|On January 4, 2015, I will be shutting down the server that hosts The TV IV website. It has been a very long time since I've been able to put any decent amount of time into the site, and ad revenue is plummeting. I think it is time to shut it down or hand it off to someone who can keep it going properly. If you are interested in taking over the site's code and data, contact administrators at tviv.org. --CygnusTMtalk|
Angel/Sense and Sensitivity
Sense and Sensitivity is the sixth episode of the first season of Angel, and the sixth episode overall. Kate hires Angel to help find a mobster connected to the death of a county supervisor, but when the mobster employs Wolfram & Hart to break him out, everyone gets a little too emotional.
Co-Stars: Alex Skuby (Harlan), Kevin Will (Heath), Thomas Burr (Lee Mercer), Ken Abraham (Spivey), Jimmy Shubert (Johnny Red), Ken Grantham (Lieutenant), Adam Donshik (Uniform Cop #1), Kevin E. West (Uniform Cop #2), Wilson Bell (Uniform Cop #3), Colin Patrick Lynch (Beat Cop), Steve Schirripa (Henchman), Christopher Paul Hart (Traffic Cop)
Monster of the Week
- Allen Lloyd: Lloyd is not a demon, but worships several demons which give him great strength thanks to his loyalty. Using his job as a sensitivity training counselor, he sends people to emotional extremes through a "talking stick" talisman.
|2||Police Officer||Little Tony||Shot||Precinct station|
Songs are listed in order of appearance in the episode.
- Solomon Burke - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
- Solomon Burke - Baby
- Wolfram & Hart: When Little Tony Papazian uses his phone call to call his lawyers, a man at Wolfram & Hart picks up. They hire Allen Lloyd to turn the police against each other so that Little Tony can kill Kate and escape.
- Kate: Kate's father is introduced in this episode. He's a police officer who retires in this episode. Much of the episode deals with Kate's relationship with him, and how they've been distant since her mom died.
- Cordelia and Doyle: Kate points out Doyle's crush on Cordelia, but she refuses to believe her and he denies it entirely.
- Badge Number: Kate is a detective at the LAPD Metro Precinct. Her badge number is 3747 and among her commendations is the Medal of Valor. Her father, a corporal, had a badge number of 6873 prior to retiring.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 5.0/7 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 4th out of the 15 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- Jar-Jar Binks: Jar-Jar Binks is a character from the Star Wars prequel trilogy who first appeared in The Phantom Menace. Many Star Wars fans regard him as a cheap attempt to cash in on a younger audience. Older fans feel that the character was annoying and some felt that his speech pattern and look was a racist parody of Jamaicans.
- Cordelia: Jar-Jar is getting his own talk show.
- Spock: On Star Trek: The Original Series, Spock was the First Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Spock was a Vulcan, an alien race that live by reason and logic above all. Cordelia is likely referencing this cold dependancy on logic rather than emotion.
- Cordelia: Mr. and Mrs. Spock need to mind-meld now.
- Mark Fuhrman: During the investigation of the murder of Nicole Simpson, O.J. Simpson's ex-wife, a bloody glove was found on O.J.'s property. That glove was found by investigating police officer Mark Fuhrman. During the trial, the defense discredited him as a racist and misogynist who bragged about being in a secret organization called "Men Against Women" and torturing gang members.
- Kate: It means that we'll shine light into the darkest corners of this precinct and give the people a clear view of the brutality and callousness of this police force that will make Mark Fuhrman look like Gentle Ben.
- Dr. Laura: Laura Schlessinger is a conservative radio talk-show host who has a popular call-in advice show called "Dr. Laura." At one time, she had a television spin-off of her radio show, also called Dr. Laura, but the show was quickly cancelled due to protests from gay rights organizations and low ratings.
- Kate: Oh god, listen to me. Suddenly I'm Dr. Laura.
- Angel: What's the magic word?
Angel: No, I don't think 'ugh' is the magic word, if one would call it a word. And even then it's certainly not a magic one.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0