Expecting is the twelfth episode of the first season of Angel. When Cordelia winds up eight months pregnant shortly after sleeping with a man she met at a club, Angel and Wesley attempt to stop the birth from taking place before it kills her.
After Cordelia goes on a date with a man, the night ends with sex. The next morning she discovers that she is several months pregnant. Even worse is when it’s discovered that what she’s carrying isn’t human.
Monster of the Week
- Haxil Beast: The Haxil beast is an inner earth demon that can imbue humans with its lifeforce, which allows them to impregnate women with the demon's children. After doing the deed, the victim woman wakes up the next morning eight months pregnant with multiple demon children. The Haxil controls these women using a telepathic link to its children. It can't be killed by fire or decapitation and is very, very large. In the episode, it is frozen with liquid nitrogen and shattered. The act of destroying the monster terminates the pregnancies.
|1||Hatching Demon||Angel & Wesley||Stabbed and Pummelled||24 Cabrillo|
|2||Haxil Demon||Cordelia||Shattered||Demon Lair|
Music is listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- Splashdown - "Games You Play"
- Shayna R. NuDelman - "Deeper Than a Milkshake"
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 5.8/9 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 3rd out of the 15 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- The Joker: The Joker is a Batman villain who was disfigured by a chemical spill, which gave him green hair and white skin. Joker is one of Batman's greatest enemies and is known for committing random acts of violence with an insane flair for the dramatic.
- Cordelia: And now I look like the Joker.
- Evita: Evita is a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber about the rise to power of Juan Perón, Argentina's president. The title revers to his wife, Evita, who plays a significant role in the musical. Cordelia refers to the 1996 movie adaptation of the musical starring Antonio Banderas and Madonna.
- Cordelia: I'll play Evita around the clock. The one with Madonna!
- Alien: When the doctor withdraws some amniotic fluid it cracks the syringe, spills on the floor and eats right through it, like an acid, and very much like the monster's blood in the science fiction horror movie Alien (1979).
- David and Goliath: In the biblical story of David and Goliath, the Philistine army attempted to wage war on the Israelites. Their champion, Goliath, issued a challenge to the Israelite army, saying that if one of their warriors can kill him, the Philistines would become subjects of their army and conversely if they couldn't. After many failed attempts, a young man named David killed Goliath by hitting him with a stone from a makeshift slingshot and cutting off his head.
- Wesley: As a heathen I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with the biblical story of David and Goliath. But I assure you it's of particular relevance to this situation.
- (discussing filing)
- Angel: All right, so, why is Mrs. Benson filed under "F"?
- Cordelia: Because she's from France. Remember what a pain she was?
- Angel: Yeah. It made me wanna drink a lot.
- Cordelia: Well, that's the French for ya.
- Wesley: Hello. I was just in the neighbourhood, patrolling with my new Bavarian fighting axe when I suddenly thought, "Perhaps Cordelia's had a vision." Perhaps you need my help in the battle against evil.
- Angel: We seem to be evil-free at the moment.
- Wesley: I also packed along a "Word Puzzle 3-D," if either of you has the nerve to take me on.
- Cordelia: Gee, Wesley, I'd love to... but unlike you, I'm not in my eighties quite yet.
- Wesley: I mean, no one's more fond of Cordelia than I, but if she wants to go gadabouting with those doxies...
- Angel: I think they liked you.
- Wesley: Really? I-I didn't mean doxy in a sexually promiscuous sense, exactly... You don't think sticking the axe in the wall put them off?
- Angel: That was charming.
- Wesley: What about the fact they thought we were gay?
- Angel: Adds mystery.
- Angel: (seeing Cordelia drink his pig's blood) I don't think I've ever realised just how disgusting that was.
- Wilson: This is a private club. Featured word: private.
- Angel: You don't talk to me, I'll kick your ass. Featured word: ass.
- Cordelia: You're not going to hurt my babies. No one's going to hurt my babies.
- Angel: I really don't like it when people shot me.
- Demon: Who are you?
- Wesley: Wesley Wyndham-Pryce, Rogue Demon Hunter, and I'm here to fight you, sir, to the death... preferably yours.
- Cordelia: I learned something, too. I learned, um, men are evil? Oh wait, I knew that. I learned that L.A. is full of self-serving phonies. No, had that one down, too. Ahh... sex is bad?
- Angel: We all knew that.
- Cordelia: Okay. I learned that I have two people I trust absolutely with my life. And that part's new.