|On January 4, 2015, I will be shutting down the server that hosts The TV IV website. It has been a very long time since I've been able to put any decent amount of time into the site, and ad revenue is plummeting. I think it is time to shut it down or hand it off to someone who can keep it going properly. If you are interested in taking over the site's code and data, contact administrators at tviv.org. --CygnusTMtalk|
From The TV IV
Untouched is the fourth episode of the second season of Angel, and the twenty-sixth episode overall. A girl with telekinetic powers is pulled between her friend at Wolfram & Hart and Angel.
Monster of the Week
- Bethany Chaulk: As a result of some childhood trauma, most likely stemming from being abused by her father, Bethany Chaulk developed psychic powers that manifest in telekinesis. However, she can't consciously control her abilities. Instead, she blacks out momentarilly during moments of extreme stress and things around her aren't where she left them. With Angel's help, she learns to use her power constructively.
|1/2||Would-be Rapists||Bethany||Crushed by a Dumpster||Alley|
Music listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- The Opus Music Library - At the Fairground
- Wolfram & Hart: Much like the blind woman from Blind Date, Wolfram & Hart is attempting to turn Bethany into an in-house assassin. They hired the "rapists" to attack Bethany in hopes of unlocking her powers.
- Angel Investigations: Angel starts to pay Gunn on a case by case basis for his help.
- Angel: Darla has been using calynthia powder to keep Angel sedated while she has her way with him. This explains the long periods of sleep he's been getting.
- Gunn: Gunn's finely crafted hubcap axe makes its first appearance in this episode. Despite how goofy it looks, it becomes one of his main weapons of choice over the course of the series.
- BtVS - 3x08 - Lover's Walk: Cordelia refers to an incident back in Sunnydale when she fell through an old, decaying staircase and was impaled on a piece of re-bar. This was actually taken from a similar experience from Charisma Carpenter's childhood.
- Angel: You know how hard it is to think straight with a re-bar through your torso?
- Cordelia: Actually, I do. Benefits of a Sunnydale education.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 4.6/6 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 4th out of the 17 WB shows which aired that week.
Allusions and References
- Ebeneezer: Cordelia refers to Ebeneezer Scrooge, the antagonist of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. In the story, Scrooge is a miserly money-changer who values his wealth over anything, even the well-being of his employees. In the story, Scrooge is visited by three ghosts, who show him visions of Christmas in the past, present and future. At the end of the night, he reforms out of fear of his own mortality.
- Mr. Bill: Mr. Bill is a claymation character who regularly appeared on Saturday Night Live. In each Mr. Bill sketch, he would wind up getting crushed or otherwise maimed in some kind of accident. The "Oh noooooooo!" that the officer says after referencing Mr. Bill is a reference to his catchphrase, which he would yell whenever he was in the midst of being harmed.
- The Incredible Hulk: On the Incredible Hulk television series, Bill Bixby was well known for the phrase, "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." When enraged by something, David Banner would transform into a giant green monster known as the Hulk, played by Lou Ferrigno.
- Angel: You wouldn't like me when I'm happy.
- Lilah gives the word to her operatives to "pull the trigger" on Bethany. After Angel successfully calms her down, there is a knock at the door and, after she realizes that the man at the door is her father, Bethany blows out all the windows on the top floor of the hotel.
- Gunn: Fair Cordelia. You still saving my life?
Cordelia: Every minute.
Gunn: How's that working out?
Cordelia: You're alive, aren't you?
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0