21st Century Fox
| This article about a company needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
21st Century Fox is one of the world's largest media and entertainment companies. The company was created on June 28, 2013 through a split of the assets of the former News Corporation into two companies; the publishing and newspaper division was spun off into a new version of News Corporation (doing business under the name News Corp), while the film, television and broadcasting unit was reorganized as 21st Century Fox. Both companies continue to be controlled by founder Rupert Murdoch.
Major movie studio 20th Century Fox was founded in 1935 when Twentieth Century Pictures merged with Fox Film Corporation and became a new public company. The new name was Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation. The company would remain independent until 1984, when Australia based News Corporation took complete control over the company. With this move came the launch of the Fox Broadcasting Company, as they would hire Paramount's Barry Diller, whose original plan to launch a new terrestrial television network was rejected by Paramount.
20th Century Fox includes several subsidiary companies, among them 20th Century Fox Studios, 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, FX, FOX Broadcasting Company, Fox Entertainment Group, New Regency Productions, and the remnants of Blue Sky Studios, although the former Blue Sky studio is now known as Fox Animation Studios and is under 21st Century Fox.
On December 14, 2017, it was announced that The Walt Disney Company would be purchasing most of 21st Century Fox's assets, including the 20th Century Fox film studio, 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Television and FX. The FOX network, Fox Television Stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel and the 20th Century Fox studio lot are not included in the deal but are planned to be spun off into a separate company, Fox Corporation, while FSN will be sold off to other potential buyers. The Disney-21st Century Fox deal has obtained antitrust approval of the US Department of Justice Antitrust division, the European Commission and most other foreign regulatory bodies and, as of February 2019, requires only approval from Brazil and Mexico to be finalized, with the finalization of the sale to occur as early as February or March 2019 or as late as June 2019.
Current television assets (to be acquired by Disney)
- 20th Century Fox Television, including:
- FX, cable network
- FXX, cable network
- FXM, movie network
- Hulu, online TV network (31% ownership; to increase to 60% ownership for Disney upon finalization of sale)
Former television assets
- New World Television, TV unit of New World Entertainment; folded into News Corporation in January 1997
- Four Star Television, folded into New World Television in 1989, then into News Corporation in January 1997 with the latter's acquisition of New World
- MTM Enterprises, folded into News Corporation on August 15, 1998
Assets to be spun off to Fox Corporation
- FOX, broadcast network, including:
- Fox Television Stations, TV stations owned and operated by the network
- MyNetworkTV, TV syndication service
- Fox News Channel, news network
- Fox Business Network, business news network
- Movies!, movie network (50% ownership)
Assets to be sold to other buyers
- FSN, sports network