First Impressions is the third episode of the second season of Angel, and the twenty-fifth episode overall. Cordelia has a vision of Gunn in trouble and she assigns herself as his protector.
Co-Starring: Edwin Hodge (Keenan), Lucas Babin (Joey), Alan Shaw (Deevak), Angel Parker (Veronica), Ray Campbell (Desmond), Sarah Brooke (Nurse), Janet Song (Dr. Thomas), Kelli Kirkland (Young Black Woman)
Cordelia gets a vision that Gunn’s life is in danger and vows to stay by his side to keep him safe. Meanwhile, Angel has been spending inordinate amounts of time sleeping, his dreams all featuring Darla.
Monster of the Week
- Deevak: Deevak is an extremely strong demon that can transform into a human form. While transformed, he's over seven feet tall and can easily lift a couple hundred pounds one-handed. In his human form, he's just as strong, but is much shorter and more vulnerable.
|3||Deevak||Angel||Axe to the Head||Garage|
Music listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- Oleta Adams - "Get Here"
- Kurrupt - "Ride With Us"
- Angel: Darla has been appearing in Angel's dreams, likely due to her resurrection. At the end of the episode she appears in his room while he's asleep.
- 2x20 - War Zone: Gunn mentions his sister's death while in the waiting room of the hospital. Gunn's sister was kidnapped and transformed by a pack of a vampires, he was forced to stake her after finding their lair.
- Final Appearance: This is the last time that David Nabbit appears in the series. He was originally meant to appear in more episodes, but David Herman's schedule didn't allow for filming.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 4.3/6 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 6th out of the 17 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- C-3P0: In the Star Wars film saga, C-3P0 is a protocol droid built by Anakin Skywalker while he was a child living on Tatooine. 3P0 is extremely timid and tries not to get into situations that would be dangerous, but typically winds up either in pieces or put in a place of extreme danger due to his companion, R2-D2. The droid is programmed with hundreds of different languages and speaks in a British accent.
- Gunn: I find Deevak, I'm gonna need more than C-3P0 and 'stick figure Barbie' backing me up.
- L.A. Confidential: L.A. Confidential is a film adaptation of the book of the same name by James Ellroy. The movie tells three stories dealing with Los Angeles police in the 1950s and the cult of the celebrity built out of Hollywood. Guy Pearce played a detective who ran against the corruption and was singled out by the dirty cops when he testified for the prosecution in a police brutality case. Cordelia asks the Gunn take a cooler, more reserved attitude towards his informant, like Pearce's character.
- Cordelia: When you do find him, you may wanna be a little more Guy Pearce in L.A Confidential...
- Reservoir Dogs: Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs is a film about a diamond heist gone wrong. As the team of robbers get to their safehouse, they attempt to figure out who in the team was a mole while one of them lies dying on the floor. In the movie, Michael Madsen is Mr. Blonde, a madman who winds up torturing a police officer he captured before attempting to light him on fire.
- Cordelia: ...and less Michael Madsen in Reservoir Dogs?
- Malcolm X: Gunn is referring to Malcolm X, a Spike Lee biopic about the black revolutionary leader for which Denzel Washington was nominated for his role as X. Washington was beat out for Best Actor in a Leading Role by Al Pachino, who won for his role in Scent of a Woman.
- Gunn: I haven't bothered to see a movie since Denzel was robbed at the Oscars for Malcom X.
- The Host: Now tell the truth. You've been practising, haven't you?
- Angel: A little.
- The Host: Probably not in front of the mirror.
- Cordelia: (cleaning the Hyperion) Ugh. This place is never gonna get clean.
- Wesley: Buck up. It's just a little dust.
- Cordelia: Oh, this isn't mere dust. This is "Son of Dust". This is the kind of dust that spawns countless generations of little baby dust. I give up.
- Cordelia: Maybe we can help.
- Gunn: (about Wes and Cordy) You two? I find Deevak, I'm going to need more than C-3P0 and Stick-Figure Barbie backin' me up. No offence.
- Wesley: Very little taken.
- Wesley: Angel, it’s me!
- Angel: What are you doing here?
- Wesley: Gunn’s in trouble. Can’t breathe!
- Angel: Gunn can’t breathe?
- Wesley: I can’t breathe!
- Angel: Oh, sorry.
- Cordelia: Angel is not gonna be happy. Do you know what he’s gonna do to me when he finds out I let his car get stolen? I mean, what are the chances that a vampire has full insurance with a low deductible?
- Cordelia: Paging Mr Rationalisation.
- Gunn: Paging Ms About-to-be-thrown-out-of-a-moving-vehicle.
- Veronica: Who's your friend?
- Cordelia: Who, me? I'm no friend. I mean, I'm just here on business. I'm a working girl. That came out wrong. I mean, obviously I'm not a "working girl." Not that I couldn't be if I wanted to, of course. I could. God, that sounded stuck up, didn't it? I didn't mean to imply that I could be a working girl and you couldn't. Far from it. You'd make a great... Could you just point me to the hor d'oeuvers?
- Wesley: Come on. What are you waiting for?
- Angel: (holding up pink motorcycle helmet) I-I really don't think it's gonna fit.
- Wesley: Of course it will. Put it on.
- Angel: You know, I—I don't need a helmet for protection.
- Wesley: Angel. It's the law in California. Do you want us to get pulled over?
- Angel: No.
- Wesley: Then what's the problem?
- Angel: Well, it's just, you know, the whole visibility issue, not to mention the whole hat-head thing, and when you really think about it, how come I have to wear the ladies helmet?
- Wesley: Stop being such a wanker and put it on.
- (Angel puts the helmet on and leers at Wesley)
- Wesley: Looks good. Hop on board, gorgeous.
- Angel: You'll pay for this.
- Darla: You take care of so many people, but who takes care of you?
- Angel: (smiling) You do.