Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Scattered
Scattered is the first episode of the second season of Battlestar Galactica, and is the fourteenth episode overall.
Starring: Edward James Olmos (Commander William Adama), Mary McDonnell (Laura Roslin), Katee Sackhoff (Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace), Jamie Bamber (Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama), James Callis (Dr. Gaius Baltar), Tricia Helfer (Number Six), Grace Park (Lt. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii)
Secondary Stars: Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh), Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol), Tahmoh Penikett (Helo), Paul Campbell (Billy Keikeya), Nicki Clyne (Cally), Alessandro Juliani (Lt. Gaeta), Kandyse McClure (PO Dualla)
Cast: Alonso Oyarzun (Socinus), Kerry Norton (Paramedic Ishay), Kurt Evans (Paramedic Kim), Chris Shields (Cpl. Venner), Luciana Carro (Kat), Bodie Olmos (Hot Dog), Jennifer Halley (Seelix), Warren Christie (Tarn), Ty Olsson (Capt. Kelly), Nicholas Treeshin (Sgt. Watkins), Michael Tayles (Flyboy), Leah Cairns (Racetrack), Aleks Paunovic (Marine Sgt. Fischer)
With Adama critically wounded, Colonel Tigh is now in a position he never wanted to be in: commander of Galactica. To make matters worse, an error in jump calculations separates the ship from the rest of the fleet.
Meanwhile, as Starbuck faces Sharon's Cylon identity and her relationship with Helo on Caprica, the crew of the downed Raptor try to stay alive on Kobol.
- This episode had the highest Nielsen rating of the evening.
- Due to not sending out the updated emergency jump calculations, Galactica is separated from the rest of the fleet. Galactica needs to jump back to calculate where the fleet is, but it would take too much time as they would be bombarded by the Cylons. Gaeta figures it would take less time if the ship were networked, which Tigh agrees to. Gaeta makes several firewalls, which the Cylons break through. Once the calculations are obtained, he pulls the network plug, unaware that they broke through the last one.
- A Heavy Cylon Raider crashes into Galactica's starboard flight pod. Inside are several Centurions.
- The Raptor crew leave the openness of the crash site and move into the forest for cover. However, Tyrol, Cally, and Tarn go back to retrieve a medkit for Socinus.
- Sharon sneaks off and takes the Raider Kara came in.
- Adama needs surgery, but with Cottle unavailable, Ishay does what she can stops the bleeding. However, he's still critical and Cottle is needed to operate.
- With Adama out of commission, Tigh is now in command of Galactica, which puts Captain Kelly in second.
- It's revealed that Adama and Tigh met as shipmates when in the fleet. Adama went back in and, having gaining some pull, brought Tigh back in.
- Boomer is put in the brig.
- Lee is on parole, agreeing to do nothing to help Roslin and report back to the brig when off duty.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- When Tyrol confronts Crashdown about sending Tarn to get the second med kit, as the camera is on Tyrol's back he is standing on lower ground than Crashdown, but when has them face-to-face, they are standing at the same level.
- Tigh: This is Bill Adama's ship. This is his command. His orders are still the word of the Gods on this ship. Just so we're clear. This will be Adama's command until the day he dies. And we are not going to let him die. So say we all.
- Helo: I'm not going to let you kill her! Okay? She's carrying my child.
- Kara: My Gods, men are so painfully stupid sometimes! How do you know that?
- Helo: I know, all right? She is not lying.
- Kara: They lie about everything, Helo. Their entire existence is a lie. They're not human, Helo, they're machines. You can't have a baby with a machine.
- Roslin: Colonel, once you find the fleet, I'd like to have a word with you.
- Tigh: There's nothing to talk about. You went up against the Old Man and you lost.