21st Century Fox
| This article about a company needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
21st Century Fox is one of the world's largest media and entertainment companies. The company was created on June 28, 2013 through a split of the assets of the former News Corporation into two companies; the publishing and newspaper division was spun off into a new version of News Corporation (doing business under the name News Corp), while the film, television and broadcasting unit was reorganized as 21st Century Fox. Both companies continue to be controlled by founder Rupert Murdoch.
Major movie studio 20th Century Fox was founded in 1935 when Twentieth Century Pictures merged with Fox Film Corporation and became a new public company. The new name was Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation. The company would remain independent until 1984, when Australia based News Corporation took complete control over the company. With this move came the launch of the Fox Broadcasting Company, as they would hire Paramount's Barry Diller, whose original plan to launch a new terrestrial television network was rejected by Paramount.
20th Century Fox includes several subsidiary companies, among them 20th Century Fox Studios, 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, FX, FOX Broadcasting Company, Fox Entertainment Group, New Regency Productions, and the remnants of Blue Sky Studios, although the former Blue Sky studio is now known as Fox Animation Studios and is under 21st Century Fox.
On December 14, 2017, it was announced that The Walt Disney Company would be purchasing most of 21st Century Fox's assets, including the 20th Century Fox film studio, 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Television and FX. The FOX network, Fox Television Stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel, FSN and the 20th Century Fox studio lot are not included in the deal but are planned to be spun off into an independent company. The Disney-21st Century Fox deal will require the approval of the US Department of Justice Antitrust division and the European Commission to be finalized.
Current television assets
- 20th Century Fox Television, including:
- FOX, broadcast network, including:
- Fox Television Stations, TV stations owned and operated by the network
- MyNetworkTV, TV syndication service
- FX, cable network
- FXX, cable network
- FSN, sports network
- FXM, movie network
- Fox News Channel, news network
- Hulu, online TV network (31% ownership)
Former television assets
- New World Television, TV unit of New World Entertainment; folded into News Corporation in January 1997
- Four Star Television, folded into New World Television in 1989, then into News Corporation in January 1997 with the latter's acquisition of New World
- MTM Enterprises, folded into News Corporation on August 15, 1998