|On January 4, 2015, I will be shutting down the server that hosts The TV IV website. It has been a very long time since I've been able to put any decent amount of time into the site, and ad revenue is plummeting. I think it is time to shut it down or hand it off to someone who can keep it going properly. If you are interested in taking over the site's code and data, contact administrators at tviv.org. --CygnusTMtalk|
Elizabeth Smith, known as Libby to her fellow survivors, is one of the crash survivors from the tail-section of Oceanic Flight 815 on the mysterious island, and claims to be a clinical psychologist. She is played by Cynthia Watros, where she played a billed role in season two and made occasional guest appearances in the following seasons. She appeared in twenty-one episodes total.
Libby told Hurley that she'd been married several times (at least three). She once broke her leg skiing in Vermont. She also donated her late husband David's boat to Desmond for his attempt to win a sailing race around the world. She said she spent a year in medical school before dropping out and eventually became a clinical psychologist, specializing in marriage and family counseling. However, she spent an unspecified amount of time as a patient in the Santa Rosa Mental Ward slightly over a year before the crash, and it is not yet clear if she really was a clinical psychologist.
The First 44 Days (Season One)
Libby set the leg of Donald, but without supplies, he died of an infection anyway. Libby and Cindy watched over the children, Zack and Emma, who were stranded without their parents after the plane crashed.
After the Others kidnapped 9 people on Day 12, including both children, Libby wanted to leave the beach. Later she told Ana-Lucia that she was worried that the Tail-section Others might have a mole among the group.
When Libby and Michael were gathering fruit for the hike to the other side of the island, Libby told Michael that she thinks Sawyer is more scared then she's ever seen before in her life, and she knows scared. Libby said that they don't dare head inland for more fruit because that is where they come from. At that Michael took off inland to search for Walt, and Libby ran back to the tail-survivors camp.
She and the rest of the tail-section survivors eventually made it to the mid-section survivor's beach camp. It was there that she caught the eye of Hurley and the two formed a relationship. She helped Hurley through his eating problem by talking him into trashing his own private stash of food from the Swan's pantry and going on power walks with him. Libby was also able to talk Hurley out of jumping off a cliff when Hurley's imaginary friend, Dave, told Hurley that the entire island and everyone on it was a figment of his imagination.
Hurley attempted to plan a romantic picnic with Libby, but couldn't remember how to get to the right beach and forgot to bring blankets and drinks. Libby asked Hurley to get some wine from Rose and Bernard while she got the blankets. She retrieved the blankets from the Swan, but was inside when Michael shot and killed Ana-Lucia. Michael, startled by Libby's sudden appearance, shot her twice. She was discovered by Jack and the others, but Jack was unable to treat her injuries and could only inject her with heroin to ease her pain. Libby died inside the Swan, with Hurley by her side, unable to tell everyone what Michael did.
- Information is shown in chronological order. Episodes in bold are flashback episodes.
Before the Crash
- 2x23 - Live Together, Die Alone: Libby is seen in Desmond's flashback giving him the sailboat that brought him to the island. We learn her full first name is Elizabeth and the boat is named after her.
- 2x18 - Dave: It is revealed that Libby was a patient at the Santa Rosa Mental Institution.
On the Island
- 2x04 - Everybody Hates Hugo: First Appearance. Talks to Michael on their way to the Arrow station.
- 2x08 - Collision: Libby and the rest of the tail-section survivors join the fuselage survivors at their beach camp.
- 2x15 - Maternity Leave: Libby helps Claire regain her blocked out memories.
- 2x18 - Dave: Libby tries to help Hurley break a self-destructive pattern.
- 2x20 - Two for the Road: Libby is shot and critically wounded by Michael.
- 2x21 - ?: Libby succumbs to her injuries and dies.
Although her last name hasn't been mentioned on the show, it was revealed by the producers during Comi-Con 2009.
- 2x05 - ... and Found: "I don't think I've ever seen someone so scared in my life. And I know about scared."
- 2x07 - The Other 48 Days: "Naw, it's not that bad. I broke my leg skiing up at Stowe in Vermont. I was on this run, was going pretty fast, I was racing this cute ski patrol guy. I went off this mogul, lost my edge and... bam! Snapped my left leg. Now that... that was bad."