| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
Six months after the death of their grandmother, the Halliwell sisters are reunited at their childhood home. One night, Phoebe finds a magical tome hidden in the attic and reads and incantation, unlocking each of their individual and collective powers and in the process, making them targets to the forces of darkness.
- This is the first time that the sisters use the "Power of Three" spell - "The Power of Three will set us free".
- The spell used in this episode is part of a ritual to kill Jeremy - "Your love will wither and depart, from my life and my heart, leave me be, Jeremy, and go away forever".
- The first spell used by Phoebe is - "Hear now the words of the witches, the secrets we hid in the night, the oldest of spells are invoked here, the great gift of magic is sought".
- This episode features the first spell ever used and it is performed by an unknown witch. It goes: "Ancient one of the earth so deep, master of moon and sun. I shield you in my Wiccan way, here in my circle round, asking you to protect this space, and offer your sun force down". In the Charmed paperback novel called "The Power of Three" however, this witch was named Serena Fredrick. Events in this book and TV episode are basically the same.
- Lori Rom (the original Phoebe) left the show after the pilot episode because of religious beliefs and Alyssa Milano took over the role.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- When Piper asked whether anything happened when Phoebe read the incantation Phoebe said her head spun around and she "vomited split pea soup".
- This is an allusion to the 1973 film "The Exorcist" starring Linda Blair as a girl possessed by a demonic spirit.
- Prue: Piper, the girl has no vision, no sense of the future.
Piper: I really think Phoebe's coming around.
Prue: Well, as long as she doesn't come around here, I guess that's good news.
- Prue: (talking to Phoebe) You always used to push the pointer.
- Phoebe: I forgot your question.
Piper: I asked if Prue would have sex with someone other than herself this year.
Phoebe: Oh, that’s disgusting. Please say yes.
- Piper: Don't tell me you put on a black conical hat and spent the night flying around the neighborhood on a broomstick.
- Prue: Look. Don't you think you're overreacting? We are perfectly safe here.
Piper: Don't say that. In horror movies, the person who says that is always the next to die.