Angel/A New World
A New World is the twentieth episode of the third season of Angel, and the sixty-fourth episode overall.
Guest Starring: Vincent Kartheiser (Connor), Andy Hallett (Lorne), Stephanie Romanov (Lilah Morgan), Mark Lutz (Groosalugg), Erika Thormahlen (Sunny), Anthony Starke (Tyke), Deborah Zoe (Mistress Meerna)
Connor has returned. Having escaped into a strange new world, Angel tries to find him and talk to him. Back at the hotel, the tear to Quor’toth is still open in the Hyperion lobby and while trying to find a way to close it, something else got out. Meanwhile, Lilah begins a campaign to recruit the exiled Wesley to the company of Wolfram & Hart.
Monster of the Week
- There is no monster of the week in this episode.
|1||Thug||Tyke||Shot||Under an Overpass|
|2||Sunny||—||Heroin Overdose||Abandoned Building|
There is no licensed music in this episode.
- Holtz: Unsurprisingly, Holtz has also aged several years while in the hell dimension that he raised Connor in. He has taken on the role of Connor's surrogate father.
- 3x16 - Sleep Tight: When Wesley attempted to escape with Angel's child, he was tricked into coming close to Justine, who slit his throat, stole the baby and left him for dead.
- Lilah: Wow. I guess when she slit your throat she nicked your sense of humor.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 3.4/5 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 5th out of the 15 WB shows which aired that week.
- Credits Change-Up: Keith Szarabajka is not credited until the end of the episode in order to keep his reappearance a secret.
Allusions and References
- Peter Pan: In James Matthew Barrie's novel and stage play, Peter Pan, the title character was a young boy who refused to grow up, so he lived in a fantasy world where he could stay young forever.
- Gunn: Angel, if Peter Pan here doesn't stop...
- Dante's Inferno: The first of three novels in the Divine Comedy series by Dante Alighieri, Dante's Inferno tells the story of a man giving a first person account of his tours through the lands of the dead (namely Hell, Purgatory and Heaven). In the 9th circle of Hell, Dante finds Satan, frozen from the waist down with three men in his jaws; Brutus, Cassius and Judas. The first two were the men who plotted to kill Julius Caesar and the last was the man who sold out Jesus Christ to the Romans.
- Wesley: Dante's Divine Comedy.
- In the previous episode, there was a huge demon that dropped in from the portal just before Connor did. Connor killed it and it just fell to the side, but in this episode there's absolutely no sign of it.
- When Connor goes outside, it's broad daylight, but only a few minutes earlier as seen in the previous episode, it was night.
- Gunn: Couple of weeks ago he was wearing diapers. Now he's a teenager?
- Cordelia: Tell me we don't live in a soap opera.
- Angel: Okay. Look, I'm going underground. Somebody hit the surface streets.
- Gunn: You got it, man.
- Groosalugg: We will not fail... man.
- Lilah: Wow. Guess when she slit your throat, she nicked your sense of humour.
- Wesley: Not at all. I find you being here extremely funny.
- Lilah: (to Wesley) The worst spot in Hell is reserved for those who betray. So don't pretend you're too good to work for us.
- Cordelia: Isn't your neck stiff? You've been standing exactly like that all day.
- Groosalugg: Pylean warriors are trained for such endurance. I once happened upon a heard of Burrbeasts. And as you know, an engorged Burrbeast will couple with anything that moves. I was forced to stand perfectly still for 11 days and nights.
- Cordelia: So you were never...?
- Groosalugg: No. That honour was yours, princess.
- Sunny: So, that was really cool today. So, where’d you learn to fight all badass like that?
- Connor: In Quor’toth.
- Sunny: Quor’toth? In Mexico, right?
- Fred: Connor's new to this world, alone. Probably scared.
- Gunn: Yeah, he looked scared, kicking my ass!
- Angel: There's no need for violence.
- Tyke: I'm sorry, did you say no need for violence? You may want to speak up, you see, (points to his bandaged ear) I don't hear so good anymore!
- Angel: We can make this right.
- Tyke: You can give me a new ear?
- Angel: Well... maybe you can wear a hat.
- Meerna: I hope this pentagram wasn't some dark attempt to close the fissure.
- Gunn: Uh, no, that was a dark attempt to open one. Different one. Long story.
- Holtz: Hello, son.
- Connor: Hi, dad.