The Office (USA)/Halloween
| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
Halloween is the fifth episode of the second season of The Office, and the eleventh episode overall.
On Halloween, all of the members of the office are dressed for a Halloween party. However, Michael is reminded that today is the last day he has to fire a member of his staff. He agonizes over both who to fire and how to fire someone.
Jim and Pam create a fake, but very positive, résumé for Dwight and post it on Monster, Google, and Craigslist. Pam reroutes incoming calls to Jim who gives glowing reviews of Dwight as an employee. Dwight eventually receives some responses and attempts to expand his résumé to include his many talents, eventually blowing the job offer.
Michael eventually settles on one of two obscure Office members, Creed and Devon, deciding to fire one before being convinced to fire the other. The fired member, Devin, leaves in disappointment and offers to share a round of drinks with everyone in the office except Michael, Creed, Angela, and Dwight.
- Michael: A two-headed Michael Scott.
- Jim: Three Hole Punch Jim.
- Dwight: Sith Lord.
- Oscar: Angela.
- Kevin: Mr. Incredible from the Incredibles with a Dunder-Miflin logo.
- Pam: Cat.
- Angela: Cat.
- Meredith: Cat.
- Ryan: No costume.
- Stanley: No costume.
- Creed: Vampire.
- Devon: Hobo.
- Pam, recognizing that Jim could qualify for the jobs they've put up for Dwight suggests that Jim take one. He takes that the wrong way. Jim later confides in the interview that he would have taken the job if Pam were not in the office.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Michael: (talking with Jan's assistant over the speakerphone) Okay, Sherry?
- Sherry: Yeah?
- Michael: If you were getting fired, how would you want to be told so you could still be friends with the person firing you?
- Sherry: ...Jan wants the name as soon as possible Michael.
- Michael: Thanks, I'll call her back. (hangs up and says under his breath)...I wish I could fire Sherry.
- Sherry: Hey, I'm still here.
- Michael: Pam, I have to let somebody go today. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
- Pam: Why did you put it off until Halloween.
- Michael: Because it's very scary stuff.
- Pam: I think this is going to put a damper on the party a little.
- Michael: You're worried about the party? There's a man's life at stake here.
- Pam: So it's a man?
- Michael: No. Or a woman. (contemplatively) A human life. If you had to guess who it would be based on their job performance and who you think deserves to be fired.
- Pam: I just answer the phone.
- Michael: And...sometimes you just let it go to voicemail.
- Dwight: (Responding to a job offer on the phone) Cumberland Mills? How did you get my résumé? Oh no no, I'm very flattered, don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure if it's my official résumé or if it's something that maybe a...satisfied customer posted online. What does it say under Martial Arts training? Oh, okay I'm going to have to supplement that.
- Dwight: (Following up on résumé interest) So you got the fax? So why didn't you add it to the résumé? What do you mean? Of course martial arts training is relevant! Oh, excuse me, I know about a billion Asians who would beg to differ. Uh, yeah, I get a little frustrated when I'm dealing with incompetance! You know what, you can go to hell too! And I will see you there, burning. Fine! Oh wait, will you let me know when you've made a decision?