- Can't stop the signal.
Serenity is a feature movie based on the series Firefly and was written and directed by the series creator, Joss Whedon. It takes place approximately eight months after Simon and River Tam came aboard Serenity and several months after "Objects in Space", the final episode of the show. The film was released in the USA on September 30, 2005.
Starring: Nathan Fillion (Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds), Gina Torres (Zoe Washburne), Alan Tudyk (Hoban "Wash" Washburne), Morena Baccarin (Inara Serra), Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb), Jewel Staite (Kaylee Frye), Sean Maher (Dr. Simon Tam), Summer Glau (River Tam), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book) David Krumholtz (Mr. Universe)
and Chiwetel Ejiofor (The Operative)
Additional Cast: Nectar Rose (Lenore), Tamara Taylor (Teacher), Glenn Howerton (Lilac Young Tough), Hunter Ansley Wryn (Young River), Logan Craig O'Brien, Erik Erotas (Boy Students), Demetra Raven, Jessica Huang, Marley McClean (Girl Students), Scott Kinworthy (Ensign), Erik Weiner (Helmsman), Conor O'Brien, Peter James Smith (Lab Technicians), Weston I. Nathanson (Trade Agent), CeCe Cline (Young Female Intern), Chuck O'Neil (Vault Guard), Amy Wieczorek (Lilac Mom), Tristan Jarred (Lilac Son), Elaine Lee (Fan Dancer), Terrence Hardy (Mining Camp Boy), Brian O'Hare (Alliance Pilot), Ryan Tasz, Colin Patrick Lynch (Black Room Soldiers), Terrell Tilford (News Anchor), Joshua Kwiat (Slovenly Beaumonde Man)
Serenity finds itself the target of an Alliance agent known only as the Operative as he hunts for River Tam and willing to do whatever it takes to bring her in. It's only through River do the crew finally find out why the Alliance desperately wants her.
- It's revealed that the Alliance attempted to curtail the aggression of the populace of a planet named Miranda. It worked too well, leading almost the entirety to simply let themselves die. However, a 1/10 of a percent had the opposite reaction and became more aggressive, leading to the creation of the Reavers. The Alliance created a story to cover up the events and officially denied the existence of Reavers.
- It's implied that the broadcast of the secret of Miranda weakened the Alliance and the Operative has argued to Parliament that the Tams are no longer a threat, but warns Mal that they may come after in retribution.
- A lot of River's psychosis is revealed to be due to reading the minds of members of government officials. After the secret of Miranda is exposed, she appears to be more mentally healthy.
- After leaving Serenity, Book took up residence on the planet Haven. When the Operative sends Alliance troops to wipe everyone out, Book strikes back, but not before being fatally wounded.
- Wash is killed by Reavers after Serenity leads them into a confrontation with Alliance ships.
- Fans affectionately refer to the film as the Big Damn Movie.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Whedon admits the Fruity Oaty Bar commercial was inspired by the Mr. Sparkle ad from The Simpsons episode "In Marge We Trust".
- The Operative's smug reaction of seeing Serenity bursts through the cloud changes dramatically when he sees they are immediately followed by a fleet of Reaver ships.
- Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
- Mal: Define "interesting".
- Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die?
- Official website for Serenity