Bushwhacked is the second episode of the first season of Firefly, and the second episode overall.
Guest Stars: Doug Savant (Alliance Captain Harken)
On a salvage mission aboard a drifting colony ship, the Serenity crew find signs that the crew were killed by the cannabalistic Reavers. They find one survivor, but things take a turn for the worse when an Alliance ship looking for an unspecified Firefly-class ship with brother-and-sister stowaways shows up and takes them in.
- Reavers: The mysterious reavers appear again (or, going by the FOX airing order, for the first time) in this episode. Several victims of reaver attacks are shown as well, including one live one.
- Blue Sun: The Blue Sun corporate logo can be seen on Jayne's shirt.
- Inara: According to her files, Inara has been with the crew of Serenity for little under a year by the time the events of this episode occur.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 3.6/7 in the Nielsen overnight ratings.
Allusions and References
- Kaylee: So I guess that makes us one man short.
Jayne: Yeah, little Kaylee's always one man short.
- Mal: You tell me right now, little Kaylee. You really think you can (remove the booby-trap)?
Kaylee: Sure. Yea. (pause) I think so. Besides, if I mess it up, it's not like you'll be able to yell at me.
- Jayne: Tell you what I think. I figure that fella we ran into did everyone on board. Killed 'em all. Then he decided to take a swim, see how fast his blood would boil out his ears.
Wash: You're a very "up" person.
- Simon: It's a wonder you're still alive.
Jayne: He looked bigger when I couldn't see him.
- Jayne: (to Simon) That's what space trash does, you know. Kind of latches onto the first big something that stops long enough. Hey, that'd be a bit like you and your sister, wouldn't it?
- Wash: Oh my god! What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing?... Oh right, that would be me.
- Inara: Who's winning?
Simon: I can't really tell. They don't seem to be playing by any civilized rules that I know.
Inara: Well, we're a long way from civilization.