Veronica Mars/Rat Saw God
Rat Saw God is the sixth episode of the second season of Veronica Mars, and the twenty-eighth episode overall.
Starring: Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Percy Daggs III (Wallace Fennel) (credit only), Teddy Dunn (Duncan Kane), Jason Dohring (Logan Echolls), Francis Capra (Eli "Weevil" Navarro), Ryan Hansen (Richard "Dick" Casablancas), Kyle Gallner (Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas) (credit only), Tessa Thompson (Jackie Cook) (credit only)
Guest Starring: Michael Muhney (Sheriff Don Lamb), Krysten Ritter (Gia Goodman), Daran Norris (Cliff McCormack), Rick Peters (Dr. Tom Griffith), Christian Clemenson (Abel Koontz), Christopher B. Duncan (Clarence Wiedman), Joss Whedon (Douglas), Tracey Walter (Manager)
Co-Starring: Brandon Hillock (Deputy Sacks), Patrick Wolff (Hector Cortez), David E. Willis (News Anchor), Greg Baine (Mike), Lisa Terry (Dawn), James Molina (Thumper), Erin Cronican (Assistant), Kim Stolz (Stacy), Verina Marcel (Enriquefreaaque69), Stephen Walters (Nurse), Carl Bresk (Teacher)
Mystery of the Week
- Finding Amelia: Abel Koontz stumbles into Mars Investigations, drunk and looking for help. He asks Veronica to help him find Amelia DeLongpre, his daughter, before he dies. Assuming that the other part of the settlement from Kane Software was to disappear, Veronica follows up on the paper trail by seeing if any personal connections were kept. Her boyfriend lost her when they went to Ibiza in Europe. After running the phone cards Amelia stole from her boyfriend, she finds that one was used in Neptune only a week prior. After realizing that Amelia must be using a fake identity, she confirms that Amelia had a fake ID from her best friend, who made her go on a "booze cruise." She finds that a Margot Schnell (the name on the ID) recently rented a car. She finds which car it is and returns after switching disguises, posing as a businesswoman who left her laptop in the same car. It was last found in Waverly, CA, to which Veronica follows up to a rundown motel. She finds Amelia's palm pilot signal in her room and searches the hotel looking for Amelia. She finds her, dead in the ice machine.
- The mystery kicks into figuring out who killed Amelia at this point. Clarence Wiedman was apparently also attempting to find Amelia and shows up at the motel. The two are alerted to her being accompanied by a man matching her boyfriend's description. They go to his room and Clarence holds him out a window. They determine that he wasn't lying about not killing her. But, she is notified on voice chat that the boyfriend is not to be trusted because of his skills at lying. However, they had the wrong man. The real killer was Carlos Marcado, an Argentinian diplomat's son.
- Keith learns about Curly's involvement in the crash and confronts Aaron Echolls about the possibility that he caused the crash in order to kill Veronica, a witness in his trial.
- Lamb is still unforthcoming about the bus's sabotage, this leads to Keith breaking into the warehouse where the bus is being kept after it was raised from the ocean. After dropping to the floor to avoid being noticed, he finds a dead rat taped to a bus seat.
- A man claiming to be the anonymous witness who placed Logan at the scene of the crime with the bloody knife comes forward to the sheriff and Logan is arrested. He makes bail, but when he returns home, he finds his house on fire, courtesy of the PCH gang.
- The Election: City elections were held and Woody Goodman took the mayoral race. However, as a result to Don Lamb's scapegoating of Keith for the deaths of the kids on the school bus, Lamb won the sheriff election.
- Class Warfare: Logan buys Weevil's grandmother's house after his is burned down by PCH. He moves into Duncan's hotel room.
- Vigilante Justice: Keith Mars confronts Aaron Echolls secretly in an interrogation room over the possible Curly Moran connection to show Aaron just how easily he can get to him.
- Keith: The election for sheriff is held and loses to Don Lamb.
- Aaron: Aaron Echolls appears in jail for the first time this season.
- 1x17 - Kanes and Abel's: Amelia Delongpre was previously introduced when Veronica discovered evidence against Abel Koontz's confession. The settlement explained in the episode occurred after she was discovered in the hotel Veronica put her up in.
- 2x02 - Driver Ed: The man washing up on the beach with Veronica's name written on his hand occurred at the end of the second episode of the second season.
- 1x22 - Leave It to Beaver: Aaron Echolls appears and claims that he didn't kill Lily, but that he saw Duncan acting crazy at the scene.
- Top Model Week: Because of a stunt pulled by UPN in order to promote America's Next Top Model and to draw more attention to other shows during November sweeps, the winner of the episode that preceded the show, Kim, appeared as the other employee at the car rental place.
- Unseen: Tessa Thompson, Kyle Gallner, and Percy Daggs III do not appear in this episode. It is the first time in the series that Wallace does not appear in the episode.
Behind the Scenes
- Nielsens: This episode of Veronica Mars received a 2.1/3 in the Nielsen ratings.
Allusions and References
- The title refers to one of creator Rob Thomas' books.
- Veronica: [in Wiedman's office] What are you the head of, again?