You're Welcome is the twelfth episode of the fifth season of Angel, and the hundredth episode overall. Cordelia awakens from her coma and attempts to guide Angel back to the right path again.
As Angel reaches his lowest point running Wolfram & Hart, Cordelia wakes from her coma with a vision. However, this becomes a snag in Lindsey's plans.
Monster of the Week
There is no monster of the week in this episode.
Music is listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- Thelma Houston - "Don't Leave Me This Way"
- Senior Partners: The Senior Partners came up with a back-up plan in case they couldn't keep Angel under their collective thumb. Lindsey attempts to raise it, and it looks like it has tentacles, but Cordelia stops the machine before it is let loose. The monster is not seen again in the series.
- Cordelia: Cordelia was knocked out of her coma by the Powers that Be with a vision of bad things to come. She describes Lindsey and his tattoos, among other things in his future. Or, at least, that's what the viewer is led to believe. In actuality, the Powers made her spirit corporeal so that she could guide Angel one last time. The body in the hospital was actually her's.
- Lindsey: Not only do Lindsey's tattoos protect him from being seen by the Senior Partners, it renders him invisible to modern surveillance as well. Aside from these powers, he also has some other mystical skills, including increased strength and what appeared to be advanced alchemy. Eventually, he's defeated and sucked into a vortex by the Senior Partners.
- Lawyer: Can you beat that? The slave, I mean. I mean, I assume the Archduke's gonna beat him and all that.
- 2x17 - Disharmony: Harmony sold out Angel and the others to a vampire cult when she was seduced by the smooth talking of its con artist leader. Because she brought in several humans, it got her promoted to a higher rank within the pyramid scheme.
- Cordelia: Especially since the last time I saw you, you tried to kill me.
- 1x22 - To Shanshu in L.A.: Angel cut off Lindsey's hand in order to prevent him from destroying the Shanshu prophecy by lighting it on fire. He later had it reattached, but the hand that he was given turned out to be evil.
- Lindsey: Got my hand cut off a few years back. Line of duty.
- 1x09 - Hero: Doyle recorded the video for Cordelia when she believed that if they had a television advertisement for Angel Investigations, they would get more clients. That exact video was used in the episode and has appeared every once in a while. Doyle gave his life to save a group of refugee demons from a demon purity hate group.
- 4x12 - Calvary: When Cordelia was possessed by Jasmine, she killed Lilah using a knife made out of The Beast's hide. She attempted to cover it up by maneuvering Angelus towards the body and making him create a deeper wound. Wesley was later forced to decapitate the corpse for fear that she had been turned.
- Wesley: You didn't kill Lilah.
- 1x01 - City Of: Angel shoved Lindsey's client out the window of a Wolfram & Hart boardroom after he killed the woman Angel was attempting to protect and nearly killed Cordelia. Because the client was a vampire, he turned to dust when he hit the sunlight.
- Lindsey: So you kicked him out a window.
- Final Appearance: This episode is Cordelia's final appearance in the series. She disappears when the Powers' mojo wears off and Angel gets a phone call saying that she died.
Behind the Scenes
- Left Out: Charisma Carpenter, who played Cordelia Chase, revealed in numerous interviews that she did not know her character was being killed off. The final scene where Angel finds out that Cordelia was dead all along was not made privy to Carpenter until Boreanaz called her and told her about the scene.
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 3.9/5 in the overnight Nielsen ratings.
- Uncredited Writers: Steven S. DeKnight helped write a great deal of the fight between Angel and Lindsey. Joss Whedon wrote the final scene with Angel and Cordelia. Incidentally, in several takes of the scene, both actors were really crying and not just acting.
Allusions and References
- Bizarro: Bizarro Superman is a fractured version of the normal Superman. He speaks using negatives, believes he is doing good when he's doing wrong and wear a costume with a backwards Superman symbol. Prior to the restructuring of the DC universe, Bizarro came from Bizarro World, a cubic shaped planet where everything is opposite.
- Cordelia: What freakin' bizarro world did I wake up in?
- Fred: Oh God.
- Wesley: I think God is out at the moment.
- Angel: He's a Wolfram & Hart client. Our client. Oh, and he's evil. What are the odds?
- Eve: You weren't home upstairs. Didn't think you'd mind me using your private elevator.
- Angel: Eve, I mind you breathing. Get out.
- Eve: Who's your friend, Angel?
- Cordelia: I'm Cordelia Chase.
- Eve: Oh. My name is--
- Cordelia: I didn't ask.
- Cordelia: Doyle pissed me off so righteously going out like that. But he knew. He knew what he had to do. Didn't compromise. Used his last breath to make sure you'd keep fighting. I get that now.
- Cordelia: Spike's a hero and you're CEO of Hell, Incorporated. What frickin' bizzaro world did I wake up in?!
- Cordelia: I naturally assumed you'd be lost without me, but this?
- Angel: I am lost without you.
- Cordelia: You just forgot who you are.
- Angel: Remind me.
- Spike: She's evil, you gormless tit!
- Cordelia: Excuse me? Who bit whom?
- Angel: Did you call me a tit?
- Cordelia: I thought he had a soul.
- Spike: I thought she didn't.
- Cordelia: I do.
- Spike: So do I.
- Cordelia: Well, clearly mine's better.
- Cordelia: (to Eve) Let's go, Lilah Junior.
- Cordelia: Okay, this is getting us nowhere. Angel, torture her.
- Angel: What?
- Eve: (panicked) What?
- Cordelia: You heard me. Building's clearing out, which means we don't have a lot of time. Have at it!
- Angel: I can't just... torture her.
- Fred: He's right, Cordy. If we sink to their level then—
- (Harmony suddenly tackles Eve and knocks her across Angel's desk)
- Angel: Harmony!
- Harmony: Is this okay? I mean, I am evil, technically. I don't mind torturing her for the team.
- Angel: Yeah. Okay.
- Angel: Harmony, guard Eve. If she moves, eat her.
- Harmony: Really? Thanks!
- Angel: The fail-safe's meant for me. I'm not gonna risk anybody I care about.
- Spike: I'll go.
- Angel: Okay.
- Cordelia: Yeah, save it, Angel. You can order me around all you want, but I know my rights. (unsheathes the sword) And I want to see a lawyer.
- Cordelia: I can't stay. This isn't me anymore. You can say goodbye to the gang for me, explain everything once you understand.
- Angel: That's gonna be never.I need you here.
- Cordelia: Don't make it hard, Angel. I'm just on a different road... and this is my off-ramp. The Powers That Be owed me one and I didn't waste it. I got my guy back on track.
- Angel: Cordy, there's just—
- Cordelia: We take what we can get, champ, and we do our best with it. I'll be seeing you. (turns to walk out, stops, turns around back to Angel) Oh, what the hell. One for the road?
- (kisses Angel, but moments later, the telephone rings)
- Angel: You know, um... I - I don't need to get that.
- Cordelia: That, you have to get.
- (Angel walks toward the phone)
- Cordelia: Oh... and you're welcome.
- Angel: (answers the phone) Hello. Yes, I know. She's... But that's impossible. She's standing right... (turns to Cordelia to see she isn't there) I'm sorry. Yeah. When did she die? Did she, um... She never did wake up? I see. (hangs up) Thank you.