Buffy the Vampire Slayer/What's My Line? (1)
What's My Line? (1) is the ninth episode of the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the twenty-first episode overall.
Career Week at Sunnydale High leads Buffy to question where her Slayer duties will leave her in terms of a stable future. In the meantime, she must be on guard for the Order of Taraka, a collection of assassins who Spike has sicced on Buffy to distract her as he tries to find a way to restore Drusilla to full health.
Monster of the Week
The Order of Turaka is a society of deadly assassins that date back to the time of King Solomon. According to Giles, their credo is "to sew discord and kill the unwary." The assassins have no Earthly desires beyond the desire to see their bounty through until the end. Each member of the order wears a large gold ring, identifying them as a bounty hunter. Although the hunter that Buffy kills in the ice skating rink is fairly human-like, many of the order's members are not human at all.
|2||Mrs. Kalish||Norman||Eaten||Her Home|
|3||Assassin||Buffy||Throat Cut||Ice Rink|
- Manuscript: The book that the vampire stole from Giles' library with the help of Ford turns out to be a manuscript which supposedly holds the cure to what is ailing Drusilla. The book was written by Du Lac, someone who was part of a religious sect that was excommunicated, in archaic Latin. The transcriber vampire later stole the Du Lac Cross, which can be used to decode certain texts.
- Watcher Lore: Giles has enough "Watcher diaries" that they require reindexing, which implies that the Watchers in the past have been required to keep a record of the supernatural events that they've faced and the training they've work on with their assigned Slayer so that future generations can refer back to them as needed.
- First Appearance: Willy the Snitch, and his bar which caters specifically to vampires and other demons, makes his first appearance in this episode. Although he's a human, he has connections with all sorts of miscreants in the underworld and is occasionally interrogated through out the series.
- Scooby Gang: Xander uses the phrase "Scooby Gang" to refer to Buffy and her allies for the first time in the series. This phrase was adopted by fans as a way of describing the inner circle which includes Xander, Willow and others.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Dorothy Hamill: Dorothy Hamill is a figure skater who won the gold medal for figure skating in the 1976 Winter Olympic Games. Following her performance, she also headlined on the Icecapades touring show until 1984, which kept her in the spotlight long enough for a young Buffy Summers to be influenced by her.
- Buffy: Oh my god, my Dorothy Hamill phase.
- Tony Robbins: Buffy refers to a motivational speaker named Tony Robbins who started a series of self-help seminars titled Unleash the Power Within, in which he frequently has attendees walk over hot coals to represent "the power within."
- Buffy: He's having this Tony Robins hyper-efficiency kick.
- Xander: "Are you a people person, or do you prefer keeping your own company?" Well, what if I'm a people person who keeps his own company by default?
- Buffy: So, mark "none of the above".
- Xander: Well, there are no boxes for "none of the above". That would introduce too many variables into their mushroom head, number-crunching little world.
- Buffy: Do I like shrubs?
- Xander: That's between you and your god.
- Xander: You know, with that kind of attitude you could've had a bright future as an employee at the DMV.
- Angel: Buffy! You scared me.
- Buffy: Now you know what it feels like, Stealth Guy.
- Buffy: Uh, we're having this thing at school.
- Angel: Career week?
- Buffy: How did you know?
- Angel: I lurk.
- Cordelia: Oh, here I am. "Personal shopper or motivational speaker." Neato!
- Xander: Motivational speaker? On what? Ten ways to a more annoying you?
- Cordelia: I can't even believe you. You dragged me out of bed for a ride? What am I, mass transportation?
- Xander: That's what a lot of the guys say, but it's just locker room talk. I wouldn't pay it any mind.
- Cordelia: Oh, right, 'cause I lie awake at night hoping you tweakos will be my best friends.