| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
Emancipation is the fourth episode of the first season of Stargate SG-1, and the fourth episode overall.
On the planet Simarka (P3X-593), the SG-1 team meets the Shavadai; a race of people similar to the ancient Mongols of Earth. These skilled horsemen and fierce warriors operate by a strict code, which includes second-class status for women. Dr. Samantha Carter, who takes a back seat to no man, is threatened by death on her first encounter with the Shavadai chief, Mughal, and is only spared because she saved the life of his son, Abu. Carter faces peril again when she is kidnapped by Abu, who hopes to trade her for the hand of Nya, the daughter of Mughal's powerful enemy, Turghan. The deal goes bad and Carter ends up the unwilling property of the warrior chief. She is determined to escape but torn by pity for the lovelorn Nya and Abu. Carter arranges Nya's escape from Turghan's tyranny and is rescued from his clutches by O'Neill and the SG-1 team. But, Carter's ordeal is not over yet; Turghan caught his daughter trying to elope and will stone her to death for her disloyalty unless Carter can defeat him in combat. In the circle of battle, Carter must prove she is the equal of any man -- or die trying.
- Syndication airdate: September 28, 1998.
- Simarka was designated P3X-593.
- It is mentioned during the campfire scene after Captain Carter's rescue, Colonel O'Neill mentions that Carter drank a substance on P3X-595 that made her take all her clothes off
- Neither the name Simarka or P3X-593 is mentioned in the actual episode. This information was probably obtained from the old Showtime website.
- Don S. Davis does not appear in this episode.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
Jack: "Guess I'd better cancel that Oprah interview" Teal'c: "What is an ... Oprah"?
"Oprah" is a long running chat show hosted by Oprah Winfrey. They have many guests on, some discussing new inventions, as Jack was sarcastically hoping to do.
Native: That one is a woman.
Jack: Observant bunch.
Abu: No, I cannot look at you!
Carter: Okay, now I'm hurt.
Carter: Daniel, find me an anthropologist that dresses like this and I will eat this headdress.
Carter: What a relief! I've never been so happy to see you guys.
Jack: Oh sure you have! Remember that time on P3X-595. You drank that stuff that made you take off...
Carter: (interrupting) We won't get into that right now!
Jack: Guess I'd better cancel that Oprah interview.
Teal'c: What is an Oprah?
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0