|The site hasn't been moved yet, but the resource problem has been solved in the short term.|
Angel/Sense and Sensitivity
Sense and Sensitivity is the sixth episode of the first season of Angel, and the sixth episode overall. Kate hires Angel to help find a mobster connected to the death of a county supervisor, but when the mobster employs Wolfram & Hart to break him out, everyone gets a little too emotional.
Co-Stars: Alex Skuby (Harlan), Kevin Will (Heath), Thomas Burr (Lee Mercer), Ken Abraham (Spivey), Jimmy Shubert (Johnny Red), Ken Grantham (Lieutenant), Adam Donshik (Uniform Cop #1), Kevin E. West (Uniform Cop #2), Wilson Bell (Uniform Cop #3), Colin Patrick Lynch (Beat Cop), Steve Schirripa (Henchman), Christopher Paul Hart (Traffic Cop)
Monster of the Week
- Allen Lloyd: Lloyd is not a demon, but worships several demons which give him great strength thanks to his loyalty. Using his job as a sensitivity training counselor, he sends people to emotional extremes through a "talking stick" talisman.
|2||Police Officer||Little Tony||Shot||Precinct station|
Songs are listed in order of appearance in the episode.
- Solomon Burke - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
- Solomon Burke - Baby
- Wolfram & Hart: When Little Tony Papazian uses his phone call to call his lawyers, a man at Wolfram & Hart picks up. They hire Allen Lloyd to turn the police against each other so that Little Tony can kill Kate and escape.
- Kate: Kate's father is introduced in this episode. He's a police officer who retires in this episode. Much of the episode deals with Kate's relationship with him, and how they've been distant since her mom died.
- Cordelia and Doyle: Kate points out Doyle's crush on Cordelia, but she refuses to believe her and he denies it entirely.
- Badge Number: Kate is a detective at the LAPD Metro Precinct. Her badge number is 3747 and among her commendations is the Medal of Valor. Her father, a corporal, had a badge number of 6873 prior to retiring.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 5.0/7 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 4th out of the 15 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- Jar-Jar Binks: Jar-Jar Binks is a character from the Star Wars prequel trilogy who first appeared in The Phantom Menace. Many Star Wars fans regard him as a cheap attempt to cash in on a younger audience. Older fans feel that the character was annoying and some felt that his speech pattern and look was a racist parody of Jamaicans.
- Cordelia: Jar-Jar is getting his own talk show.
- Spock: On Star Trek: The Original Series, Spock was the First Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Spock was a Vulcan, an alien race that live by reason and logic above all. Cordelia is likely referencing this cold dependancy on logic rather than emotion.
- Cordelia: Mr. and Mrs. Spock need to mind-meld now.
- Mark Fuhrman: During the investigation of the murder of Nicole Simpson, O.J. Simpson's ex-wife, a bloody glove was found on O.J.'s property. That glove was found by investigating police officer Mark Fuhrman. During the trial, the defense discredited him as a racist and misogynist who bragged about being in a secret organization called "Men Against Women" and torturing gang members.
- Kate: It means that we'll shine light into the darkest corners of this precinct and give the people a clear view of the brutality and callousness of this police force that will make Mark Fuhrman look like Gentle Ben.
- Dr. Laura: Laura Schlessinger is a conservative radio talk-show host who has a popular call-in advice show called "Dr. Laura." At one time, she had a television spin-off of her radio show, also called Dr. Laura, but the show was quickly cancelled due to protests from gay rights organizations and low ratings.
- Kate: Oh god, listen to me. Suddenly I'm Dr. Laura.
- Angel: What's the magic word?
Angel: No, I don't think 'ugh' is the magic word, if one would call it a word. And even then it's certainly not a magic one.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0