Buffy the Vampire Slayer/All the Way
All the Way is the sixth episode of the sixth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the one-hundred and sixth episode overall.
Co-Starring: Charles Duckworth (Glenn), Dawn Worrall (Christy), Emily Kay (Maria), Adam Gordon (Carl), Steven Anthony Lawrence (Chunky Kid), Sabrina Speer (Girl), Chad Erickson (Guy), Dominic Rambaran (Paramedic #1), Anthony Sago (Paramedic #2), Lorin Becker (Witch Woman), Lily Jackson (Witchy Poo)
While everyone celebrates Xander and Anya’s engagement announcement, Dawn spends Halloween hanging with her friend and two boys. When she’s found to be lying about her whereabouts, everyone goes out looking for her, including Tara and Willow who get into a heated talk concerning the latter’s overuse of magick.
Monster of the Week
- No monsters of the week appear with enough screen time to be considered a Monster of the Week.
|1||Old Man Kaltenbach||Justin||Neck Bite||Kaltenbach's Kitchen|
|2||Driving Woman||Zach||Nick Bite||Unknown Street|
|7||Teenage Vampire||Spike||Shot by a Crossbow||Cemetary|
- Hope Sandoval - "Around My Smile"
- Xander and Anya: Xander and Anya finally announce their engagement to the rest of the gang.
- Willow: Willow's reliance on magic reaches critical point in this episode, as she begins to cast magic on the people she loves in order to make everyone forget about her overzealous magic casting.
- Halloween: When Giles tells Buffy that demons take a rest on Halloween and she shouldn't worry, Buffy brings up the events of the first Halloween episode when they took on the roles of their costumes.
- Life Serial: Buffy makes a comment that Anya shouldn't blame her if they have "this conversation" over and over and over again. She also mentions a mummy hand time loop to Spike.
Behind the Scenes
- Why Dawn?: The reason why this episode is so focused on Dawn is because the actors needed the extra time to choreograph and record their songs for the musical episode, "Once More, With Feeling".
- Rumor Mill: It was rumored that Joss Whedon wanted Oz to return in this episode. This was possible due to Willow's smaller role in the musical episode, but it is unknown as to what the story would have been.
Allusions and References
- Charlie's Angels: Anya refers to Charlie's Angels, the television series in which a rich millionaire named Charlie employs three women to fight crime as his Angels. The series was hugely popular during the 1970s and was recently revived in the form of two major motion picture remakes starring Cameron Diaz and Lucy Liu.
- Anya: Oh no, this is a special kind of Angel called a Charlie. We don't have wings, we just skate around with perfect hair fighting crime.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark: Zach parodys a line from the Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark. In the movie, Indiana Jones and Sallah have uncovered the Well of the Souls where they will find out the location of the Ark. Then Indiana notices the snakes where he says "Snakes, why'd it have to be snakes," to which Sallah replies "Asps, very dangerous. You go first."
- Zach: Pumpkins, very dangerous. You go first.
- Spike: Feel like a bit of the rough-and-tumble?
- Buffy: (shocked) What?
- Spike: Me, you.
- (Buffy stares at him)
- Spike: Patrolling. Hello?
- Buffy: Oh. Uh, I should stay. Maybe tomorrow.
- Spike: Hmm. It's not like I don't already have plans. The Great Pumpkin's on in twenty.
- (he turns and leaves)
- Buffy: So much easier to talk to when he wanted to kill me.
- Buffy: What happened to Xander?
- Giles: He kept poking me with his hook. I sent him over to Charmed Objects. With any luck, he'll poke the wrong one and end up in an alternative dimension inhabited by a 50-foot Giles that squishes annoying teeny pirates.
- Giles: Besides, it's Halloween. It's the one time of the year that supernatural threats give it a well-deserved rest, as should you.
- Buffy: Yeah? What about costumes that take over your personality? Or wee, little, Irish fear demony thingies?
- Giles: Yes, well, if anything calamitous should happen, history suggests it'll happen to one of us.
- Buffy: Is that why you're always cleaning your glasses? So you don't have to see what we're doing?
- Giles: Tell no one.
- Buffy: Were you parking? With a vamp?
- Dawn: I-I didn't know he was dead.
- Justin: Living dead.
- Dawn: Shut up!
- Buffy: How could you not know?
- Dawn: I just met him.
- Buffy: Oh! Oh, so you went parking in the woods with a boy you just met.
- Justin: We've seen each other at parties.
- Buffy: Shut up. I don't believe you.
- Dawn: Oh, like you've never fallen for a vampire?
- Buffy: That was different.
- Dawn: It always is when it's you.
- Vampire: Uh, excuse me. Can we fight now?
- Buffy: Hey, didn't anyone come here to just make out?
- (a couple raises their hands)
- Buffy: Aw, that's sweet. You run.
- Spike: It's Halloween, you nit! We take the night off. Those are the rules.
- Vampire: Me and mine don't follow no stinkin' rules. We're rebels!
- Spike: No, I'm a rebel. You're an idiot.
- Buffy: How's your face?
- Giles: Still ruggedly handsome. "Grandpa", indeed.
- Giles: We need to have a conversation.
- Dawn: This the part where you tell me you're not angry? Just disappointed?
- Giles: Pretty much. Except for the bit about not being angry.