From The TV IV
Smoking is the third episode of the first season of NewsRadio.
Co-Starring: Monte Russell (Paramedic)
Bill struggles to comply with a new ordinance that prohibits smoking in the office.
Behind the Scenes
- Dave's coffee addiction is reportedly based on Dave Foley's own coffee habit, which is rumored to be measured in pots per day.
Allusions and References
- Fonzie: When Joe tries to fix Dave's laptop by hitting it, Dave says "thanks Fonzie." Fonzie on Happy Days used to do the same, only with more success.
- Woody Allen: Legendary filmmaker Woody Allen made headlines when it was discovered he was having a relationship with Soon-Yi Previn, the adopted daughter of his former lover Mia Farrow.
- Siegfried & Roy: Siegfried & Roy are a popular Las Vegas magicians.
- Steel Magnolias: Steel Magnolias is a 1989 film starring Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley Maclaine and Julia Roberts known as both a "tearjerker" and a "chick flick."
- Dave: Bill, we're now officially a non-smoking office. What you're doing is punishable by a $100 fine.
- Bill: You're kidding.
- Dave: No, I am not kidding.
- (Bill hand's Dave a $100 bill and continues smoking)
- Dave: Bill, that's not how it's supposed to work!
- Dave: Where do you suggest we set up the smoking area.
- Bill: How about a mobile ten foot radius around me?
- Dave: Sir I would really rather you didn't bribe anyone, because I support this non-smoking ordinance.
- Mr. James: And I support fire safety, but you see those sprinklers up there? They're not hooked up to anything. I paid a guy off, had my nephew super-glue 'em to the ceiling. New York, New York... it's a hell of a town!
- Dave: I'll give up coffee, if you give up cigarettes. We'll go through this thing together.
- Bill: How is that supposed to help me? You should have to give up something of equal difficulty. Like going to the bathroom.
- Mr. James: What the hell are you running here?! A radio station or a rehab clinic?
- Dave: (without his daily coffee) Well, uh...
- Mr. James: Oh, fine, you just take a few minutes and try to think up a comeback.
- Dave: Hey Bill, I want you to put one of these on your back.
- Bill: What is it?
- Dave: It's the patch.
- Lisa: Don't you need a prescription for those?
- Dave: Yeah, I went to my doctor this morning and had him prescribe it for me.
- Lisa: Well you don't smoke.
- Dave: No no, but I told him I was thinking about starting. You know I don't think he's a very good doctor.
- Dave: You're fine now. That's all that matters.
- Bill: More or less. There are a few lingering effects, but you shouldn't worry yourself about them.
- Dave: Oh, no no, what is it Bill?
- Bill: I'd rather not say.
- Dave: Anything I can do to help.
- Bill: It smells like an ashtray when I pee. Anything you can do to help me with that?
- Dave: Gosh, I hope not.
- Beth: Hey Dave, maybe you could help me out too. I was wondering if you could go to your doctor and get me fitted for a diaphragm.