Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Hell's Bells
Hell's Bells is the sixteenth episode of the sixth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the one-hundred and sixteenth episode overall.
Guest Starring: Casey Sander (Tony Harris), Kali Rocha (Halfrek), Andy Umberger (D'Hoffryn), Lee Garlington (Jessica Harris), Jan Hoag (Cousin Carol), George D. Wallace (Future Xander), Amber Benson (Tara)
and Steven Gilborn (Uncle Rory)
Co-Starring: James C. Leary (Clem), Daniel McFeeley (Warty Demon), Rebecca Jackson (Tarantula), Mel Fair (Tentacle Demon), Nick Kokich (Demon Teen), Robert Noble (Night Manager), Julian Franco (Young Bartender), Susannah L. Brown (Caterer Girl), Joey Hiott (Josh age 10), Abigail Mavity (Sara age 8), Chris Emerson (Josh age 21), Ashleigh Ann Wood (Sara age 18), Megan Vint (Karen)
A nervous Xander readies to wed Anya. However, a stranger claiming to be himself from the future tries to warn Xander of the consequences of their marriage.
Monster of the Week
- There was no monster of the week as such due to the episode dealing mainly with Xander and Anya's wedding.
- The Wedding: Xander calls off his wedding on the day of after being shown his nightmare vision of how it would turn out.
- Anya: Anya is re-offered her vengeance position at the end of this episode after Xander freaks out and can't go through with the wedding.
- Homecoming: Willow refers to the time when the two kissed before Homecoming which eventually destroyed Xander's relationship with Cordelia.
- Missing: Although the majority of the main Buffy cast was at Xander and Anya's wedding, Giles was strangely absent.
Behind the Scenes
- Creator Rewrites: Although this episode was written by Rebecca Rand Kirshner, the scene in which Buffy talks to Spike was written by Joss Whedon.
- Crew Cameo Hopes: Rebecca Rand Kirshner, writer for the episode, wanted to be cast as Spike's date.
- Early Draft: In one of the early drafts of the script, Giles' absence was explained that he was too busy fighting "daemons" (Willow was specific about the spelling) and paid for the flowers in order to compensate.
Allusions and References
- Manic Panic: Manic Panic is a brand of temporary hair dye sold in stores like Hot Topic to counter-culture teenagers because it is sold in a varied array of unusual colors. The magenta in Spike's date's hair is a shade of color that is only typically found in temporary hair dyes like Manic Panic.
- Dawn: A Manic Panic freak who he's, like, totally macking with right in the middle of the room.
- Anya: I, Anya, want to marry you, Xander, because I love you and I'll always love you. And before I knew you, I was like a completely different person. Not even a person, really. I'd seen what love could do to people and it was hurt and sadness. Alone was better. And then suddenly there was you. And you knew me. You saw me. And it was this... thing. You make me feel safe and warm. So, I get it now. I finally get love, Xander. I really do.
- Karen: I'm bored.
- Cousin Carol: It's a wedding, honey. We're all bored.
- D'Hoffryn: Are you okay?
- Anya: I'm tired... of crying. I'm just so tired, D'Hoffryn.
- D'Hoffryn: Oh, Anyanka, I'm sorry, but you let him domesticate you. When you were a vengeance demon, you were powerful. At the top of your game, you crushed men like him. It's time you got back to what you do best. Don't you think?