Disharmony is the seventeenth episode of the second season of Angel, and the thirty-ninth episode overall. An old friend of Cordelia's shows up and attempts to be part of the team. But can Angel Investigations handle another vampire?
As they are on the trail of vampire cult, Cordelia’s old Sunnydale friend, Harmony, visits. Opening up that she’s a vampire, Cordelia believes she wants to change and tries to help her find her place.
Monster of the Week
- Doug Sanders: Doug was once a motivational speaker who ran a pyramid scheme much like the one being pulled in this episode. He was then turned into a vampire and disappeared before the Department of Justice could put him in jail.
|2||Caged Girl||Vampire||Blood Drained||Warehouse|
Songs are listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- Study of the Lifeless - "The Evening Comes"
- Barbara Streisand - "The Way We Were"
- Baba Googie & Rex - "Don't Say It"
- Wesley: It appears that Wesley has fallen into the role of defacto leader at Angel Investigations. He's even taken Angel's office as his own.
- Cordelia: After much consideration and free clothes, Cordelia has forgiven Angel for abandoning the Angel Investigations crew and giving away the clothes she left at the hotel.
- BtVS - 3x22 - Graduation Day: Sunnydale High School was blown up during the Mayor's attempt at becoming a demon. The resulting giant fireball was what ultimately killed the Mayor and saved the world.
- Harmony: Our high school blew up.
- BtVS - 5x14 - Crush: Harmony's description of her relationship was far from correct. In actuality, she was dumped by Spike, who was just using her for sex. If anyone was clingy and obsessive in that relationship, it was her. The aftermath of Spike breaking it off with Harmony was shown in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Harmony: I just broke up with someone. Real smothering relationship. You know, the kind where they just can't live without you?
- 2x12 - Blood Money: Angel gave away some of Cordelia's clothes after firing her and the others from Angel Investigations. He figured that they wouldn't be seeing each other anytime soon, so he used the clothes as a way of getting closer to Anne and suckering her into his scheme to make Wolfram & Hart look like fools. She later found out that he gave them away in "The Thin Dead Line".
- Cordelia: You didn't just hurt me. You gave away my clothes.
- First Appearance: This episode marks the first appearance of both Willow Rosenberg and Harmony Kendall in the series. Both characters have previously appeared on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Willow has been mentioned once before when she was directing Cordelia on how to crack Wolfram & Hart's encryption.
- Crossover: Although it isn't mentioned in this episode, Angel went to Sunnydale in order to console Buffy at her mother's funeral in "Forever".
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 4.4/6 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 6th out of the 17 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- Big Bird: One of the most iconic characters on Sesame Street is Big Bird, an eight-foot-tall yellow bird. The character is a giant puppet (or, rather, a giant muppet because he is a Jim Henson creation) rather than a person in a suit. He was originally controlled by Caroll Spinney.
- Gunn: Big Bird?
- Cordy: Not the Muppet, you dumbass.
- On the shots where Harmony is first talking to Cordelia, and Harmony talks about how Cordelia cut her hair, Harmony's hair keep going on and off her shoulders between shots.
- When Angel and Wesley bursts in on Harmony painting Cordelia's toenails, she puts her hands up, but then Harmony's hands constantly go up and down between shots.
- During the scene of the gang outside the theatre, the street/sidewalk alternates from being wet to dry between shots.
- At the end of the episode, as Angel leaves Wes's office, his reflection can be seen in the glass of the door.
- Angel: Man, atonement's a bitch.
- Angel: Uh...
- Cordelia: Don't.
- Angel: Don't?
- Cordelia: You're gonna start trying to make small talk. Get all stammery. Don't. You might strain yourself.
- Cordelia: Whoa. Big bird.
- Gunn: Big Bird?
- Cordelia: Not the Muppet, dumbass.
- Angel: Well, I thought, you know, she looked so tired and the vision took a lot out of her. Do you think, maybe, that I should send her something? Like flowers, maybe?
- Wesley: Flowers?
- Angel: Yeah. You know, to say, uh, "thanks." Um, "sorry about the migraines." Uh, you know, "I appreciate you."
- Wesley: Yes, by all means. And, uh, while you're at it, pick me up one of those "sorry you shot in the gut!" bouquets.
- (Cordelia talking to Willow on the phone about Harmony)
- Willow: Cordelia! Okay. We're all clear on the fact that Harmony's a vampire, right?
- Cordelia: Oh. Harmony's a vampire? That's why she... Oh, my god, I'm so embarrassed! (giggles) All this time I thought she was a great big lesbo! (pauses to listen) Oh, yeah? Really? Well, that's great! Good for you.
- Willow: Thanks for the affirmation.
- Cordelia: So, you just thought you'd bust into my house and kill my friend without giving her a chance to explain herself?
- Wesley: Yeah.
- Angel: Pretty much.
- Wesley: That was our plan.
- Wesley: Well, I'm unaware of any red bird statuary in downtown Los Angeles, so unless you are, I suggest... (Harmony pops another bubble) someone put a stake through that woman's heart if she persists in popping her bloody chewing gum!
- Wesley: What are you doing?! This book is twelve centuries old!
- Harmony: Okay, so it's not like I messed up a new one.
- Harmony: Ew. Ecch, it tastes funky.
- Angel: It's pig's blood.
- Harmony: Ecch. Well, that's gonna go straight to my hips.
- Wesley: It's all right to speak freely in front of her. She's a vampire.
- Gunn: Don't we kill them anymore?
- Harmony: We always said we were going to do something cool with our lives. Now look at us. You're an office manager and I'm dead.
- Cordelia: Yeah, well, life takes some funny turns sometimes.
- Cordelia: Come on, Harm.
- Wesley: Such a fitting nickname.
- Cordelia: (as Harmony sings) So, uh, what do you think?
- Host: I think your friend should reconsider the name "Harmony".
- Gunn: Just so we're on the same page, when we find this vampire cult, we are going to kill them this time, right?
- Angel: She doesn't have a soul.
- Cordelia: Oh. That's it, isn't it? You're better than her because you have a soul?
- Angel: Well, yeah.
- Cordelia: And, you know, you didn't just betray me, Angel. You didn't just hurt me. You gave away my clothes.
- Angel: To the needy.
- Cordelia: I am the needy!
- Cordelia: Oh my God! These are gorgeous. You have the most amazing taste. You have, like, a gay man's taste, and that's saying something. I love them so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're the best! I have to go try these on. La, la, la, la, la, new clothes. I have new clothes.
- Angel: (to Wesley) I got her clothes.