The Walking Dead/A Certain Doom
A Certain Doom is the sixteenth episode of the tenth season of The Walking Dead, and the one hundred forty-seventh episode overall.
Starring: Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon), Melissa McBride (Carol Peletier), Christian Serratos (Rosita Espinosa), Josh McDermitt (Eugene Porter), Seth Gilliam (Gabriel Stokes), Ross Marquand (Aaron), Khary Payton (Ezekiel), Ryan Hurst (Beta)
Also Starring: Callan McAuliffe (Alden), Eleanor Matsuura (Yumiko), Cooper Andrews (Jerry), Nadia Hilker (Magna), Cailey Fleming (Judith Grimes), Cassady McClincy (Lydia), Lauren Ridloff (Connie), Dan Fogler (Luke), Kevin Carroll (Virgil), Paola Lázaro (Juanita Sanchez), Kenric Green (Scott), Angel Theory (Kelly), Avianna Mynhier (Rachel Ward), Kerry Cahill (Dianne), Nadine Marissa (Nabila), Karen Ceesay (Bertie)
With Beta and the Whisperers surrounding the tower with a horde of walkers, a select few mount a mission to venture outside to herd them away.
- Talking Heads - "Burning Down the House"
- Beta is killed, along with several Whisperers. It's presumed that if any survived, they will no longer be a threat, especially with the horde led off a cliff.
- Eugene and the others finally arrive at the rendezvous, but appear to be too late as there's no sign of Stephanie. However, they are soon surrounded by armed figures in clean and polished armour.
- Maggie returns after learning about the Whisperers. Nothing is known about what's happened to her since, but in addition to being efficient with a bow and arrow, she also brings with her a masked figure whose identity is not revealed.
- Lydia concedes that Alpha really wasn't a mother to her, but tries to form a relationship with Carol, saying that she's not looking for another mother. Carol tells Judith that she needs to find her own way. After donning a skin mask to help the others, she saves Carol from committing suicide in leading the herd off a cliff and then throws her mask over with them.
- Carol admits that she didn't get what she wanted and never will, reconciling with Daryl as he tells her that she still has him and jokes about going to New Mexico. She says maybe someday, but there's still things to do with communities.
- It's revealed that Connie survived and encounters Virgil on his way to the communities.
- Beta's flashes include footage from "We Are the End of the World", "Walk With Us", and "Look at the Flowers".
Behind the Scenes
- Was originally going to air April 12, 2020, but was postponed as post production was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was also going to be the finale before the season was extended in the interim.
- Beta's demise was urged by Norman Reedus suggesting a quick end versus a drawn out fight Ryan Hurst initially wanted before giving into Norman's idea. Hurst was responsible for Beta's peaceful and accepting reaction.
Allusions and References
- As Beta is stabbed in the eyes, we see visions of himself being embraced by the dead. Before he's swallowed up, his face is revealed. Negan recognises him as someone famous, but Daryl just calls him a nobody.
- RJ: I'm scared.
- Gabriel: But we're safe up here.
- Gracie: You've seen how many are coming. Lots more than we have.
- Gabriel: You see these fingers? Not much to look at, right? (makes a fist) But together, they make a mighty weapon. That's who we are. (extending each finger) Alexandria. Hilltop. Oceanside. People of the Kingdom.
- Gracie: Is that enough?
- Gabriel: (wiggling his thumb) I'm not done yet.
- Gracie: Who's that for?
- Gabriel: The others. The ones that aren't here. Those that might find us help. Or come here and help. Together, we will fight. And that's how we will survive. Together.
- Princess: I mean, I thought I'd never see people again, and, wow, look at me now.
- Yumiko: She's right.
- Princess: I am.
- (walkers tear off Beta's mask as they swarm him)
- Negan: Shit. You know who that asshole was?
- Daryl: Yeah. Nobody.
- Princess: Did you guys set up, like, a secret code or something to let 'em know you're here?
- Eugene: (loudly) Greetings! I am Eugene Porter!
- Princess: So, no code. Or really lame code.
- Eugene: She's not here anymore. If she ever was.
- Yumiko: Hey. No regrets, Eugene. That bolo can work its magic some other time.
- Eugene: We're not turnin' back. There are people out here. Maybe not in this very train yard or a hundred mile radius, but they are. Stephanie is. We'll keep trekkin' until we find 'em. The very reason we boldly voyaged was to make what we built stronger by assimilatin' with like-minded folks. So we'll keep lookin' for 'em. And assimilate we shall.
- Princess: Damn, you're one really horny dude.