Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip/K&R (2)
| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
K&R (2) is the twentieth episode of the first season of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
Guest Stars: Mark McKinney (Andy Mackinaw), Kari Matchett (Mary Tate), James Lesure (Capt. David Boyle), Michael Stuhlbarg (Jerry), Lucy Davis (Lucy Kenwright), JD Walsh (Doctor), Josh Stamberg (Luke Scott), Simon Helberg (Alex Dwyer), Ayda Field (Jeanie Whatley), Camille Chen (Samantha Li), Nate Torrence (Dylan Killington), Amy Hill (Nurse), Tom Virtue (Leon Kushman), John Mahon (George), Matt McCoy (), Rich Hutchman ()
- Format Change: In this episode, the flashback segments from 2001 look softer than their 2007 counterparts. This was because the flashback segments were intentionally shot in standard definition, rather than with high definition cameras.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Racer X: Racer X was a mysterious and enigmatic racer from the anime series Speed Racer. He appeared to be a reckless driver in the series but all of his actions were secretly done out of protection for his brother, Speed.
- Matt: Racer X, here, was driving and we hit a parking meter.
- Doogie Howser: Doogie Howser, M.D. was a dramedy starring Neil Patrick Harris as a teenage doctor named Doogie Howser. The series was broadcast for four seasons on ABC and episodes typically revolved around Howser coping with being an average teenager and a gifted doctor at the same time.
- Harriet: I'm concerned that Doogie Howser is working on my friend and her baby.
- Cyrano de Bergerac: Cyrano de Bergerac was an actual French poet and dramatist whose life was adapted by Edmond Rostand for a play loosely based around events in his life. In the play, Cyrano, an unattractive but articulate man, fell in love with the beautiful Roxanne. Knowing his limitations, he attempted to woo her vicariously through his handsome friend, Christian de Neuvillette, who was fed lines of his creation. In this scenario, Matt is Cyrano, Danny is Christian and Jordan is Roxanne.
- Matt: Hey, I was supposed to be the Cyrano and he goes off—
- Johnny Walker: Tom refers to a brand of Scotch whisky which blends grain and malt whisky into a single 80 proof alcoholic beverage. Johnny Walker Red is the second best selling Scotch whisky, bested only by Jameson.
- Tom: My father's taking shots of a sedative called "Johnny Walker Red."
- Silence of the Lambs: One of the sketch ideas for the show was Holly Hunter auditioning for Silence of the Lambs. Silence of the Lambs was an award winning movie starring Jodie Foster as a FBI Agent who is forced to work with a deranged serial killer and cannibal named Hannibal Lecter (played by Anthony Hopkins) in order to stop a similar series of killings. Holly Hunter is apparently a recurring character for Harriet Hayes.
- Danny: Holly Hunter screen test for Silence of the Lambs.
- Gladiator: A similar sketch to the Silence of the Lambs sketch was proposed with Holly Hunter in Gladiator, apparently in the Russell Crowe role. In the movie Crowe plays a General who is betrayed and forced into slavery as a gladiator for the Roman republic. Both proposed sketches are likely a reference to several Saturday Night Live sketches from the mid-90s where unlikely stars did screen tests for roles on Star Wars, including Christopher Walken as Han Solo and Richard Dryfus as C-3PO.
- Danny: Holly Hunter screen test for Gladiator.
- Matt: 15 minutes goes by without me hearing from you, I'm driving over there with a police escort.
Danny: Where're you getting a police escort from?
Matt: I will commit a crime and lead them on a high speed chase if I have to; I am not kidding around!