Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Innocence (2)
Innocence (2) is the fourteenth episode of the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the twenty-sixth episode overall. Angel loses his soul during a moment of passion with Buffy and he begins to help Spike, Drusilla and The Judge execute their plan.
Special Guest Star: Vincent Schiavelli (Uncle Enios)
As if the apocalyptic situation with The Judge isn't bad enough, the curse inflicted upon Angel has been lifted. With no soul, Angel has reverted to his evil ways and joined forces with Spike and Drusilla. Buffy must now put aside her feelings for the man she once loved and come to terms with the monster he's become.
Monster of the Week
Angelus reveals himself as the true big bad of the season when the Judge, whose immortality was much exaggerated by legend, is completely obliterated by Buffy and a stolen rocket launcher.
|3||Old Man||The Judge||Disintegrated||Mall|
|4||The Judge||Buffy||Blown Up||Mall|
- 'Angel]: After he experienced one moment of bliss, the curse that burdened Angel with a soul is lifted and his soul vacates. As a result, he reverts to his old, bad self. The only hope that the gang had to restore his soul was to reinstate the curse with the help of Jenny's uncle, but he was killed before they could ask for his help.
- 2x06 - Halloween: Xander briefly recalls his military knowledge from when his Halloween costume temporarily turned him into a soldier in order to infiltrate a military base and steal a rocket launcher.
Behind the Scenes
- Timeslot: With this episode, the series permanently moved from Monday nights to Tuesdays.
- Ratings: This episode is the highest rated episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer ever. It scored a 5.2 Neilsen rating and a 6.7 in the overnights. Roughly, the episode was seen by 8.2 million people in total.
- Cut Scene: In the DVD commentary for this episode, Joss Whedon mentions a scene that was cut for time in the first act. The scene depicted Buffy, sitting in class while a teacher is droning on. Eventually, the camera pushes in on her while the realization that she had sex the night before washes over her. This is shown symbolically with a dissipation of the light around her.
- Script Draft Cut: Originally, when Angel confronts and kills Uncle Ennio in his room, there was a much longer scene where the two conversed a bit while Angel begins to torture him. But, because Whedon knew that the script was long already he cut the scene before shooting began.
- International: Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been dubbed into many different languages and the title translated for each different international version. Some international translations of this episode's title are:
- French: "Innocence (2/2)"
- Italian: "Un attimo di felicità" ("A Moment of Happiness")
- German: "Der Gefallene Engel" ("The Fallen Angel")
- Japanese: "高潔" ("Kōketsu" - "Purity")
Allusions and References
- Drusilla: I'm naming all the stars.
- Spike: You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling. Also, it's day.
- Drusilla: I can see them, but I've named them all the same name and there's terrible confusion.
- Drusilla: Psst. We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
- Angelus: Yeah, destroying the world. Great. I'm really more interested in the Slayer.
- Spike: Well, she's in the world, so that should work out.
- Spike: You've really got a yen to hurt this girl, haven't you?
- Angelus: She made me feel like a human being. That's not the kind of thing you just forgive.
- The Judge: (seeing Buffy holding a rocket launcher) What's that do?
- Angelus: You can't do it. You can't kill me.
- (she kicks him in the groin)
- Buffy: Give me time.