| Main Page Talk Archives
- This is the Talk Page for the Main Page of The TV IV. Please use this to discuss suggestions and ideas to the main page, and to leave any pertinent feedback. Discussion on specific shows and projects should be brought forth in their respective talk pages. Archives of previous discussions taking place on this page can be seen to the right. For general questions or for messages of immediate importance, please leave a message on the talk pages of CygnusTM or Wizardryo.
As some of you might have already noticed over the past few days, CygnusTM and I are making a dedicated push to optimize and refine the backend of the TV IV in advance of dedicated strategies to help relaunch the TV IV with fresh new content and dedicated editors. The television and digital landscape has changed dramatically since we launched this wiki in 2005(!) and, while the two of us already have a few ideas of our own and will be implementing them over the next few weeks, we would love input from you guys on how to improve the TV IV going forward. --Wizardryo\talk 18:57, 8 October 2013 (CDT)
- Sounds great! In what directions are you planning the changes? Layout? Software? Coverage? Something else?
- I basically think that the basic needs are to maintain the current articles, and expand the actors articles. That's a whole lot of work needed to be done. Personally, I feel that it's more important to look after the basic needs than to add new features...
- Anyhow - surely sounds interesting - looking forward to take part in the changes to come :) --Pierre (talk) 20:42, 8 October 2013 (CDT)
- We're first and foremost looking into optimizing the website to make everything load a lot smoother (some of the pages load absurdly slow). I'm also going to be modernizing the look of the site a little bit and making it more user-friendly in some areas, as the skeleton of the website was designed back in 2005 and hasn't really kept up with MediaWiki or digital advances, so there's a lot of obsolete/redundant hangnails. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the basic needs should be prioritized first, and a lot of those should hopefully start fixing themselves after making the website appealing again to draw new and recurring visitors -- for example, we used to have a bot here that populated all the episode/actor pages with skeletons so people didn't have to manually add them. With more automation and a different subset of people working on the backend of the site, other people will be able to focus solely on the information. We won't be going too crazy with ambitious redesigns, but there's a few ideas that look like they can be easily implemented (hopefully!) and have a high reward, low risk implementation. --Wizardryo\talk 21:22, 8 October 2013 (CDT)
Trending shows rotation
I'm removing Once Upon a Time for the season, Sons of Anarchy in a month or two, and The Voice until the premiere. Does anyone have any good suggestions of what can be used to replace them? The next few showpages with the most views are kind of all over the place, and in some instances (Lost, House) aren't on the air anymore. --Wizardryo\talk 19:07, 21 December 2013 (CST)
- Well... there is different ways to go about choosing the shows. Is most views basically the modus at the moment? Other ways would be to pick (airing) shows that is well-maintaned and has lots of subpages and images? Or new, buzzed-about shows, in order to attract more users to maintain these articles? --Pierre (talk) 11:54, 5 January 2014 (CST)
- No real rhyme or reason for inclusion, honestly. Generally, I think we should go for popular buzz-y shows first (with content), then content (regardless of buzz). We're a little ways off from choosing based on attracting editors. I put up House of Cards since I've been trying to curate that and will probably place Veronica Mars on there in a few weeks closer to the film release. Sons of Anarchy is done until the fall but it's still getting a lot of clicks and is a popular page so I can't really remove it. So yeah, no real inclusion criteria besides guesswork on what people want to click on. Ideally, I think we should find a way to toss on more shows for easy access without making it too cluttered, perhaps in text format underneath the 5 "big" image-based ones. --Wizardryo\talk 19:02, 5 January 2014 (CST)
- No matter how the shows are selected - Sons of Anarchy should be removed, due to it's ending. Game of Thrones ought to be the replacement, both due to buzz and content. I would do it myself, but can't figure out how to go about with the pic.-Pierre (talk) 09:21, 13 January 2015 (CST)
Wanting to fix icons
A while back we were successful in having a smooth experience on the front page in terms of icons. You click on the ABC icon and it took you to the ABC page. Currently some of those links are working and some are taking a person to the image page for the icon, which I argue is an unnecessary journey for a random visitor. I would be interested in helping to work on that, but currently don't have access to edit the front page. Up for anything, or not, :-) !! Best, MarkDilley
- Possibly this is the location to make additions to the list? 
I created a YouTube template back in April for use on the TV IV (seen here in this link), but have had trouble trying to get it to work the way the IMDb, Facebook and Twitter templates work. Is there a way this could be fixed up to get it to work? Eyes Only (talk) 01:18, 4 November 2015 (CST)
What is Going On with This Website
Over the last year, I have been noticing the excessive changes that The TV IV has been facing. From the constant format changes to the rearranging of the episode and season sections in the program infobox. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?! Not to mention that the premieres and finales are being announced around 10 at night, when it used to be around 11PM or midnight, or any other time of the day. WHAT IS GOING ON? Why is this happening? I mean, this is something that has not happened before. Ever since these templates were made, it's like the old ones have becoming extinct, or they don't get used as much as it used to. I BLAME HELMBOY FOR EVERYTHING!!!!! THIS IS ALL HIS FAULT!! I WISH YOU NEVER MADE THOSE TEMPLATES!!! I also like to blame Netha6991 for the rearrangement of sections in the program template. WHAT EVEN ENCOURAGED YOU TO DO THAT?! Also the fault goes to Eyes Only for mandatory commas. Seriously, no one cares about them. GET OVER IT!! This is probably the reason why Pierre left the website, he wanted answers to these questions and he didn't get them. Not to mention the shows that are in development are getting the same treatment. Also, files that have yet to be uploaded are getting their links removes. I mean, what's up with that?! don't understand a thing! I JUST DON'T! I'm just curious and I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but HOW did this even start? I JUST NEED TO KNOW!! I WANT SOME ANSWERS AND I WANT THEM NOW!!
And I'm willing to say to make this one quick statement. If something is made with the old format, whether cast, season, or episodes, why not just leave it there, and continue on. How hard is that? It's like there in plain sight for changing. I don't get it. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?! And, one more point, when the new season begins, DO IT AT 12AM or whatever time it is. Again, you can't do ANYTHING without it being changed around here. I feel that it's just making no sense at all. I WANT ANSWERS!!
- The commas in the Company section of the program templates are supposed to be there to separate the companies (as mentioned in the template itself). This rule was made by the admins and it isn't really worth getting upset over. Eyes Only (talk) 06:34, 21 October 2016 (CDT)
Future Episode Pages
I'm not too sure if anyone will be able to read this, but I've been wanting to know this for awhile: Where are all these future episode titles coming from? In case you're wondering, these are the episode titles that come out before the series or particular season even starts. Caesar213 (talk) 02:29, 18 December 2017 (CST)