Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Precipice (2)
Precipice is the second episode of the third season of Battlestar Galactica, and the thirty-fifth episode overall.
Starring: Edward James Olmos (Admiral William Adama), Mary McDonnell (Laura Roslin), Katee Sackhoff (Captain Kara "Starbuck" Thrace), Jamie Bamber (Commander Lee "Apollo" Adama), James Callis (Dr. Gaius Baltar), Tricia Helfer (Number Six), Grace Park (Sharon "Boomer" Valerii / Lt. Sharon Agathon)
Secondary Stars: Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh), Aaron Douglas (Chief Galen Tyrol), Tahmoh Penikett (Karl "Helo" Agathon), Nicki Clyne (Cally), Alessandro Juliani (Lt. Felix Gaeta), Kandyse McClure (Lieutenant Anastasia "Dee" Dualla)
While the Cylons begin a crackdown in an effort to help squash the insurgence, Adama continues with a plan to rescue the people of New Caprica by sending in Sharon as a liaison to the resistance.
- This episode originally aired along with the Season 3 premiere episode "Occupation" as a 2 hour episode with only one introduction and credit sequence.
- This episode was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Cavil and Ellen's post-sex conversation about "the twist" and "the swirl" is a reference to the Seinfeld episode "The Fusilli Jerry". In said episode, the title character Jerry has a specially developed sex move, the details of which are never stated other than that it ends with the option of a pinch or a swirl in an unspecified way.
- Tyrol: You know, they're talking about shutting down the marketplace. It's a security risk.
- Tigh: We'll shift targets.
- Tyrol: You were gonna hit the marketplace? The market? Full of civilians. This is crazy. You know, we need to figure out whose side we're on.
- Tigh: Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
- Adama: Sharon can penetrate the Cylon defences.
- Lee: It's not about her.
- Adama: The Centurions can't distinguish her from the other humanoid models. Did you know that?
- Lee: Admiral!
- Adama: They were deliberately programmed that way. The Cylons didn't want them becoming self-aware and suddenly resisting orders. They didn't want their own robotic rebellion on their hands. You can appreciate the irony.
- Roslin: I don't care that it's effective. I don't care that the Cylons can't stop it. It's wrong. No more suicide bombings, Colonel. You understand?
- Tigh: What, are you working for the Cylons now?
- (Roslin slaps him)
- Tigh: I got one job here, lady, and one job only. To disrupt the Cylons, make them worry about the anthill they've stirred up down here so they're distracted and out of position when the Old Man shows up in orbit. The bombings, they got the Cylons' attention. They really got their attention. And I am not giving that up.
- Roslin: We are talking about people blowing themselves up.
- Tigh: You know, sometimes I think that you've got ice water in those veins. And other times, I think you're just a naive little school teacher. I've sent men on suicide missions in two wars now, and let me tell you something. It don't make a godsdamn bit of difference whether they're riding in a Viper or walking out onto a parade ground. In the end, they're just as dead. So take your piety, and your moralising, and your high-minded principles, and stick 'em some place safe until you're off this rock and you're sitting in your nice, cushy chair on Colonial One again. I've got a war to fight.
- Boomer: Hi, Cally. It's me, Boomer.
- Cally: I wish I had a gun.
- Cally: Can you get me out of here?
- Boomer: I don't know. I have nothing to do with internal security --
- Cally: Then frak you, Sharon, you stupid frakked-up toaster! How many times do I have to shoot you, anyway? If you can't help me, then just go away, and leave us alone!
- (a Five shoots Caprica-Six)
- Baltar: Dear God.
- Cavil: She'll be back.
- Second Cavil: But if he pulls that trigger now, you won't.
- Number Six: (to Baltar) Sometimes you have to do things you hate so you can survive to fight another day.
- Sharon: Can I ask you a question? How do you know? I mean, how do you really know that you can trust me?
- Adama: I don't. That's what trust is.
- Zarek: Tell me something, Laura. Last year, you tried to steal the election, didn't you?
- Roslin: Yes, I did, Tom.
- Zarek: (chuckles) Ah, I wish you'd gone through with it.
- Roslin: Me, too.