Veronica Mars/Return of the Kane
Return of the Kane is the sixth episode of the first season of Veronica Mars.
Starring: Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Percy Daggs III (Wallace Fennel), Teddy Dunn (Duncan Kane), Jason Dohring (Logan Echolls), Sydney Tamiia Poitier (Mallory Dent), Francis Capra (Eli "Weevil" Navarro)
Co-Starring: Brad Bufanda (Felix Toombs), Duane Daniels (Mr. Clemmons), Ryan Hansen (Richard "Dick" Casablancas), Brandon Hillock (Deputy Jerry Sacks), Amanda Noret (Madison Sinclair), Graham Sterling (News Anchor), Brigitte Graham (Student Newscaster), Jonathan Chesner (Corny), Drancy Jackson (Off Camera Boy), Brad Surosky (Puck Rock Kid), Andrea Rosenthal (Laura Hildebrand), Carey Scott (Guy With Camera)
At the Echolls residence, a tour bus is waiting for Aaron to make an appearance, even if Logan isn't thrilled about the strangers on his stoop. Later, Logan takes a chance meeting with a homeless vet to attempt enlisting him in an "amateur boxing night." While the homeless man didn't take him up, Logan eventually did find two bums to fight for the 09er amusement. But, thanks to The Smoking Gun website, the bum fight is splashed all over the media. Aaron finds out about Logan's deed, and demands that he do community service at a homeless shelter. Aaron's reasons are strictly business, as he wants to save face. Due to an coincidental quote by a homeless veteran, Logan becomes inspired to put the screws to his father, and forces him to donate a half-million dollars to the Neptune Food Bank. His idea earns him a whipping.
At school, Jake Kane encourages his son to run for student president. His main competition is Wanda Varner, representing the non-09er crowd. Wanda believes that the rich, popular kids should be put on equal footing with everyone else, and she wants to start that process by getting rid of Pirate Points, a system where people in athletics and student council are treated better than others. Duncan is unwillingly recruited by Logan and his father to run for student president.
But, when the votes are tallied, it turns out Duncan wins by a landslide, contrary to the crowd chanting Wanda's name would have people believe. Veronica finds this suspicious, and decides to have the ballots checked. After noting that one of the ballots voting for Duncan has "Wanda Rulez" written on it, Veronica investigates. She finds out that the names were switched in her journalism class and in the art class, so the 09'ers voted for Duncan, while the other classes, who thought they were voting for Wanda, voted for Duncan as well. The re-vote still swings Duncan's way.
Wanda's declining popularity was primarily due to accusations of being a narc, which Veronica proved. Veronica invited Wanda to a rave, and mentioned getting some ecstasy. Then, a school locker search confirms that Wanda ratted her out. Duncan's winning isn't the worst thing though, because he extends Pirate Point powers to other (non-09er) groups, like the newspaper staff, band members, and vocational students.
On a TV news report, the Mars family finds out that Abel Koontz fired his lawyer, and seems ready to accept his fate. Veronica still believes her father that Abel didn't do it, but Keith doesn't care. We learn that Abel Koontz was found with Lilly's backpack and shoes in his possession, tying him to the murder scene. While going over her father's case file, she finds new photos of Lilly's room after the crime. One picture contains the same shoes that Abel was supposed to have in his possession from the night of the murder.
Behind the Scenes
- ZOOM IN! MAGNIFY! ENHANCE!
Allusions and References
- "Dude, you gotta check out the Smoking Gun website." TSG is a fairly well-known site for bringing secrets to light.
- Veronica has a hallucination of talking with Lilly, shot in a green tint filter.
- When the homeless veteran sees Logan the second time, his quote reminds Logan of what Aaron does for a living.
- Veronica: Why are you here?
- Lilly: Don't you watch any horror movies? My soul is doomed to walk the earth until justice has been served.
- Veronica: Really?
- Lilly: Yeah, that and as kind of a side project, I dispense fashion advice.
- Veronica: Why would he wanted to have killed you?
- Lilly: Honestly! I was awesome, right?
- Veronica: Well if "Wanda Rulez" why did you vote for Duncan you headcase? I want to find out who this kid is and what art room he voted in.
- Wallace: And I want a statue of myself in the main lobby with a musket, staring down danger.
- Homeless Veteran: It's Don King. You find someone willin' to make a bitch outta hisself for cash?