Veronica Mars/Plan B
Plan B is the seventeenth episode of the second season of Veronica Mars, and the thirty-ninth episode overall. Weevil enlists Veronica's help in proving that Thumper killed Felix. Meanwhile, Logan wins a competition to intern as an honorary deputy to Mayor Woody Goodman.
Starring: Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Percy Daggs III (Wallace Fennel), Teddy Dunn (Duncan Kane) (credit only), Jason Dohring (Logan Echolls), Francis Capra (Eli "Weevil" Navarro), Ryan Hansen (Richard "Dick" Casablancas) (credit only), Kyle Gallner (Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas), Tessa Thompson (Jackie Cook)
Guest Starring: Michael Muhney (Sheriff Don Lamb), Krysten Ritter (Gia Goodman), James Molina (Eduardo "Thumper" Orozco), Tina Majorino (Cindy "Mac" Mackenzie), Annie Campbell (Molly Fitzpatrick), Tayler Sheridan (Danny Boyd), Rod Rowland (Liam Fitzpatrick), Brandon Hillock (Deputy Jerry Sacks)
Co-Starring: Valorie Curry (Jane Kuhne), Adam Bitterman (Curly), Patrick Wolff (Hector Cortez), Brad Bufanda (Felix Toombs), Martin Yu (Mr. Wu), Linda Castro ([[[Veronica Mars/Lisa Murphy|Mrs. Murphy]]), Furonda Brasfield (Beverly), Jon Michael Souza (Luis), Caleb Steinmeyer (Charlie), Denise Gossett (Charlie's Mom), Sabin Lomac (Jerk 09er), Richard Neil (Foreman)
- Woody asks Keith to clear Terrance of all charges, saying he's certain Terrance is innocent.
- While they're talking, Logan (who's interning) finds a DVD on the mail of someone shooting from inside Woody's house. After watching it, Keith notices that in the video it's dark outside at 5:30pm, meaning the video is months old. Not long after he tells Woody this, Woody asks him to call off the case, saying the gardener did it and confessed, and insists Keith returns the DVD. Keith complies but has made a copy, which he watches again for clues.
- Weevil confronts Molly Fitzpatrick about Felix's murder, presenting her with a toy truck he says he found in Felix's locker and telling her she doesn't really love Felix if she doesn't try to find out who killed him. Distraught at the River Stix, she asks her uncle Liam why Dr. Griffith changed his testimony. Liam blows up at her and says they were right to kill Felix, a near-confession that Weevil and Veronica pick up through a bug planted in the toy truck. They take it to Lamb but he says the evidence is inadmissible and he's not particularly interested in following up.
- Weevil decides to take matters into his own hands and, as (unbeknownst to him) two kids watch, knocks Thumper out and takes the bag he picked up from the Fitzpatricks. The Fitzpatricks find the money by his truck and assume he stole it. As punishment, they gag him and tie him to a bathroom in the soon-to-be-destroyed stadium.
- Logan and Veronica manage to track down the man who phoned in the 911 tip. He says he didn't go to the police because the PCHers would get him. Veronica talks to his wife and he comes around, telling police the kid who killed Felix rode away on a motorcycle with a spider picture. Lamb quickly identifies the motorcycle as Thumper's and puts out a warrant.
- Searching the stadium before the demolition, the crew finds Thumper's motorcycle but not Thumper. They tell Goodman about it but he says he doesn't want the 20 minute delay it will take to get the motorcycle out and decides to go ahead with the demolition. As everyone watches from home, Logan (as intern) pushes the plunger and implodes the stadium, apparently with Thumper inside.
- Weevil goes to confession.
- Children's laughter can be heard over the end card.
|Mere Mortals||Lost Art|
|Alejandro Escovedo||Gravity/Falling Down Again|
- Wallace: Jane caught Wallace kissing Jackie at the dance. After Wallace tells her that it wasn't her fault, the two break up. Unfortunately for Wallace, Jackie won't take him back either.
- Mac and Beaver: Mac is worried since she and Beaver have been dating four months and Beaver they haven't done anything more than kiss. Mac confronts Beaver who dumps her after getting defensive about it and getting mad she asked Veronica about it.
- Jackie: To offset the hatred she has been undergoing, Jackie is trying to change her image by being a nicer person.
- Thumper: Thumper is apparently killed after being handcuffed in a bathroom at the soon-to-be demolished stadium.
- Music: The featured song of the episode was "Sway" by The Perishers.
Behind the Scenes
- UPN Crossover: Furonda, the winner of the America's Next Top Model acting challenge guest starred in this episode as Woody's secretary.
Allusions and References
- Rushmore: The first shot of Logan, both the line he says and the way he reveals himself from behind a book, is a direct reference to the movie Rushmore.
- Logan: I'm sorry, did someone say my name?
- Easy Rider: Logan's paper seems to be entirely plagiarized from the speech given by Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider. The speech is as follows: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.
- Veronica: "What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about."
- Teddy Roosevelt: Teddy Roosevelt once summed up his international policy ("big stick diplomacy") by quoting a proverb, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." This essentially means negotiating with the looming threat of violence.
- Logan: I'll be speaking softly and carrying a big stick.
- Deputy Dawg: Deputy Dawg is a Terrytoons character who gained popularity in the 1960s when he starred in his own syndicated cartoon series of the same name. The character, essentially, was a deputy sheriff (and also a dog) in a Mississippi bayou.
- Veronica: Run along, Deputy Dawg. Serve your community.
- Dirty Dancing: Logan makes a reference to the climax song of Dirty Dancing, a 1987 movie starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey about a woman who falls in love with her dance instructor at a camp.
- Logan: When I dream of this moment "I've Had The Time of My Life" is playing.
- Napoleon Dynamite: An exchange between Mac and Beaver towards the end of the episode mentions Tater Tots, which is a reference to Tina Majorino's character in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.
- Mac: Is it me?
- Beaver: No, it's the Tater Tots.
- At the conclusion of the episode, Thumper is left in the Shark Stadium by the Fitzpatricks right before it is going to be demolished. In an poetic twist, Logan is the one to set off the explosives as part of his internship duties in the Mayor's office.
- Woody: "I, Logan Echolls, do solemly swear to faithfully execute the office of honorary deputy commissioner of Balboa County, California."
- Logan: I do. Now, if you'll excuse me...
- Woody: Where are you going?
- Logan: I'm going to fire the sheriff.