|The site hasn't been moved yet, but the resource problem has been solved in the short term.|
Freaks and Geeks/Tests and Breasts
Tests and Breasts is the fifth episode of the first season of Freaks and Geeks. Daniel is in danger of failing his algebra class, and when Lindsay tries to help him she winds up getting into big trouble at school. Sam has trouble in his sex education class, but after a little help from Daniel he's left more shell-shocked than educated.
Guest Stars: Tom Wilson (Coach Fredricks), Dave (Gruber) Allen (Jeff Rosso), Steve Bannos (Mr. Kowchevski), Shaun Weiss (Sean), Chauncey Leopardi (Alan White), Natasha Melnick (Cindy Sanders), Sarah Hagan (Millie Kentner), Stephen Lee Sheppard (Harris), Lizzy Caplan (Sara), Mary-Margaret Lewis (Miss Landis), Omri Katz (Brad), Judith Drake (Dolores), Marco Gould (Jock #1), Alan Simpson (Jock #2), Renee Cohen (Judith)
The episode begins with a somewhat uncomfortable Coach Fredricks teaching sex education to the Geeks' class. Sam is embarrassed in front of the class when he's unable to answer the Coach's questions. Later, when he and the Geeks overhear but fail to comprehend a dirty joke being told by a jock, they realize to their dismay they need a little help with their sex education.
Meanwhile, Daniel worries about an upcoming algebra test that he needs to pass to avoid repeating the same class the next year. Lindsay offers to teach him a few 'tricks' to help him pass the test. When he comes over to her house that evening, he realizes that the 'tricks' are similar to actually learning algebra. He leaves early, but not before running across a disconsolate Sam, whom he promises to help with his 'education'.
The next day at school Daniel gives Sam a porno film, which the Geeks decide to watch at Neal's house later with the hope of understanding the dirty joke. Daniel steals the algebra test from Mr. Kowchevski's office and convinces a reluctant Lindsay to help him with the answers. Unfortunately, he does so well on the test that Mr. Kowchevski suspects that Lindsay helped him to cheat and arranges a disciplinary meeting, much to the horror of Lindsay (and later, her parents). The geeks watch the porno film at Neal's, but instead of feeling enlightened they come away feeling disgusted.
The Geeks continue to feel disgusted the next day. After a Q&A session in Coach Fredrick's class, he calls Sam aside because of his unusual questions and ends up having a talk with him (about things that he's not technically allowed to talk about) that leaves Sam feeling much better. Meanwhile, Lindsay is racked with guilt about lying to everyone and almost decides to confess; a moving speech from Daniel convinces her not to. A very heated meeting with Lindsay, her parents, Daniel, Mr. Kowchevski, and Jeff Rosso ensues.
- "Takin' Care of Business" by Bachman-Turner Overdrive
- "Superfly" by Curtis Mayfield
- "Love's Theme" by Love Unlimited Orchestra
- "Little Dreamer" by Van Halen
- Maturing Geeks: The Geeks collectively take one small step into adulthood when they start their sex education class and watch a porn film for the first time.
- Daniel: Tries his best to pass the test to avoid repeating his algebra class. He demonstrates his powers of manipulation, and shows that he is not above using them on anyone.
- Sam: Sam enters a new phase of his life as a young adult, and builds up enough confidence to interact with Cindy without turning into a blithering idiot.
- Lindsay: She continues to descend deeper into her new lifestyle by cheating, and her parents and teachers begin to see this change more clearly.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- The Dukes of Hazzard: Neal mentions watching the previous night's 'The Dukes of Hazzard' episode.
- Star Trek: Sam uses Star Trek notebook paper.
- Alien: The geeks compare the female reproductive system to the creature in the 1979 sci-fi / horror classic 'Alien'.
- Led Zeppelin: Daniel writes "Zeppelin rules" on his test paper, and Mr. Rosso amusingly attempts to explain to Lindsay's parents that it is a reference to the rock band Led Zeppelin.
- The Geeks watch a porn film with increasing discomfort.
- Daniel's tearful speech about the emotional trauma caused by being classified as a 'dumb kid' at the age of 11.
- Daniel's second tearful speech about the emotional trauma caused by being classified as a 'dumb kid' at the age of 11.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0