Damage is the eleventh episode of the fifth season of Angel, and the ninety-ninth episode overall. A mentally unstable slayer is on the loose and Angel is forced to team-up with Andrew Wells, the surviving member of "the trio" from the main series.
Co-Stars: Jasmine Di Angelo (Young Dana), David Brouwer (Stock Boy), Kevin Quigley (Dr. Rabinaw), Alex S. Alexander (Carol), Rebecca Metz (Young Nurse), Michael Krawic (Vernon the Creepy Psychic), Mesan Richardson (Swat Team #1), William Stanford Davis (Security Guard), Mike Hungerford (Dock Worker), Debbie McLeod (Real Estate Agent)
Angel and Spike hunt down an escaped mentally young female patient with super strength. They soon discover she's a Slayer who's been empowered through the spell that was cast in the battle that closed the Hellmouth. They soon get help from a friend from the past who's part of a revived Watcher's Council.
Monster of the Week
There is no monster of the week in this episode.
|1||Security Guard||Dana||Throat Cut||Mental Ward|
Music is listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- White Zombie - "Blood, Milk and Sky"
- The Slayers: Giles and the army of recently activated slayers have taken a stance against Angel and his running of Wolfram & Hart. They believe he has walked over to the dark side and, as a result, take Dana with them.
- Gunn: Aside from the law, several demon languages and Gilbert & Sullivan operas, Gunn also gained a knowledge and taste for golf.
- Spike: In this episode, Spike is captured by Dana. Thinking that he's the man who kidnapped and tortured her, she injects him with what looks like heroin and cuts off his arms at the elbow. They are, however, reattached when he's taken back to Wolfram & Hart.
- When Dana speaks in Mandarin, Spike tells her "Sorry, luv. I don't speak Chinese." This is what he said to the Chinese Slayer, the first he killed, as revealed in flashback in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Fool for Love".
- Where Are They Now: Following the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series finale, the gang have split up to cover different continents for recently called potentials. Xander is in Africa, Willow and Kennedy are in Brazil and Buffy and Dawn are in Rome. Andrew is presumably staying with Giles, who is training him to be, essentially, a Watcher.
- Meta-Reference: Andrew makes a comment about the X-Men, "minus the crappy third act." He refers to the first film, directed by Bryan Singer, for which Joss Whedon wrote a draft of. Later, he asked that his name be taken off the movie when the changes he made were not incorporated into the movie. The only bits of his draft that made it into the movie, incidentally, were in the final act.
Behind the Scenes
- Rumors: Following this episode, there were many rumors that Dana would become a recurring character on the show in its sixth season. Whether or not these rumors are true or not will never be known.
Allusions and References
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a popular novel by Ken Kesey that was later adapted into a feature film starring Jack Nicholson. In the story, a man pretends to be mentally unstable to avoid jail but winds up bonding with the people who belong in the ward. At the end of the movie, Chief Bromden picked up a heavy object and broke the window of the ward, escaping into the night.
- Angel: What are you doing here, Spike?
- Spike: Didn't get the memo? Hero of the people now.
- Angel: Oh. Then go and annoy them.
- Spike Right. Demon possession.
- Dr Rabinaw: That's ridiculous.
- Angel: You're not helping, Spike.
- Spike: No, I'm doing. You can hang out for the show-and-tell-me-nothing. I got a demon needs repossessing. Ta. (walks out of the room)
- Angel: Sorry. He's... Is pathological idiot an actual condition?
- Dr Rabinaw: (about Spike) May I suggest that you stop your friend? If he finds Dana, he's gonna wind up dead like the others.
- Angel: Yeah, but he'll just end up coming back.
- Angel: What happened?
- Spike: I just thought I'd see what it was like to bounce off the pavement. Pretty much what I expected.
- Andrew: Spike?
- Spike: Oh, for the love of--
- Andrew: Spike? It's you. It's really you! My therapist thought I was holding onto false hope, but I knew you'd come back. You're like - You're like Gandalf the White, resurrected from the pit of the Balrog, more beautiful than ever. He's alive, Frodo. He's alive.
- Angel: You two know each other?
- Andrew: Uh, yeah. We saved the world together. I mean, Buffy helped, but it was mostly us.
- Andrew: (to Angel) Check the view screen, Uhura. I got twelve vampire slayers behind me and not one of them has ever dated you.
- Spike: Andrew double crossed us? That's a good move. Hope for the little ponce yet.
- Spike: She's one of us now. She's a monster.
- Angel: She's an innocent victim.
- Spike: So were we, once upon a time.
- Angel: Once upon a time.