Peace Out is the twenty-first episode of the fourth season of Angel, and the eighty-seventh episode overall. While Angel attempts to discover Jasmine's name in the temple, Connor searches for the recently moved Cordelia.
Co-Starring: Robert Towers (High Priest), Bonita Friedericy (Patience), Eliza Pryor Nagel (Susan), Bob Pescovitz (News Producer), Gerry Katzman (Technician), Audrey Kearns (Young Woman), Kristin Richardson (Female Reporter), Kyle Ingleman (Jeremy), Jeff Scott Bass (Brent), Kimble Jemison (Cop #1), Blair Hickey (Male News Reporter), Angelica Castro (Telemundo Reporter), Brian Bradley (Grizzled Reporter)
While the others are imprisoned, Angel is in another dimension looking for the name to end Jasmine’s spell just as she's about to go global.
Meanwhile, Connor begins to have a crisis of faith.
Monster of the Week
There was no monster of the week in this episode.
|1||High Priest||Keeper of the Word||Impaled||Temple|
|2||Keeper of the Word||Angel||Decapitated||Temple|
There is no licensed music in this episode.
- Big Bad: The demons that appeared at the end of the previous episode were a "trial run" that Jasmine "helped along" several millennia prior to her coming on Earth. Her spell was broken by Angel and the decapitated head of the keeper.
- The Powers That Be: Jasmine refers to herself as "a power that was." Whether or not she was a sanctioned higher being that was sent to the earthly realm in order to bring world peace is not known.
- Connor: It turns out that Connor wasn't immune to the cure to Jasmine's spell because he always saw her true face. Because he was raised in a hell dimension, appearance doesn't mean much to him. Also, he's easily manipulated and Jasmine was technically his daughter.
- Lilah: Despite being killed by Cordelia in a previous episode, Lilah has returned from the afterlife to antagonize Angel a little more.
- Meta-Reference: The sign outside of the cathedral in which Cordelia's comatose body is being held reads, "God is nowhere, Jasmine is the way." This is likely a reference to Miracles, the ill-fated ABC series that David Greenwalt left the series to create. "God is nowhere" was the tagline for the series.
Behind the Scenes
- Uncredited: Along with David Fury, several other writers had a hand in writing the script. Steven S. DeKnight wrote the fourth act and Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain wrote the final scene.
- Original Idea: Initially, writers wanted to have Cordelia awake from her coma and punch Jasmine's face in (much like Connor did in this episode). However, because Charisma Carpenter was still pregnant, this was impossible.
Allusions and References
- To Serve Man: "To Serve Man" is an episode of the original Twilight Zone series starring Rod Serling. In the episode, aliens come to Earth and lavish humans with good will. One man eventually discovers a book called To Serve Man and, although it was initially thought to be a guide to helping humanity, it turned out to be a cookbook.
- Gunn: "To Serve Man." It's "To Serve Man" all over again.
- Kato: Kato is the sidekick of the Green Hornet, a gangster foiling pulp hero who starred in several stories, movies, and television shows. Kato was the Hornet's Japanese sidekick, who fought using martial arts and acted as his chauffeur. In The Green Hornet, Kato was played by kung fu legend Bruce Lee.
- Lorne: And then what, Kato?
- Galaxy Quest: Gunn quotes a line from GalaxyQuest, a science fiction film starring Tim Allen as the washed up actor of a television series like Star Trek. Allen is abducted by aliens who structured their society around reruns of this series, even going to the extent of creating functional versions of the devices used on the series. The line quoted is Allen's catchphrase from the faux-series.
- Gunn: Never give up, never surrender.
- Connor: All your talk about saving the world. Well, now somebody's gone and done it - made everything right and good. And you can't stand it because you are all so full of yourselves!
- Jasmine: Where's Angel?
- Wesley: You're omniscient. You tell us.
- Wesley: Must be nice for you that we have satellites to beam your message to the rest of the world.
- Jasmine: You're not wrong.
- High Priest: She is the light. She is the way.
- Angel: She is not coming back.
- High Priest: Her true name is known only by the Keeper of the Name.
- Angel: Right! That's you!
- High Priest: No! I am the Guardian of the Word!
- Angel: You said the Word is the Name.
- High Priest: Ye, and I guard the Keeper of it.
- Angel: So you are the Keeper's... keeper?
- Connor: So tell me and I'll crush your windpipe.
- Jeremy: You mean "or" right? Or you'll crush my windpipe?
- Wesley: I think Jasmine may be dependent on Cordelia. She can't hurt her, not without hurting herself. But maybe Cordelia can hurt Jasmine.
- Gunn: That's a whole lot of maybes.
- Wesley: Maybe, but if I'm right, Cordelia might be our only hope to stop Jasmine.
- Connor: I wanted to see you again. I had to - to know that you were still here... with me. I'm sorry I haven't... It's started, Cordy. The new beginning. I just wish you'd wake up and see it. It's just what you wanted. I mean, it is what you wanted, right? Why you came to me? You know, what this was all about. Protecting our baby, Jasmine, so she can be and make this world the kind of place you wanted. And it is better. Not harsh and cruel, the way that Angel likes it so he has a reason to fight. Because, you know, that's what he's about. Him and the others. Finding reasons to fight. Like that's what gives their lives any meaning. The only damn thing! I'm not like them. I just... I want to stop - to stop fighting. I just want to rest. God, I want to rest. But I can't. It's not working, Cordy. I tried. I tried to believe. I wanted it. I went along with the... the flow. Jasmine, she's... she's bringing peace to everyone, purging all of their hate and anger. But not me. Not me! I know she's a lie. Jasmine. My whole life's been built on them. I just...I guess I thought this one was better than the others.
- Male News Reporter: What can we do to show our love for you?
- Jasmine: You don't have to do anything except love one another. Although, a temple would be nice. Something massive and awe-inspiring, yet warm and nurturing!
- Wesley: Gunn, would you stop--
- (Gunn finally kicks the cage door open)
- Gunn: Never give up, never surrender.
- Wesley: Let's go.
- Gunn: That's it? No thank you?
- Fred: Thanks, Charles.
- Gunn: Just want my props is all.
- Jasmine: I offered paradise! You chose this!
- Angel: Because I could. Because that's what you took away from us: choice.
- Jasmine: And look where free will has gotten you.
- Angel: Hey, I didn't say we were smart. I said it's our right. It's what makes us human.
- Jasmine: But you're not human!
- Angel: Workin' on it.
- Jasmine: Why do you hate me so much?
- Angel: Let's run down the list, huh? Rain of fire, blotting out the sun, enslaving mankind, and yeah, oh, yeah. Hey! You eat people!
- Jasmine: Like you never have?
- Angel: Our fate has to be our own or we're nothing.
- Jasmine: I love this world. I sacrificed everything I was to be with you.
- Angel: So you could rule us?
- Jasmine: Because I cared. The other Powers don't. Never really did. You know that's true in your heart. Shame now I gotta rip it out.
- Angel: Go to hell!
- Jasmine: You first, baby.
- Wesley: Something big went down.
- Gunn: (holds up head) Yeah and here's its head.
- Angel: I got a bad feeling. He's just given up. I think he's gonna do something. You know, he might--
- Lilah: End world peace? Well, you already took care of that. Congratulations.