... and who merely stands in your way."
- What happened to Isaac?
- Is there a connection between Charles Deveaux's last words and the strangely similar dream Peter had?
- Micah does indeed have a special ability.
- Nothing of consequence came of Matt's passing out in the convenience store.
- After Claire removes the staple, the blood gets sucked back into her body. That characteristic of her ability has not been seen before or since this episode.
- Isaac has mysteriously vanished, along with all his paintings.
- Nathan arranges for Linderman to send him the painting Peter wanted, but tells Peter he couldn't get it.
- Niki tells her friend Tina that she has another person inside her, named Jessica.
- Micah's extraordinary ability is revealed.
- D.L. shows Micah that he can be a hero.
- Matt uses his telepathy to defuse a tense situation.
- Heidi Petrelli, Nathan's wife, was paralyzed in a car accident six months ago. Nathan was at the wheel.
- Lyle Bennet learns of Claire's healing ability.
- Theodore "Ted" Sprague is a newly discovered super. He has an unstable ability to create high temperatures in his hands. It has the side effect of making him emit radioactivity.
- Missing in Action: Isaac Mendez, The Horn-Rimmed Glasses Man, and Mohinder Suresh did not appear in this episode.