Buffy the Vampire Slayer/End of Days
End of Days is the twenty-first episode of the seventh season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the one-hundred and forty-third episode overall.
Having taken from Caleb a powerful, yet unknown weapon, Buffy reunites with the others to help discover the origin and power of the scythe. Rejuvenated by Buffy’s return, yet devastated by Faith’s failed plan, everyone preps for the upcoming battle that is almost here.
Monster of the Week
- There's no monster of the week in this episode, as it deals with the origins of the Scythe and Buffy's fight with Caleb.
|2||Caleb||Buffy||Stabbed with Scythe||Tomb|
- Potentials: Looks like most of the Potentials who went with Faith to the tunnels died or were massively wounded in the explosion from the previous episode.
- From Beneath You: The First and Caleb merge into one being. It is apparent that the First has the ability to enter everyone as it did Caleb, but perhaps only if they allow it.
- Slayer Mythos: Buffy meets the last Guardian, the watcher of the Watchers. She explains the significance of the scythe and how it was forged to destroy the last true demon. After destroying them and hiding the scythe, they also went into hiding.
- Deus Ex Machina: Once again, Dawn does something unexpected to further the plot. This time, she breaks out a taser and shocks Xander unconscious so that she can return home.
- Dawn: Buffy has Xander kidnap Dawn and take her away from Sunnydale so that she won't be hurt. However, the plan doesn't work because Dawn shocked Xander and commandeered the car.
- Faith: Faith finally gets over her issues with attachment.
- 1x12 - Prophecy Girl and Bargaining (1): Xander has resurrected Buffy from the dead on two separate occasions. Once after she was killed by The Master and again with Willow and Tara after she lept to her death to stop the apocalypse.
- Xander: Besides, if you die, I'll just bring you back to life. That's what I do.
- 3x21 - Graduation Day (1): Anya refers to the time when she wussed out of fighting off the Mayor's ascension because she had previously witnessed one 800 years ago.
- Anya: Well... there was this other apocalypse... this one time, and... well, I took off.
- Season Four: When Dawn and Xander are searching for a crossbow in the car, Dawn hints that she has never lost her crossbow apart from "that Miss Kitty Fantastico incident." Miss Kitty Fantastico was Willow's and Tara's cat.
- Look Who's Back: For the first time since his brief appearance in season 5's "Forever", Angel comes back to Sunnydale.
- Rumors: This episode was rumored to include a scene in which the First impersonated Jesse and talked to Xander about what his life would be like if he continued to fight with Buffy.
Behind the Scenes
- Translation: This episode was titled "Das Ende der Zeit (1)" or "The End of Time (1)" in Germany.
- Original Writer: This episode was originally to be written by Marti Noxon, but she was too busy writing the pilot for Still Life, a drama on FOX that wasn't picked up, and wasn't available to work on this episode.
Allusions and References
- Jaws: Jaws was a Steven Spielberg movie about a killer shark that was menacing the sea. At the end of the movie, with death imminent, the hero of the story shoves an oxygen tank into the shark's mouth and blows it up.
- Anya: We could shove one down their throat and blow 'em up like Roy Scheider did with that shark in Jaws.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Spike makes a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, in which King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table were forced to subdue a killer bunny rabbit using the power of the Holy Hand Grenade.
- Spike: Fulfilled your mission. Found the Holy Grail. Or the Holy Hand Grenade, or whatever the hell that is.
- After exchanging a touching heart-to-heart on the nature of humanity and the upcoming battle ahead of them, Anya and Andrew have a wheelchair fight.
- Buffy: I think it's maybe some kind of scythe. The only thing I know for sure is that it made Caleb back off in a hurry.
- Willow: So it's true. Scythe matters.
- Anya: Okay. I'll get Kennedy to watch the girls. She's tough. Imminent death won't bother her.
- Xander: And you know what's even worse? All the stupid “it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye” jokes. “Hey, Xander, uh, so no more fun and games, huh?”
- Dawn: Giles was just having fun with you.
- Xander: That's not the point. It's an obvious joke. It would be like someone calling me a cyclops.
- Faith: There's only supposed to be one. Maybe that's why you and I can never get along. We're not supposed to exist together.
- Buffy: Also, you went evil and were killing people.
- Buffy: But you're right. I mean, I... I guess everyone's alone. But being a Slayer? There's a burden we can't share.
- Faith: And no one else can feel it. (beat) Thank God we're hot chicks with superpowers.
- Buffy: Takes the edge off.
- Faith: Comforting.
- Buffy: Mm-hmm.
- Guardian: What's your name?
- Buffy: Buffy.
- Guardian: No, really.
- Guardian: It can only mean an end is truly near.
- (Caleb comes up from behind the Guardian and breaks her neck)
- Caleb: I'm sorry, I didn't catch that last part on account of her neck snappin' and all. Did she say the end is near or here?