- You know the kind of guy who does nothing but bad things and then wonders why his life sucks? Well, that was me: every time something good happened to me, something bad was always waitin' around the corner. Karma. That's when I realized I had to change. So, I made a list of everything bad I've ever done, and one by one I'm gonna make up for all my mistakes. I'm just tryin' to be a better person. My name is Earl.
My Name Is Earl (known as Earl during development) is the product of NBC's slumping ratings over the 2004–2005 season. Due to the falling viewer rates in the current schedule, but critical acclaim for sitcoms like Scrubs and The Office, NBC took a chance by airing another unique series along the same lines. Originally airing Tuesdays at 9PM, around mid-season Earl was moved to Thursdays (along with The Office) as a part of NBC's attempt to rebuild the "Must See TV" Thursday lineup that deteriorated with the loss of Friends and, earlier, Seinfeld.
The show follows Earl Hickey, a no good bastard who is the personification of white trash. But when Earl wins the lottery only to get hit by a car and lose the ticket, he has an epiphany about karma. He realizes that by treating people poorly, he's done himself wrong and immediately sets out to be a better person. As soon as he makes this decision, the ticket blows into his reach again. With help from his brother Randy and a motel maid named Catalina, Earl resolves to make up for all the bad things he's done in his life.
| Season One
|| September 20, 2005
|| May 11, 2006
| Season Two
|| September 21, 2006
|| May 10, 2007
| Season Three
|| September 27, 2007
|| May 15, 2008
| Season Four
|| September 25, 2008
|| May 14, 2009
- At a Glance: Additional information about the series
- The List: All known entries on Earl's list
- Easter Eggs: Easter Eggs found in episodes.
- Music: A list of music played on My Name Is Earl
DVD and Blu-ray Releases