Firefly/Our Mrs. Reynolds
Our Mrs. Reynolds is the third episode of the first season of Firefly.
Starring: Nathan Fillion (Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds), Gina Torres (Zoe Washburne), Alan Tudyk (Hoban "Wash" Washburne), Morena Baccarin (Inara Serra), Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb), Jewel Staite (Kaylee Frye), Sean Maher (Dr. Simon Tam), Summer Glau (River Tam), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book)
After completing a job on a planet, Mal inadvertently ends up married to Saffron, a naive young woman who stows away to be with her "husband". Awkwardness and hilarity ensues until Saffron knocks out Mal and Wash and sets up the ship to be captured by pirates, locking it off-course and sealing the controls. The Serenity is on course with a carrion house, a ship that converts ships to scrap via an electronic net. They manage to shoot out the breakers on the net and catch up to Saffron.
- Jayne: Some time in the past, Jayne was attacked by several men who intended to kill him. He got the better of all the men and stole one of their guns, which he calls Vera.
- Mal: Mal grew up on a planet called Shadow. His mother had a cattle ranch there, so it's presumed that it was an outer rim planet. This would also explain his allegiance to the Browncoats. It would also seem that Mal's father had either died or was simply not around.
- Wash: The planet Wash is from was so thick with pollution that he couldn't see the stars as a child. He says that maybe that's why he decided to become a pilot.
- Book: Once again, Book has a large amount of knowledge about something fairly shady. His long diatribe about carrion houses seems to indicate that he's more than just an ordinary preacher.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Mal: Now think real hard. You been birddoggin' this township for a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell. But, if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
- Mal: I would appreciate it if one person on this boat would not assume that I'm an evil, lecherous hump.
- Saffron: I'd be a good wife.
- Mal: Yeah, well, I'd be a terrible husband.
- Mal: You have the same right as anyone else to live and try to kill people.
- Saffron: We've been wed. Aren't we to become one flesh?
- Mal: Well, no. Uh, we're still two fleshes here.
- Wash: Whoa, good myth.
- Kaylee: Hey! It was your big make-out session that got us into this, sir.
- Mal: I was poisoned.
- Inara: You were drugged.
- Jayne: That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.