Freaks and Geeks/Chokin' and Tokin'
From The TV IV
Chokin' and Tokin' is the thirteenth episode of the first season of Freaks and Geeks. The Freaks are made to re-evaluate their drug induced lifestyles. Lindsay tries marijuana and has a horrible evening. Bill has a devastating allergic reaction courtesy of Alan.
Guest Stars: Leslie Mann (Ms. Foote), Dave (Gruber) Allen (Jeff Rosso), Claudia Christian (Gloria Haverchuck), Chauncey Leopardi (Alan White), Doug Spinuzza (Barney), Sarah Hagan (Millie Kentner), Kayla Ewell (Maureen), Joanna Garcia (Vicki), Mark Allan Staubach (Mark), Jerry Messing (Gordon Crisp), Steve Bannos (Mr. Kowchevski), Peggy Miley (Lunch Lady), Charlie Hartsock (Mr. Johnson), Ruth Rudnick (Mrs. Johnson), Alexander Gould (Ronnie), Ben Livingston (Doctor), Brian Hartt (Ben White), Jason Lansing (Ernie)
The episode begins with Nick, completely stoned, trying unsuccessfully to restock his marijuana supply. During the Geeks' history class, Bill gets chatty with the cute young history teacher by talking about his and his friends' physical ailments. This annoys Sam and Neal, who feel that Bill has derailed their (perceived) progression up the social ladder and any chance they have with girls.
Nick is forced to give up smoking pot for several days due to the lack of supply. As he becomes more lucid, Lindsay begins to like him more and starts hanging out with him. Daniel tries to get rid of his stash after lying to Nick about not having any (he believes Nick needs to stay off it for his own good), but he and Ken get caught by Councillor Jeff Rosso. Rosso attempts to persuade them to stay clean by introducing them to a wasted stoner friend of his as a glimpse of what their futures hold if they follow their current path. Meanwhile, Bill begins to feel marginalized by Sam and Neal when they tell him they aren't going with him to an upcoming sci-fi convention.
Nick finally gets new stock, and convinces Lindsay to join him. Lindsay, failing to see the appeal of getting stoned, chastises Nick and tells him to clean up his act. An angry Nick tells her she doesn't know anything about getting high, and gives her his stash to prove he isn't addicted. He later ponders a pot-free existence with Daniel and Ken. During lunch, Alan slips some peanuts into Bill's lunch to see if he was telling the truth about his allergies in history class. Bill has an extreme reaction to the peanuts and is rushed to the hospital. While at home, Lindsay decides to try some of Nick's pot, and after several attempts manages to roll a joint and gets high moments before being reminded by Mr. Weir that she has a babysitting assignment that evening.
As Mrs. Weir attempts to console Bill's Mom at the hospital while he remains in critical condition, Sam and Neal worry about what life might be like without him. Alan is brought to the hospital by his Dad to apologize to Bill's Mom for what he did . He sneaks into the unconscious Bill's room and pleads with him not to die, admitting that he didn't really hate the Geeks but was merely reacting to the way they had treated him in the past. Vicki and Maureen show up at the hospital and console Sam and Neal, much to their delight.
Lindsay manages to get Millie to help her with her babysitting task. Millie, realizing that her friend is stoned, agrees only for the safety of the child. As Millie takes care of the child and Lindsay, they both reminisce about their friendship and talk about God and life. Lindsay vows to be friends with Millie again, but Millie realizes that once her head clears, Lindsay will return to being with the Freaks. Bill awakens from his coma and having heard what Alan said to him earlier, invites him to join them for the sci-fi convention.
- "Charlie's Angels Theme" by Henry Mancini
- "Smokin'" by Boston
- "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen
- "Hi-De-Ho" by Blood, Sweat & Tears
- "Aqualung" by Jethro Tull
- "Little Green Bag" by George Baker
- "Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me" by Mac Davis
- First Time Stoned: Lindsay gets her first taste of marijuana.
- Rehab: The Freaks contemplate life without getting stoned when they decide to stay clean (at least for the immediate present).
- Near Death: Bill has a brush with death when he has an extreme allergic reaction to peanuts.
- Alan: Reveals why he antagonizes the Geeks so much - he has the same interests as them and used to think they were cool but they didn't want him to hang out with them.
- Lindsay: Tries marijuana and experiences the worst possible effects. She relies on Millie to get her out of trouble, and realizes her value as a friend. While stoned, she speaks of her atheism (which has been hinted at before) and general unhappiness with life.
- Millie: Proves herself to be a true friend. Reveals that her positive outlook on life is a result of her devoutness.
- Bill: Is resolute in maintaining his own 'geeky' lifestyle without shame. Despite what happened to him, he has the generosity of spirit to offer Alan a chance to hang out with them.
- The show was canceled after this episode was aired.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Charlie's Angels (1976–1981): Sam's cites Bosley as his favourite Angel from the popular TV series, which the Weirs watch during dinner; technically though, Bosley wasn't one of the Angels, and was certainly not the reason the show was popular.
- Rosa Parks: The Geeks are learning about Rosa Parks in their history class. Dubbed "Mother of the Modern-Day Civil Rights Movement", she famously refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white passenger, an action that sparked off the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
- Hydroponic: The new marijuana Nick receives is apparently hydroponic; hydroponics is the growing of plants without soil.
- George Takei: The Star Trek: The Original Series actor who played the Enterprise helmsman Hikaru Sulu is scheduled to appear at the sci-fi convention the Geeks are attending.
- Casper the Friendly Ghost: Sam and Neal contemplate the notion of Bill coming back from the dead and being like the famous cartoon ghost.
- Convention Costumes: The costumes worn for the convention by Bill, Sam, and Neal are respectively: The Doctor from the long running British sci-fi TV series Doctor Who (seemingly The Fourth Doctor); Luke Skywalker in his farm boy getup from Star Wars: A New Hope; Yoda from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.
- Seals and Crofts: Millie attended a concert by the soft rock band, where she apparently witnessed people getting stoned.
- Mac Davis: Mac Davis is an American singer, songwriter and actor whose popularity peaked in the 1970s. He had his own television variety show, 'The Mac Davis Show' on NBC from 1974–76.
- Lindsay: We used to love Mac Davis. We used to watch his show.
- Daniel and Ken meet Jeff's stoner friend.
- Alan's emotional conversation with the unconscious Bill.
- Sam and Neal are comforted by Maureen and Vicki.
- Lindsay being fearful that the dog waking up will cause the end of the world.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0