The Walking Dead/What We Become
What We Become is the thirteenth episode of the tenth season of The Walking Dead, and the one hundred forty-fourth episode overall.
Starring: Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon), Danai Gurira (Michonne), Melissa McBride (Carol Peletier) (credit only), Christian Serratos (Rosita Espinosa (archive footage)), Josh McDermitt (Eugene Porter (archive footage)), Seth Gilliam (Gabriel Stokes) (credit only), Ross Marquand (Aaron (archive footage)), Khary Payton (Ezekiel) (credit only), Ryan Hurst (Beta) (credit only)
Also Starring: Callan McAuliffe (Alden) (credit only), Avi Nash (Siddiq), Eleanor Matsuura (Yumiko) (credit only), Cooper Andrews (Jerry) (credit only), Nadia Hilker (Magna) (credit only), Cailey Fleming (Judith Grimes), Cassady McClincy (Lydia) (credit only), Lauren Ridloff (Connie) (credit only), Kevin Carroll (Virgil), Eve Gordon (Celeste), Taylor Nichols (Jeremiah), Olivia Stambouliah (Lucy), Lindsley Register (Laura), Breeda Wool (Aiden), Andrew Bachelor (Bailey)
Uncredited: Laurie Holden (Andrea (archive footage)), Steven Yeun (Glenn Rhee (archive footage)), Corey Hawkins (Heath (archive footage)), Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes (archive footage)), Lauren Cohan (Maggie Rhee (archive footage)), Chandler Riggs (Carl Grimes (archive footage)), Michael Cudlitz (Abraham Ford (archive footage)), Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha Williams (archive footage)), Austin Amelio (Dwight (archive footage)), Steven Ogg (Simon (archive footage))
Michonne arrives on the island with Virgil, only to find he's not been entirely honest with her.
- It's revealed that Virgil's family is dead and winds up trapping her in a cell, as he did with three others. Michonne escapes, but spares his life, getting the others to let him leave. After finding a ship, Virgil stays behind to keep a promise to place flowers at his wife's grave.
- Based on what Judith tells Michonne, it seems to be knowledge that Alpha is dead.
- While getting supplies, Michonne happens upon boots that belonged to Rick. Virgil takes her to the ship that came ashore where he got them from and she finds an iPhone with a drawing etched into it of she and Judith, along with Rick's name and learns that he survived the explosion. She radios Judith who urges her to go find him instead of returning. On her way, Michonne happens upon a couple of survivors who've been cut off from a convoy and helps them.
- Michonne's hallucinations sees an alternate history of previous events. This starts with her not rescuing Andrea (Beside the Dying Fire). She then sees herself as the hapless hitchhiker Rick, Carl, and she (a role here assumed by Daryl) leaving her (Clear). After joining the Saviors, she sees herself surviving the group's attack on the post (Not Tomorrow Yet), and finally as Negan's "right hand gal" when the group is lined up (Last Day on Earth, The Day Will Come When You Won't Be).
- The shot of Rick as he's about to shoot Michonne was an edited reused shot from "Pretty Much Dead Already".
- Happening upon two survivors, Michonne flashes back to the moment in "When the Dead Come Knocking" when she was outside the prison gate and Rick let her in.
- This is Danai Gurira's final episode, although she is expected to be a part of the planned film trilogy.
- Via only archive footage, this episode sees the return of several past cast members: Laurie Holden, Steven Yeun, Corey Hawkins, Andrew Lincoln, Chandler Riggs, Lauren Cohan, Michael Cudlitz, Sonequa Martin-Green, and Steven Ogg.
Behind the Scenes
- Was originally to be the twelfth episode of the season before being switched with "Walk With Us" to be the thirteenth.