Offspring is the seventh episode of the third season of Angel, and the fifty-first episode overall. Darla comes back to Los Angeles once she realizes that there's no one who can help her with her mysterious pregnancy.
Co-Starring: Heidi Marnhout (Fury #1), An Le (Fury #2), Madison Gray (Fury #3), Robert Peters (Arney), Sergio Premoli (Monseigneur), Van Epperson (Bus Driver), Peyton Miller, Christian Miller (Johnny), Kathleen McMartin (Mom), Theresa Arrison (Johnny's Mom)
As Wesley and Fred try translating an ancient scroll to decipher an important prophesy, a pregnant Darla arrives at the Hyperion. As everyone searches for answers, question raise over its connection to the prophesy and the greater meaning of the unborn child.
Monster of the Week
- There is no monster of the week in this episode.
|3/4/5||Passengers||Darla||Drained of Blood||Bus|
No licensed music was used in this episode.
- Angel's Kid: The horrible lovechild of Angel and Darla may not be as evil as the prophecy may have previously indicated. Not only is it not a vampire (it has a heartbeat), but it also has a soul.
- Caritas: After his club was shot up by Gunn's old crew in a previous episode, Lorne is finally getting around to reopening the club. In this episode, he's redecorating and having a new protection spell (which works on both humans and demons) cast.
- Holtz: Angel's nemesis Holtz has been resurrected by a demon. Considering how much trouble he gave Angel and Darla in the past, he'll likely continue this trend.
- 1x12 - Expecting: Cordelia was impregnated by a man acting as a proxy for a demon. After sleeping with a man she met with a party, she found that she was several months pregnant overnight.
- Cordelia: I was pregnant once. I was out to here overnight! Mystical thing.
- 1x03 - That Old Gang of Mine: Cordelia met the furies when she was sent to ask them to remove the sanctuary spell from Caritas. She eventually realized that the debt Angel owes them isn't one that could be paid with money and is one that she "isn't equipped" for.
- Cordelia: And here we have three more of Angel's chippies. You girls are on the pill I hope.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 4.3/6 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 6th out of the 17 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- Angelus: Darlin’?
- Darla: What?
- Angelus: Shouldn't we be killing Holtz?
- Darla: I know, but it's just so much fun ruining his life. He's like family now.
- Angel: What's this?
- Cordelia: Oh, it's just so dark and lifeless down here. I thought I'd brighten it up a little for you. You, uh, can't exactly go out and enjoy the sunny fields of nature, but that doesn't mean we can't bring a little bloom into your darkness.
- Angel: They're fake.
- Cordelia: Yeah. You put something real in this hellhole and it'd die like that.
- Angel: Take you and me, for instance. We're very different. Very different, obviously. Human, vampire. Woman, man... pire.
- Cordelia: Has someone been putting vodka in your blood?
- Cordelia: Hey, what are friends for?
- Darla: If you ask me, they're for knocking you up and leaving you high and dry.
- Fred: Who's Darla?
- Gunn: Angel's old flame from way back.
- Fred: Not the one who died.
- Gunn: Yeah. No, not that one. The other one that died and came back to life. She's a vampire.
- Fred: Do y'all have a chart or something?
- Gunn: In the files. I'll get it for you later.
- Angel: I suggest you use your books and find out what's going on. What, do I have to think of everything?
- (Wesley grabs a book and opens it)
- Wesley: Oh, here it is. It says, "I have absolutely no idea what's going on."
- Lorne: What happened here?
- Darla: What's it look like?
- Cordelia: Angel boned her.
- Angel: Just once. Just the one night. Uh, just the two or three one times that one night...
- Fred: Can I say somethin’ about destiny? Screw destiny. If this evil thing comes, we'll fight it and we'll keep fightin' it till we whup it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable. And nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye and say, "You're evitable." (pauses) Well, you catch my drift.
- Angel: Where is she?
- Wesley: She got away.
- Gunn: We tried to stop her by hitting her fists and feet with our faces, but--
- Angel: You're not alone in this anymore. We'll deal with this together.
- Darla: Gosh. I'm the luckiest vampire girl in the whole world.